hey folks, im trying to practice here, and I only have time at night, which means I need to keep it quiet. I'm trying to figure out if its possible to use headphones with my ValveKing, otherwise I have to use one of those 10w starter amps, since that has a jack actually labeled headphones... but I don't want to use that... Somehow I feel like just plugging my headphones into the external speaker jack in the back of the valveking is a bad idea?
Last edited by kaossurge at Jun 26, 2013,
yes, it's a bad idea. Plugging headphones to an amp that has a couple of dozens of watts of power would probably break the phones and your ears. If it doesn't have a dedicated headphone output, don't use headphones. Also remember that if the amp is not connected to a sufficient speaker the tubes will go boom and things might catch fire. So I don't recommend you try
Real amps don't have headphone jacks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by kaossurge
So I cant practice at night? :[

Play without an amp. Or get a decent SS amp with a headphone output. You don't need an amp to get better
I owned a ValveKing 212 a while ago. I remember it sounding fine at low levels.

Can you not just play with the volume turned low? Are you in a situation where you literally have to use headphones?

Though in my experience, an actual amp running at low volumes is still quieter than the sheer pick attack. So I'm not sure of the issue exactly, unless you suffer from the apparently common ailment of not being able to turn a volume knob below 8 o'clock.

You could invest in something like a Line 6 POD HD. Very useful unit, it acts as an interface, has simulation to be able to stand on it's own through headphones or through a PA, and if you want you can use it as a supplement with your amp with the 4 Cable Method, and just use the FX in it.

I think they go used for about $175-200ish, for the HD300.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 26, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
So I'm not sure of the issue exactly, unless you suffer from the apparently common ailment of not being able to turn a volume knob below 8 o'clock.

I have that in reverse. I can't go louder than 2
you basically have 3 options...

Get a small modelling item like a POD (the pocket pod is cheap and will do you fine for night time practice)

Get an attenuator. Although these are expensive and will put great strain on your power tubes.

Get an interface for your computer, a DAW and some VSTs and use it like the POD but with your PC instead.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
You could also get something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm

Headphone tap from Weber, but it will suck your tone like a Vegas call girl lost in the desert.

I had a Valveking. It was OK after some tube and speaker swaps. Now I have a Vypyr 60. Better tone and it has a headphone jack. Oh, and 6505+ power section
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I had a Valveking. It was OK after some tube and speaker swaps. Now I have a Vypyr 60. Better tone and it has a headphone jack. Oh, and 6505+ power section

I agree 100%. I also own a Vypyr Tube now.

The ValveKing is really cool as a first amp, as an introduction to tube amps or w/e, and it's definitely cool to have a standalone tube amp if it's your first, but regardless of the hybrid nature of the Vypyr Tube, tonally it eats the ValveKing alive in every way.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I owned a ValveKing 212 a while ago. I remember it sounding fine at low levels.

Can you not just play with the volume turned low? Are you in a situation where you literally have to use headphones?

Though in my experience, an actual amp running at low volumes is still quieter than the sheer pick attack. So I'm not sure of the issue exactly, unless you suffer from the apparently common ailment of not being able to turn a volume knob below 8 o'clock.

You could invest in something like a Line 6 POD HD. Very useful unit, it acts as an interface, has simulation to be able to stand on it's own through headphones or through a PA, and if you want you can use it as a supplement with your amp with the 4 Cable Method, and just use the FX in it.

I think they go used for about $175-200ish, for the HD300.

The lowest volume is still too loud.
Quote by kaossurge
The lowest volume is still too loud.

But the pick sounds aren't? They do make quite the sound even without an amp, and the picking will make more noise than the amp at low volumes.