Hi there, I have a '68 Silverface Fender Bassman Head. This thing is LOUD! I love the natural gain I get out of it, but unfortunately I don't get to that stage until the amp is way too loud over the rest of my band (I am using the head for guitar by the way). I have tried a few different OD pedals through it, none of which I liked through it and actually didn't really tend to make any difference except make the amp sound muddy and gross. My cousin told me about power attenuators which until recently I knew nothing about, but I am finding out about a cheaper alternative to that...pedals called volume attenuators. After doing a little bit of reading online, supposedly you have to run the volume attenuator through an effects loop but I am pretty sure my Bassman doesn't have an effects loop as it is from 1968. Would running the volume attenuator work if I just ran it straight through the input jack? If not, I am looking at the possibility of trying out a Fulltone OCD as a last resort. The only pedal I thought that sounded okay through it so far (surprisingly) is the Boss DS-1 Distortion, but that pedal is a little too grainy for my liking. If I don't like the OCD, I honestly don't know what I am going to do. Really don't want to sell this thing if I don't have to. Love the tone, it's just way too loud. I'm running it out of an Avatar 212 cab loaded with 2 Celestion V30 speakers.
Few things. Volume attenuator is basically an extra volume control.

You can't use it on your set-up as you know already.

Secondly- what you are describing might be power tube distortion. An attenuator basically lets you get power tube distortion at a more reasonable volume level.

Throwing an OD pedal up front won't really simulate power tube distortion. Either get a lower wattage amp or buy an attenuator.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by R45VT
Few things. Volume attenuator is basically an extra volume control.

You can't use it on your set-up as you know already.

Secondly- what you are describing might be power tube distortion. An attenuator basically lets you get power tube distortion at a more reasonable volume level.

Throwing an OD pedal up front won't really simulate power tube distortion. Either get a lower wattage amp or buy an attenuator.

So basically I would need to get a power attenuator as opposed to a volume attenuator? Also, I don't mind not having the power tube distortion sound. As long as I have a tone that doesn't sound like butt, I will be happy.
He means a real power attenuator that goes between the amp and the speaker. They're not cheap. Those cheap attenuators that go in the loop are just a $5 pot in a box.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100