I haven't played for about 20 years.

I used to be one of Maggies Millions, and spent my teenage/early twenties playing 8-12 hours a day. I used to play a 1978/9 Gibson The Payl that my mate with a job bought from the shop on my behalf, and I paid him back ten quid a week for months. That was half of what was left of my dole money for two weeks after paying rent to my folks.

20 years ago, I decided I needed to go to University and get a degree and a job, so I stopped playing totally, and sold the Gibson. I should never have sold that guitar, it was amazing.

So now I have job, a wife, a mortgage, and an itch. The itch is new, and it's the itch to play again.

I don't hold any illusions that I'll ever again be as good as I was, but I can still feel that Gibson in my hands, and I still dream about how well it played and how amazing it sounded.

I spent the last month mooching around guitar shops trying to find something relatively cheap that felt something like that guitar. Nothing at all even came close.

Until today.

Today I played a 2013 Gibson Les Paul '70's Tribute. Not the 2012 Studio 70's Tribute, the new one with satin nitro, no scratch plate and Dirty Fingers pups.

It's definitely heavier than my walnut Paul (ooh err missus), but in just about every other regard it was about as close as I'm going to get, unless a genuine un-modded 78/9 Paul comes up in the UK.

It felt amazing. The neck profile was exactly as I remember and there's a headstock volute that makes it feel really familiar an comfortable. The top is carved, obviously, whereas the Paul,was slab fronted, but I didn't actually feel much difference in playing position from that.

The fret ends would need some attention, as they are slightly proud to my taste, and the nut creaked a little tuning. The action was a bit higher than the very low level i prefer, but there was absolutely no sign of any buzz, some reckon it'll drop a but. This is frankly all stuff I'd expect to do on any new guitar to get it to meet my fussiness.

Some think I found my new baby.

All I have to do now is convince the missus that we need to spend a grand on guitar and amp, not the £500 I was hoping to get away with.

Anyone have good techniques for convincing the spouse?
Quote by sannyasidharma

show her how much all her shoes cost.
Quote by sannyasidharma

Don't say 'Oooo err' at the slightest opportunity of an innuendo. What started with an attempt to get a guitar could end in divorce.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Single with no dependent player here; monitoring this thread to learn some lessons to take with me for the future.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
how about you just don't tell her exactly how much it cost. Say it cost 500 or it was one sale, failing that, reminding her how much she spends on shoes could work (you only really need two pairs, one for work and one for everything else.) Or handbags, why do women think they need more than one?
That's a tough one. What I have done is get one thing at a time so as to not overwhelm her with s bunch of new things. I have also accumulated a lot and then traded them in for better pieces of gear. I guess you could make the argument that playing the better quality equipment will save you more in the long haul might be a valid argument. Either way if it doesn't make sense to her it will be a hard time convincing her. That being said I always look at that as a challenge.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13