Hey guys, I have a vox vt20+ tube amp. I play about an hour a day if I'm busy. I know that eventually you have to change the tube but I want to know about how often. Can you also tell me a good tube for a reasonable price. Thanks
Nope, not unless something's wrong with it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The tube will last for a bloody long time in that. Like 10 to 20 years. It couldn't hurt to have a spare though. Just buy a JJ ECC83S. Cheap and very good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I put a jj in one of my vt's and I swear it sounds better than the other. I don't think they're meant to be changed/swapped though. Sure you can see the tube from the outside but to get to it you have to pull the amp apart. If they had been made with the intention of changing the tube, they wouldn't have teased us by dangling it there in front and then make us gut the amp to get to it. It's up to you
Quote by lucky1978
I put a jj in one of my vt's and I swear it sounds better than the other. I don't think they're meant to be changed/swapped though. Sure you can see the tube from the outside but to get to it you have to pull the amp apart. If they had been made with the intention of changing the tube, they wouldn't have teased us by dangling it there in front and then make us gut the amp to get to it. It's up to you

More than likely a placebo effect.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The longest warranty would be what? 3 years? The tube should last well beyond that. After that they probably don't give a damn. It is a bit disconcerting that they don't make it easy to change. Sorta says something about how long they think anybody will be using one. 10 year planned obsolescence maybe?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Eppicurt
More than likely a placebo effect.

That could definately be the case. I am kinda curious though and I bought a used old RCA12ax7 a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'll tear the ol' vt apart and try another tube for the hell of it.
The way the tube is wired into the amp's circuitry, your whole amp will have to be dead before the tube needs to be replaced, and the biggest effect on tone that a swap would have would be a placebo effect.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo