Anybody know if a VOXAC30C2 would be loud enough for full-band jamming/small gigs? Would it still be capable of a decent clean at those volumes or should I look elsewhere? I'm looking for an all-tube amp that could clean up well but still do some good nasty tones at a decent volume.
Plenty loud.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
When I was living with my parents I couldn't turn my AC30 past 12 o clock because it would shake the walls in the house. There is a video on Youtube of someone playing one in the woods, with the guy recording a couple yards away and its still loud as hell.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Anything that's tube and more than 20 watts will be enough for gigging. And it has phenomenal cleans that will only get better with volume.
i am going to go on the other end of the fence and say do not buy that amp.

its way to damn loud. not only it is crazy friggin loud, they weigh about 70-80 pounds. its a mofo.

great amp. a classic. but go with the 15 and your ear and back doctors, neighbors, parents, and sound men to be will all thank me later.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^ You will not be able to keep a 15 clean at gigging volume unless you are using an awesome PA. The 30 is fine, and plenty loud. Plus, you get the added benefit of a larger reverb tank and an FX loop if that's your thing.
I borrowed a friend's ac30 for a while and while it was definitely loud enough for jamming, I couldn't get enough clean headroom out of it. It might have been enough for some people, but it's right on the edge so to me it's something you need to play in context in order to decide.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yes. I am able to play in small rooms with my Vox AC15 barely breaking up, so the AC30 will definitely be able to stay clean.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
It depends entirely on how loud your drummer is. Wtf has room size got to do with it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well true. these days 99% of the time i see a guy miced.

and 50% of gigs i see a guy using a blues junior. so i still would veer towards the 15. thats just me.

however, the FX loop is a big one for me. need that. i would probably look into a ac30 head personally to avoid the 80 pound monster than is the ac30.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Cathbard
It depends entirely on how loud your drummer is. Wtf has room size got to do with it?

I don't know about purely room size, but the room we practice in required me to turn my old fender hot rod all the way up to the point of break up on the clean channel. But we played at this church and I had to turn it down a lot because it was just filling up the room. So different rooms can require different volumes. I'm sure the size has some influence, but I guess the general acoustics of the room are more important.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ikey_
well true. these days 99% of the time i see a guy miced.

and 50% of gigs i see a guy using a blues junior. so i still would veer towards the 15. thats just me.

however, the FX loop is a big one for me. need that. i would probably look into a ac30 head personally to avoid the 80 pound monster than is the ac30.

That's what I love about my AC30 though, being able to carry that thing without breaking much a sweat and watching the other bands be amazed

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the AC30CC's have a switch that lets you switch the bias down to 22 watts if you need it to be a little quieter.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The C2 will be plenty loud. Definitely not the loudest 30 watter ever though. The TB/6 is worlds louder than the C2 and CC2. A Budda Superdrive 30 is also worlds louder than a C2 or CC2.
Well I've owned a C2, CC2, and the Superdrive. It's more than noticeably louder. So is the AC30 TB/6. A little exaggeration never hurt anything. ha

And I only compare the Superdrive because it's another 30 watt EL84 amp.
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I don't know about purely room size, but the room we practice in required me to turn my old fender hot rod all the way up to the point of break up on the clean channel. But we played at this church and I had to turn it down a lot because it was just filling up the room. So different rooms can require different volumes. I'm sure the size has some influence, but I guess the general acoustics of the room are more important.

This. Room size has some to do with it. I've played with ball shattering loud drummers. Some rooms just fill up more. Other rooms required miking, but that was more for better sound spread via the mains. I've honestly never played in a room were 12'oclock on the master volume wasn't enough. I play with both volumes at 12'oclock with a Tele and my clean tone is barely breaking up. I have to pick hard for that. I never said it was everything. Funny how one small thing can be blown to such proportions. To be fair, I'm playing the kind of stuff where a 15-20 watt tube amp on the edge is a desirable sound and sound men kill you if you use a louder amp than that to get that sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Then the drummer will be filling the room more - it's still about the volume of the drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification