Hello dear members of UG!! I've been using a Line6 Floor POD amp modeller through a Marshall MG 15 amp. Most of the time I am not allowed to play through my amp so almost always I either play electric guitar unplugged or I use a headphone(though it feels really uncomfortable to me) if I play through amp. But the point is I am now looking for something better to replace my Floor POD because although it does the basic job for me but I am not very happy with its features/tones. Yes I've tried to make custom patches, they are better than the default patches but I'm not fully satisfied. Besides the tone quality changes and sounds bad when I play with headphones on instead of playing directly through amp. I did some quick research and considering about buying Zoom G3 Multi-Effects Pedal. I can't buy anything like POD HD500 or POD XT Live or something like that(though their features are great) because I can't afford such expensive effect processor and I want something a bit smaller in size. Has anyone of you used it? Can anyone please tell me how is its performance? Any constructive suggestion and advice will be appreciated.
Have you tried Vyzex?

You have to jack in via MIDI (or USB on some models - shows up as a MIDI device) but you get a whole bunch of controls you didn't have before and can get a lot out of tweaking these settings compared to simplified controls on the unit itself.

You might want to make variants of your presets built for headphones, some stuff which sounds good through a speaker can sound harsh or dull through headphones.
The Zoom G3 and G5 are great products. An XT Live should be around $150 on the used market. So it's around the same as a G3.
I use a G3 quite a bit. The tone is great through headphones and the looper and drum guide are invaluable for practice. It's also easy to use and mine has seen daily use for a couple years now and still looks/functions like new. Lately I've been rocking the Two Rock Emerald 50, amazing sounding amp model!
Quote by jameswilddev
Have you tried Vyzex?....

I can't connect my amp modeller to my computer. My unit doesn't have any MIDI port or USB port and it is Line6 Floor POD predecessor Line6 Floor POD Plus. So there isn't any chance for me to make or load patches to my modeller through my computer.
Quote by fly135
The Zoom G3 and G5 are great products....

I'm actually keen to have the G3 as it seems a bit compact and its price is lower than G5 though G5 has a pedal(I know G3X has pedal but I can't afford it). I hope G3 is quite easy to use and sounds great for both amp and headphone. But I am not interested to go for the used ones actually otherwise I would have given a thought about the used POD HD500 or POD XT Live.
Quote by lucky1978
I use a G3 quite a bit....

Thanks for the info. I'd like to know about its functions a bit more if you are not bothered to tell. It has 3 displays but what is their main purpose to serve? Is making tones or patches are too complex in this device? It is also mentioned that 'Amp or stomp box effects can be used in any combination', what does it mean? Does it support loading patches through computer? And is there any program that will allow its users to make patches for it through computer?
The 3 displays each show a virtual stomp. The latest firmware allows 6 virtual stomps and you can scroll the displays left or right to see them all. A virtual stomp represents a single pedal. And just as you can rearrange the stomps on a pedalboard you can rearrange them in the G3 in any order.

Making tones is like making tones on a pedalboard. Each virtual stomp has it's own controls and can be turned on or off individually with the footswitch when the stomp is on one of the displays. You can also save a preset and recall it with preset switching. There is a program you can control the G3 with using USB. I haven't used it so I can't comment on how good it is.
Quote by stranger_23
Thanks for the info. I'd like to know about its functions a bit more if you are not bothered to tell. It has 3 displays but what is their main purpose to serve? Is making tones or patches are too complex in this device? It is also mentioned that 'Amp or stomp box effects can be used in any combination', what does it mean? Does it support loading patches through computer? And is there any program that will allow its users to make patches for it through computer?

Fly summed it up pretty well. The displays show the current pedals you're using with cheesy pics of common pedals disguised with humorous names like "great muff" (big muff) and squeak (rat). For all the stuff that's in it, it's incredibly easy to use. Once I have the pedals I want set I can start at the drum guide and be playing lead over a loop with drums in less than a minute...without looking at the pedal while I'm switching. The drum guide is somewhat limited but it has tap tempo and dozens of patterns in different genres. The looper is excellent though it only has 40 seconds of record time and tends to muddy up after a couple overdubs. It's well worth the $170 or whatever they cost now.
Quote by lucky1978
Fly summed it up pretty well....

I've also heard about its loop function. The recording could have been more than 40 seconds but anyway it seems for its price its a good deal. Is the body of G3 made of plastic? I hope its quite reliable and everything functions properly. And you are right about its user friendliness, people have been saying its very easy to master. Nevertheless I'll be going for Zoom G3.