Page 1 of 3
I may have made this thread before but I can't find it now.

I've gone through extended periods of feeling like shit, but I don't think I've ever experienced true depression.
How do you know when you're depressed? At what point should you seek help?
When you feel you need to get help.

You'll know when you're clinically depressed when you're experiencing the symptoms of depression and you take the next step after being officially diagnosed by a doctor.

If you're talking from a personal POV, depression is slightly different for everyone, as the causes of depression are often complex. But generally its a feeling of an extremely low mood, an apathetic view on your own life, anxiety, feelings of inferiority and guilt.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 25, 2013,
Being uninterested in everything, not wanting to eat, often hard to sleep, feel as if you're worthless and no one cares, and fatigued are some symptoms and signs.

I don't know about when you should seek help. Certainly before you start thinking about killing yourself.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Depression is different for different people.

If my psychiatrist is right, and I do have it, then I guess it feels like being empty, robotic, humorless, without particular taste for much of anything, inwardly occupied, exhausted and restless as the same time
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

You'll know when you're clinically depressed when you're experiencing the symptoms of depression and you take the next step after being officially diagnosed by a doctor.

How do you know if your situation is bad enough to justify visiting a doctor?
Quote by sashki

When this happens.

It's a metaphor.

In my opinion, as soon as you start thinking of suicide and ways of effectively committing it. Even before that. When hopelessness seems like the norm.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by sashki

that determination is made by them using clinical instruments like structured interviews and self-report questionnaires.
I have phases of ultra-good mood where I'm happy and kind and good buddy to everyone.

But then I have phases of this misanthropic, apathetic, destructive mood where I'm total asshole and feel like crying all the time and it feels so good... (what the ****, you feel "good"?) Yeah, it's weird. I kinda feel good when I feel bad, it's complicated.
And my creativity is much more active when I'm in the latter mood.

I guess I have depression. But I can cope with it myself.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Last edited by TheNameOfNoone at Jun 25, 2013,
Quitting something that you used to love is a major signal.

Quote by TheNameOfNoone
But then I have phases of this misanthropic, apathetic, destructive mood where I'm total asshole and feel like crying all the time and it feels so good... (what the ****, you feel "good"?) Yeah, it's weird. But I feel good when I feel bad, it's complicated.

I remember feeling like that when I was depressed. Being sad, helpless, and angry at everything just felt... yeah, you're right, it felt good.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
Quitting something that you used to love is a major signal.

Last month, I almost gave up playing guitar. It felt so plain and pointless.
But then I discovered Porcupine Tree, which gave me inspiration to continue. Thank you Steven Wilson.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Aw yeah.
Quote by sashki

Depends. When is a genital wart large enough to become a genital wart?

If I felt that if I just had a very low and persistent mood in general, I would see a doctor. Its hard to quantify how low, low is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If you're talking from a personal POV, depression is slightly different for everyone, as the causes of depression are often complex. But generally its a feeling of an extremely low mood, an apathetic view on your own life, anxiety, feelings of inferiority and guilt.

Are you really saying that those who don't seek help/find a doctor/see a shrink, aren't really depressed?

I hope I'm just being silly and not properly getting what you meant.
Feeling tired all the time, no enthusiasm, lack of happiness and motivation, loss of appetite, uninhibited anger. You let it go on and it turns into suicidal thoughts, feelings and actions, reckless and careless behavior, no respect for yourself or for your own life. It's not a fun experience to go through deep, deep depression.

I've been in that seat several times and I still am. And as someone who's still experiencing the effects of depression after years of trying to deal with it, If anyone feeling like that constantly and consistently, I'd say you need to try to admit your behavior and feelings to yourself (possibly others) and seek help.

Quote by Owenlee55
Are you really saying that those who don't seek help/find a doctor/see a shrink, aren't really depressed?

The hardest part is admitting it to yourself. I finally couldn't handle it on my own anymore and broke down to my mother. People with depression don't think rationally. They see their signs and symptoms in a different light than a healthy individual.

You blame it on yourself and you start to let feelings of self loathing set in. Many depressed people refuse treatment because no one wants to be labeled with it, especially with the social stigma it carries.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by Owenlee55

I hope I'm just being silly and not properly getting what you meant.

As far as authorities such as the NHS are concerned, a person is not clinically depressed until they're diagnosed clinically depressed. That's how medical diagnosis works.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Its all subjective man.
If you don't know if you have it, you might not. No one else can make that call, though.
Everyone knows that ups and downs are to be expected out of life but depression is more like a recursive nihilistic downward spiral. Its hard to mistake for anything else.
sigless
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
As far as authorities such as the NHS are concerned, a person is not clinically depressed until they're diagnosed clinically depressed. That's how medical diagnosis works.

I know, but the way it was put forth (to me anyhow) was that if you don't seek help you're not really depressed.
Quote by Owenlee55
I know, but the way it was put forth (to me anyhow) was that if you don't seek help you're not really depressed.

I should have put a comma in there somewhere...
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I should have put a comma in there somewhere...

I see now, cool.
I don't understand why people are saying they're depressed just to mark it as some sort of disease, or excuse probably to get attention or whatever.

In one sense, depression is just the period of time in which dopamine levels in the brain haved gone from high to low and the person struggles to recover those dopamine levels.

On the other hand, depression is just a form of low-self esteem which is really common amongst people and anyone who sit on their ass on the couch all day can feel that way. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard being complained about because it can be "snapped" out of just by being productive or producing endorphins through exercise.
"Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite."

Check out my drum covers.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
I don't understand why people are saying they're depressed just to mark it as some sort of disease, or excuse probably to get attention or whatever.

In one sense, depression is just the period of time in which dopamine levels in the brain haved gone from high to low and the person struggles to recover those dopamine levels.

On the other hand, depression is just a form of low-self esteem which is really common amongst people and anyone who sit on their ass on the couch all day can feel that way. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard being complained about because it can be "snapped" out of just by being productive or producing endorphins through exercise.

You obviously don't understand depression or the effect it has on people, but the bold text is just plain wrong and stupid.
ayy lmao
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

If you understand that there is a chemical reason for it then why can't you understand that there'd also be a chemical reason to stop people actively being able to 'snap out' of it? This is why it's a problem that is very difficult to overcome.
you don't really ever need an official diagnoses or any garbage like that. the real question is whether it's effecting your life significantly and if you'd like it to go away.

some people experience periods of depression that eventually subside. others are stuck with a more chronic condition. i recommend visiting a therapist. they will be able to tell you what you should do next in terms of treatment.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

That is the problem with depression - people who haven't gone through it can't truly understand those who have, and they label it as plain whining caused by lack of productive activity.
When, in fact, it is a complicated and f*cked up thing.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Aw yeah.
Last edited by TheNameOfNoone at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

jesus
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

I would say that everyone who doesn't understand depression should suffer from it to truly understand it. But it's not something I would wish on anybody.

Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by Zoot Allures
If you understand that there is a chemical reason for it then why can't you understand that there'd also be a chemical reason to stop people actively being able to 'snap out' of it? This is why it's a problem that is very difficult to overcome.

But steps can be taken to prevent it, right? I.e. Living a healthy lifestyle, and finding the right compensation to deal with situations can stop depression, right?

Well, being depressed is a mental state, and I don't think you need anti-depressants to overcome that state at least. Most of the people who take them say they are better within a few days, even though anti-depressants often take weeks before making a big difference. It's placebo.

If I'm missing anything, let me know.
"Eyeballs deep in muddy water, fucking hypocrite."

Check out my drum covers.
Last edited by NapalmBreakfast at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by NapalmBreakfast
But steps can be taken to prevent it, right? I.e. Living a healthy lifestyle, and finding the right way to deal with situations can stop depression, right?

Well being depressed is a mental state, and I don't think you need anti-depressants to overcome that state at least. Most of the people who take them say they are better within a few days, even though anti-depressants often take weeks before making a big difference. It's placebo.

If I'm missing anything, let me know.

Sure, steps can be taken to prevent it, but steps can also be taken to prevent getting cancer too, not consuming certain foods, tobacco, alcohol, etc, but that doesn't mean you're definitely not going to get cancer.
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

The first part of the bolded section is fair. Depression can be viewed as a symptom rather than a pathology... that's where therapy comes in - root causes and all that jazz.
The second part of the bolded section isn't really too great, man. Unfortunately its a view held by a lot of people who seem to think normal fluctuations in moods are equal to major depression.

As far as the neurotransmitter argument, I'm not sure if it holds water. Last time I checked, the state of the art in endogenous neurotransmitter detection wasn't quite up to par with, say, blood testing for various hormones and other chemicals. If anyone's interested in the paper on neurotransmitter detection, I'd be happy to pm it to them.
You really have to be wary of studies fronted by pharmaceutical companies because by law they are NOT required to publish negative results.
sigless
Quote by NapalmBreakfast

Nope. Depression can result from damage to the limbic system, and trauma can cause people to stop feeling emotion at all. Some depressed individuals feel no identifiable sadness as such, but just exist in a purely physical and mental sense, a meaningless existence they can't escape from.

Personally, I hope you experience psychotic depression so you can experience first hand just how far depression can take people, I doubt you'd be so ****ing chipper if you were hallucinating that your internal organs were rotting, or that you were dead, or hallucinating the smell of corpses. Then everyone could tell you to "snap out of it".

You are so ignorant and full of shit that it's hard for me to justify talking to you, but I know for every one of you there are millions more.

Here's an idea: Either research depression, witness it directly, or shut your ****ing face.
When your therapist diagnoses you

or when you stop liking Lil B
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I would bet that 99% of cases of diagnosed depression would not have been diagnosed as such 60 years ago.

I guarantee if you go and see a therapist and tell them you are depressed that they will agree with you. Because it's a phoney ****ing profession, and depression is a phoney 'disease'.

Yeah, some people aren't happy people. That's the way it's always been and always will be. If you're unhappy it's possibly just who you are. You probably could change if you really wanted to, but who knows.

But let me say this to you youngins. When you are a teenager, due to hormones etc you will feel all kinds of weird for a while. You don't need to go get diagnosed, and you definitely shouldn't go taking any sorts of medication. Everyone gets 'depressed' when they are a kid. You'll probably feel like a million bucks every day when you get your first girlfriend and pop her cherry next year.

I would find it hard to believe that someone can be truly depressed when you live at home dont pay rent go to a building filled with your friends 5 days a week have no kids and work less than 30 hours a week. If you THINK you're depressed now, you better step it up because life only gets harder.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by vilk
I would bet that 99% of cases of diagnosed depression would not have been diagnosed as such 60 years ago.

I guarantee if you go and see a therapist and tell them you are depressed that they will agree with you. Because it's a phoney ****ing profession, and depression is a phoney 'disease'.

Yeah, some people aren't happy people. That's the way it's always been and always will be. If you're unhappy it's possibly just who you are. You probably could change if you really wanted to, but who knows.

But let me say this to you youngins. When you are a teenager, due to hormones etc you will feel all kinds of weird for a while. You don't need to go get diagnosed, and you definitely shouldn't go taking any sorts of medication. Everyone gets 'depressed' when they are a kid. You'll probably feel like a million bucks every day when you get your first girlfriend and pop her cherry next year.

I would find it hard to believe that someone can be truly depressed when you live at home dont pay rent go to a building filled with your friends 5 days a week have no kids and work less than 30 hours a week. If you THINK you're depressed now, you better step it up because life only gets harder.

Well, I think the increased rates of diagnosed depression reflect a paradigm shift in society regarding health (yes, that includes mental health) and social norms.
So much has changed in the last fifty years and we really have very little idea of how if affects us on a psychological level. Studies are starting to come out but it seems very preliminary.

I think its irresponsible that telling people that being depressed is an innate part of their personality. In hunter-gatherer tribes, I've read that depression as it exists in "civilized" culture simply does not exist. From that, one can infer that social context is everything with mental health.

I agree with you in that there's some quackery going on with the psych movement. However, it also does a lot of good, so I think its ignorant to lump all of psychiatry in the same basket.
The problem so far with psychiatry is that its mainly based on the analysis of individual subjective experience (e.g. what a patient/client says during a session)... this will start to change in the next ten years or so as neurosciences comes to the forefront of the psychology/psychiatry movement.
This is pretty much what happened with medicine a long time ago - we went from inferring our conclusions to developing objective tools to measure what is ACTUALLY happening inside the body... and yes, the mind (brain) IS the body too... no matter what the philosophers practicing dualism might say.
sigless
herp derp
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Generally depression only affects people who are soft cunts
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by sashki
I may have made this thread before but I can't find it now.

I've gone through extended periods of feeling like shit, but I don't think I've ever experienced true depression.
How do you know when you're depressed? At what point should you seek help?

The DSM criteria for major depression include a period of two weeks of more of a depressed mood, anhedonia (which is a loss of interest in activities), fatigue, difficulty sleeping, focusing, and thoughts of injury, death, or suicide.

No one can diagnose you over the internet and I recommend against trying to diagnose yourself. If you feel depressed and think that therapy would help, try to find a licensed counselor or therapist in your area and go in to see them. Let them know your concerns and how you feel and go from there.

I'm not going to say this is a hard and fast rule, but if their first response is medication, I'd ask immediately if they plan to do anything besides medicate. If they don't have anything else in mind, find another therapist.
Quote by MHDrunk
Generally depression only affects people who are soft cunts

Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
finally some fresh meat
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
for what's it's worth, the chemical imbalance hypothesis is a disputed one, but the existence of depression, regardless of the cause, is a scientific fact. whether it is a distinct pathology or one of a greater adventure yet to unfold, of course we don't know. the same people who deny the existence of depression are the same people who deny the existence of adhd. it's ridiculous. your denial of new breakthroughs in psychology might make you a good comedian, if you're into the carlin types, but you're pretty shit for posting in a thread like this.
I met many people that have been/are depressed (in therapy solo/groups/periodical).

And the people who were in the worst shape, were the ones with a depression rooted in parental youth imbalance.

If ur dad always brought you down and feel shit when you failed something, then everytime you do a similar task you could get feel depressed.

This is a simple example, but you base a lot of your life on how your parents dealt with situations when ur young little mind learned its first cognitions.

There was one girl 27 Master in law working a top company here. Generally adept at most things.

Thought she felt shit everytime when she visted her mom due to youth stuff.
In the mean time she said her parents bringing her down while growing up made her prove herself in anything she did.

She's extremely adept at stuff just to combat her moms bringing down cognition.

Viva la revolution brain, but yeah psyche takes weird ways. She was in clinic cause she got burn out by it.

She sees her depression done equally bad as good to herself.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 26, 2013,
Page 1 of 3