Greetings,

I've been playing a bit on and off for close to a year now, and I'm looking to start upgrading my equipment a little bit. Not gonna change my guitar yet, as I love the one I have, and I think the missus would kill me if I splashed out 2000ish euros for a new axe.

But I can easily justify a new tube amp, as long as it's small and max. 500-600 euros!

Onwards to the details:

Budget? - The cheaper the better obviously, but I'm willing to stretch towards 500-600 euros.

Genres? - I prefer a slightly driven sound, bluesrock, classical music (beethoven and such) remade for guitar. Cleans are not super important, but I'm not into gain-monsters either. Fav. artists are Eric Johnson and Gary Moore.

New or Used? - New/used doesn't really matter, I've been scoping out the used market here in southern Finland, but haven't really seen anything else than solid states.

Home or Gig? - Home only, and here is the kicker, I live in an apartment complex, so I would LOVE to have a headphone socket on it. If it can OD at bedroom volumes without a headphone socket, that's fine too. I can't make a lot of noise unfortunately.

Closest City? - Helsinki. Internet is also a beautiful thing, but would prefer not to buy used online.

Current Gear? - Got a cute little Roland Microcube at the moment, along with my cheapo LTD ec-50.

I want to upgrade to an all-tube amp now, been trying to find different ones that have headphone out, so far the closest I've come is HK tubemeisters with their redbox thingie.

If anyone know of, or have tested any amps with headphones, please let me know.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any help anyone might offer!
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
Honestly, in your situation right now, I'd suggest going with a pod HD. Tube amps with emulated headphone outs sound like utter ass, wouldn't recommend doing so.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I think that you should forget about the headphone out. Tubes need to be on earaching volumes to achieve their best tone, using them with headphones, if possible at all, sounds like a really bad idea to me. Actually, getting a tube amp for only bedroom playing might be a bit excessive, even 5w tube amps tend to be too loud.
That's what I was afraid of.
I guess I'll scrap the headphones then. Now to start looking for a house somewhere...

How about drive pedals infront of the amp? Does it still need to be played at crazy volumes to get a bit of drive sound from it? I don't need it to sound like Children of Bodom or anything, I just want a soft breakup on it.

Thanks for the replies!
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
Drive pedal would work really well. They don't need to be at crushing levels to sound good. If you could get both an amp and a Wampler pedal for example you would be good to go.
tube amp will hiss and sound like crap into headphones , thats a sad truth i learn by paying $$$ .

it jsut wont sound good .. get a pod .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Buying a tube amp expressly for use with its headphones out is a waste and will probably sound like a cheap practice amp. Stick with the MicroCube for headphone use - or buy a Vyper or a Pod if you want an upgraded headphone solution.
Just get an amp with a gain/drive control or a master volume. No pedals needed unless you want them.
you van try a tube amp with a adjustable level switch for the watts?
like a eh, tubemeister 5 or 18. but is is still pretty loud on 1 watt mode...

or you can try a volume control between an amp head and cab?
never tried it, but i know it exists
Quote by JELIFISH19
Just get an amp with a gain/drive control or a master volume. No pedals needed unless you want them.

That means nothing. That's like saying "Buy a guitar with some machine heads, some pickups and strings." Useless.

Quote by jaspervdv
you van try a tube amp with a adjustable level switch for the watts?
like a eh, tubemeister 5 or 18. but is is still pretty loud on 1 watt mode...

Watts=/=volume.

Quote by jaspervdv
or you can try a volume control between an amp head and cab?
never tried it, but i know it exists

No, you can only put things inbetween heads and cabs that handle the load of the head, like a talkbox or an attenuator.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
That means nothing. That's like saying "Buy a guitar with some machine heads, some pickups and strings." Useless.

It's not like that at all. He specifically asked "does it still need to be played at crazy volumes to get a bit of drive sound from it?" when using distortion pedals. He's under the impression that tube amps need to be played loudly to get distortion. Not every amp has a MV or drive controls. A lot of the "bedroom" tube amps don't have them so you can't drive them at have low levels.
Half of these replies are a bum steer.

TS, look at amps like the Egnater Rebel 30 that has a silent record-out feature. This makes it possible to plug it into any interface that allows monitoring through headphones straight from the unit. That amp can also handle all of the tones you listed just fine.
buy whatever amp head you want and use something like this

http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by 667
Buying a tube amp expressly for use with its headphones out is a waste and will probably sound like a cheap practice amp. Stick with the MicroCube for headphone use - or buy a Vyper or a Pod if you want an upgraded headphone solution.

Top answer right there
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I guess I'll just stick with playing cleans on the cube for now, and just refurbish my stone-age amp while I look for a house, that seems to be the easiest option at the moment.

But many thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling a little bit wiser already!
Quote by Eppicurt

Watts=/=volume.

i know, but he wants a tube amp, so i would go with a amp with 1 watt, so he can kind of crank it up for the dirty sound. cause i dont think he wants to crank a 100 watt amp up.

but please tell me if im really wrong
it is always time to learn new things
I'd go with a Bugera V5. It's a nice 5 watt tube amp, will get the kind of sound you're looking for if you push it, has a built in attenuator that will take it down to 0.1W so you can crank it up in the bedroom, and it's got a passable headphone out.
"Balance not just for karate, balance for whole life."