hi there,

i have a tubemeister 18 amp, and the clean channel and boost channel are awesome, but i need a sound with a little less gain than the boost channel. the problem is, the lead channel doesn't have enough gain.

So i was looking for a overdrive pedal to get the the lead(slightly dirty) channel sound like i like
a was looking for something like an maxon od9 or sd9?
but maybe someone knows an awesome pedal?
please help

greetz,

Jasper
Well, what sound are you looking for? You can't just say "I want less gain than lots of gain but more than not very much, what pedal should I get?" and expect answers. Be specific with the types of tones you want to achieve.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Why not get yourself down your nearest guitar shop, with your guitar, and try a few out?

Personally I'm very happy with my Boss SD1 providing that extra bit of drive to my amp's overdrive channel. I suspect that the pedal is less important that the amp, in my case at least.
I've got the Maxon OD-808 myself and I can't recommend it enough. Compliments tube perfectly and tightens up tone nicely while giving it a lot of bite. Better with low-end EQ I find, tends to boost the top-end, athough you can play around with it to get a better mid or low end sound.

I haven't used the OD-9, but the 'Nez TS-9 it's based on is legendary, although the same can be said of the TS-808. Either one would be a good bet, not to mention that the Maxon versions of the pedals are cheaper and by most accounts better than the Ibanez originals.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Bad Monkey and a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Eppicurt
Well, what sound are you looking for? You can't just say "I want less gain than lots of gain but more than not very much, what pedal should I get?" and expect answers. Be specific with the types of tones you want to achieve.

haha, sorry man.
im searching for a poppunk sound. Like yellowcard and all time low (no, im not gonna buy a mesa).
i can produce a sound i really like with the boost channel, but i wanna have two usable channels, just to mix it up a little.

is it better this way?

Quote by StuartBahn
Why not get yourself down your nearest guitar shop, with your guitar, and try a few out?

we only have a small guitar store here. And there isn't much choice, but i can order anything there. But it would be nice if i kind of knew, which pedals are nice, and which arent
Try the Detox EQ (Homebrew Electronics), its Paul Gilbert's signature pedal and is made to lower the gain and can be used on a distortion pedal or just the amp distortion channel. I have it and it works really well, you can turn a very distorted tone into a very light crunch if you want to.

It has 4 knobs, level (which is basically how much gain will be cut off), bass, mid, treble. True bypass and its not too expensive at all.
yeah the right OD will do you right. depending how saturated the channels are, a boost will also work .
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
That's strange. I played the Tubemeister 36 and it had plenty of gain -- even for extreme metal. How old are the tubes?

This isn't a great video, but it's pretty clear this guy is getting tons of gain. He states in the comments that this is just guitar and amp, no boost or anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwV59kgzMY

Is this not the kind of gain you're getting?
Quote by ExDementia
That's strange. I played the Tubemeister 36 and it had plenty of gain -- even for extreme metal. How old are the tubes?

This isn't a great video, but it's pretty clear this guy is getting tons of gain. He states in the comments that this is just guitar and amp, no boost or anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwV59kgzMY

Is this not the kind of gain you're getting?

i have the amp now for like... 2 months? so i guess that the tubes arent old. and the tube bias system thing said that the tubes were all right.

but the guy is using the boost channel. i have a ton of gain too, on that channel. but when i switch to the lead channel, it isn't enough. and i want two pretty high gain sounds.

Quote by darkwolf291
Odd.
The Tubemeister has a ton of gain on tap.
At least the one I tried at NAMM did

it does^^
but on the boost channel. :S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to get it clear.
on the boost channel i have a really nice sound.
but when i switch to the lead channel with the same settings it doesnt sound cool.
and when i turn the gain of the lead channel all the way up, it doesnt sound nice. it isnt tight (?)

maybe i need something else than a gain boost?
i have no idea?
im a new in the world of pedals and tube amps :P