So I bought a pack of Elixer medium nanowebs for my acoustic a while back and I really like them but to be honest, I don't know much about strings. Before I go recommending them to people, what do you think? Are they worth it?

Also, I need new strings on my electric and was thinking of going with Elixer for that too but I don't know. I don't wanna just go off of what some guy says behind a counter about them because I know he's just trying to sell me shit.
Strings are all preference.

Elixers last longer than non coated strings. Questions is- is it worth the cost difference to you ?

I've used them and they are not bad. I like other coated strings better for electric. DR comes to mind.

I hate to say it- these string threads are all pointless.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
So you bought the strings and now you are looking for assurance? If you like them, then your question is answered.

Nanowebs are great for acoustic. They last a long time.

I don't use coated strings on electric. EB Slinkies all the way.
Quote by R45VT

I hate to say it- these string threads are all pointless.

Honestly, I'm a drummer who just started taking guitar more seriously a few years ago and doesn't know much about gear period. It's not pointless for me, I respect the opinion of this community.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Quote by cdr_salamander
So you bought the strings and now you are looking for assurance? If you like them, then your question is answered.

ughh.... I don't have a reference point. No need to be a dick.
I play for a hobby. I use coated so they don't rust on me. I have 4 guitars and I'd hate to change strings every few weeks if I have only put an hour on it. So for me the extra $$ is worth it.

If you gig or practice often then normal non-coated would be fine. You'd be changing them often enough it's not worth the extra price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Anthem731
ughh.... I don't have a reference point. No need to be a dick.

I'm a dick? You just came in here and asked for our opinion because you didn't trust a store employee that was most likely honestly trying to help you out, and then you come on the Internet and complain about not having a reference point and start dropping insults. Seriously? Piss off.
OOOHHHH i feel tension in this thread.... settle down kiddies... now to the question at hand... Elixers are great for acoustics i use them on my 3 acoustics but i don't like them on electrics as they don't last any longer than regular non coated strings also not a fan of how they sound on electrics i've even tried EB's slinky cobalts and still not a fan so i'm back to re-stringing all my electrics with D'Addario strings and at $3 aus a pack i'm not phased so about once a month i re-string between 6-8 guitars as required
Quote by cdr_salamander
asked for our opinion because you didn't trust a store employee that was most likely honestly trying to help you out

Seeing the number of MG and Spider amps on here...I think he's correct in not trusting store employees...just saying.

I use Elixirs on my acoustic, and they are great. Sounds fantastic for a really long time. I'm an on and off player with my acoustic, so having long lasting strings on it is a great economical choice for me.

I used to use them on electrics, but I moved on to EB Cobalt Slinkies for electric and prefer them much more.
Due to my newfound appreciation for EB, I'll probably give their Everlast strings a shot for my acoustic soon too.

As for strings being a nonsense discussion here, I'd disagree. They are probably as personal as guitar picks, but still...it's an important part of your gear.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I've used Elixirs on both acoustics and electrics. It's better on acoustics, lasts a longer time than on electric. I've had a pair of Elixirs on my acoustic for two months, and they seem pretty fine. I used to use elixirs for my electric, but I didn't really like the feel and it wore out quicker than on acoustic so I changed to D'addarios for electric.
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
Quote by Shor
Seeing the number of MG and Spider amps on here...I think he's correct in not trusting store employees...just saying.

That's really a generalization. In my experience, when it comes to accessories like strings/picks/parts/etc, they usually recommend the hot seller. You can't always discredit some place because somebody got mad that they bought a $100 amp and expected it to play like a $2000 amp, ya know? You don't buy cars before you test drive them.

Anyways, to get back on topic, like I said, Nanowebs are good strings. It's what I buy, and it's what comes on high-end Taylors and Martins out of the box. You didn't make a mistake.
I've been using Elixers for over 10 years now. I think they feel great under the fingers and they last a lot longer than uncoated strings. Unless you're breaking strings constantly, I think they equal out to cost roughly the same as uncoated strings once you've had to change them once or twice.
i use them for acousitcs although i recently switched to cleartones.

i dont like them for electric, i find them too bright and tinny. for coated i also dont mind the cheaper dadarrios. get teh job done.

in general i dont use coated for electric, and i personally dont have an issue with rusting / wear. perhaps my climate and sweat glands allow this, but even a standard set of Balls can go months for me easy......they get dull. but they are not physically wearing down.

so. i prefer GHS boomers.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by cdr_salamander
I'm a dick? You just came in here and asked for our opinion because you didn't trust a store employee that was most likely honestly trying to help you out, and then you come on the Internet and complain about not having a reference point and start dropping insults. Seriously? Piss off.

You accused me of asking for assurance after I bought the strings already. That would be ridiculous, I'm not a child.
Quote by ikey_
i use them for acousitcs although i recently switched to cleartones.

i dont like them for electric, i find them too bright and tinny. for coated i also dont mind the cheaper dadarrios. get teh job done.

in general i dont use coated for electric, and i personally dont have an issue with rusting / wear. perhaps my climate and sweat glands allow this, but even a standard set of Balls can go months for me easy......they get dull. but they are not physically wearing down.

so. i prefer GHS boomers.

Thanks, maybe I'll try those.
Quote by Anthem731
You accused me of asking for assurance after I bought the strings already. That would be ridiculous, I'm not a child.

Settle down. It did sound like that's what you wanted to hear... You'd be surprised with all the people who buy an amp or guitar and then post up asking for validation of their purchase. From your responses here we can see that's not really the case.

Hopefully you got some opinions know.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Jun 26, 2013,