Hi guys. I've recently discovered the almighty "daisy chain" method of powering my pedalboard. I've been using it for a few weeks now but i'm incredibly suspicious.

There's not any problems at all with it, no feedback or background noise, or any apparent problem with any of my pedals. So naturally, i'm expecting something to explode at any moment.

I bought it from ebay of course and it's currently powering 9 of my pedals, that's the maximum links in the chain.

My question is really this: how safe is this method of powering your pedalboard?

I know there will be a few gear snobs who'll tell me this is a satanic act against the church of the dunlop dc brick and may my pedalboard descend into the fiery furnace below, in the middle of a gig.

But forget those wankers, you need to take a mortgage out for a dunlop brick, i only paid £10 for this baby.

Anyway here's some info on the adapter itself:

Sunny, Switching Adapter.
Input:100-240v~0.5A MAX, 50-60Hz
Output: 9V---1.0A
Output Power: 9V Max

On the ebay listing it said it had 500mA protection.

Pedals in my current pedalboard:

MXR Dyna Comp
Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo
Fulltone OCD v 4
EHX Little Big Muff
EHX Memory Man
MXR Graphic EQ
Behringer Chromatic Tuner
Behringer Vintage Delay (BOSS DM2 Clone I believe)
EHX Holy Grail

My electrical knowledge is incredibly poor so i hopefully some boffin can help me out. I'm just curious to find out how reliable this power setup is, and well daisy chains generally, as i mentioned, little to none electrical knowledge and very new to this daisy chain business - and i'm having anxiety dreams about it engulfing in flames mid-solo.

Thanks a lot for reading.
Well, the thing is just that a brick is better in every aspect. You can get a Harley Benton brick for 30$ :/

But it should be safe. Unrealiable maybe, since if the cable breaks the whole thing becomes useless, but it shouldn't do any damage if you checked the voltage and polarity of all the pedals.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 25, 2013,
^ what he said.
But to specify...Make sure the total current draw (mA) on all your pedals combined , is less that what is listed on the adapter and you should be good.

All the pedals you listed probably draw about half of what the adapter is capable of supplying. So you should have no problems.

But for future reference, some pedals don't play so well together when daisy chained (noise issues).
the dunlop dc brick is a glorified daisy chain...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find it really funny that you keep referring to the Dunlop Brick, even though the Dunlop doesn't have isolated outputs so it's just an (overpriced) daisy chain in a box.

In reference to your question, as long as you match up polarity and volts, you'll be fine. If it works, then it works.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Dave_Mc
the dunlop dc brick is a glorified daisy chain...

That's why we have better bricks

Forgot about the mA check. But as codemonk said you probably will not have any problems with it. And all of your pedals are really standard so I think they play well with a daisy chain.
Quote by souperman08
I find it really funny that you keep referring to the Dunlop Brick, even though the Dunlop doesn't have isolated outputs so it's just an (overpriced) daisy chain in a box.

In reference to your question, as long as you match up polarity and volts, you'll be fine. If it works, then it works.

I'm referring to the bloody Dunlop Brick as it seems to be the power supply i am recommended the most.

Alright, this is great news. If the polarity wasn't correctly matched, i assume the pedal just wouldn't work altogether?

And i've read somewhere about, "underpowering" pedals, my holy grail plus seems to draw in 9.6v, would i notice an effect of underpowering, running if through this daisy chain?
Be very wary of cheap power supplies bought through eBay/Amazon sellers, etc. You have no idea what safety features they skipped to save 5p on a unit.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2151

Definitely worth paying a little extra for something you know isn't going to flip out at a random time and destroy a few hundred quids' worth of gear.
nothing wrong with it. perhaps some really high powered effects or something, ones that may be noisey etc i would run them direct and daisey the rest.

if a cable breaks you loose sound? yeah, same with anything else. BOSS pedals dont let any sound through at all without power....so technically if a boss pedal, power cable etc goes in the chain you have lost power. i dont hear too many people complaining about that....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
1. You're fine. Many people use daisy chains. The visual sound 1spot is a popular choice. I use it myself.

2. The dc brick is just a daisy chain in a box. It's camouflaged as a better power supply. Something like a voodoo labs pedal power 2 actually has individual isolated power for each pedal. It's the step up from a daisy chain, not the brick.

3. I read a post from one of the tech guys at visual sound a while back, and he really stands behind the 1spot/daisy chain. He claimed to have put power supplies, pedals, and daisy chains under intense circumstances to try and blow stuff up. He never managed to get a pedal to blow up. So if you can't damage your pedals on purpose, I think you.l do fine if you take care of them.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Pregowski92
I'm referring to the bloody Dunlop Brick as it seems to be the power supply i am recommended the most.

whoever's recommending it to you, i advise not listening to them any more
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?