Page 1 of 3
SCOTUS strikes down DOMA: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/supreme-court-doma-decision_n_3454811.html

SCOTUS also rules that Prop 8. is unconstitutional but avoids ruling that constitutional bans on gay marriage are unconstitutional, which means that gay marriage has just been legalized in California: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/supreme-court-prop-8_n_3434854.html

For those of you who don't know what DOMA is, it's a federal law that prevents the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages and granting gay couples the same federal benefits all straight couples receive. The striking down of this law means that all gay couples everywhere can now receive federal benefits.
Last edited by WaterGod at Jun 26, 2013,
I'm not versed in your American politics so is this a good or bad thing for the G/L/Bi/T community?
Quote by JackalUK
I'm not versed in your American politics so is this a good or bad thing for the G/L/Bi/T community?

DOMA prevents the government from recognizing gay marriages in America and granting them federal benefits. The striking down of DOMA means that nationally gay marriage is legal. Just not state by state.
Quote by WaterGod
DOMA prevents the government from recognizing gay marriages in America and granting them federal benefits. The striking down of DOMA means that nationally gay marriage is legal. Just not state by state.

Are there any states with gay marriage legislation coming up? Surely once you get like, 5 or 6 states with it completely equal it kinda snowballs?
Quote by willT08
Are there any states with gay marriage legislation coming up? Surely once you get like, 5 or 6 states with it completely equal it kinda snowballs?

Currently there's only 12 states plus the District of Columbia that have legalized gay marriage. As far as states legalizing gay marriage I haven't heard of any recently, a lot of votes to legalize gay marriage happened around last year during the election.
Honestly mate you're gonna have to clue us in on what each Proposition and abbreviated legislation is. Isn't Prop 8 some California thing?

Busy day for the Supreme Court ain't it?
Quote by willT08
Honestly mate you're gonna have to clue us in on what each Proposition and abbreviated legislation is. Isn't Prop 8 some California thing?

Prop 8 legalized gay marriage in California then it was voted down that same year, I believe.

I'm so glad DOMA was struck down. The prop 8 is going to deal with legality state to state I think.

There's been a wave of legalization of it won't snowball much. The south won't do it for the most part. I don't care because progress is being made.

I was wrong, v that's right.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 26, 2013,
Quote by willT08

Prop 8. is the California law that banned same-sex marriage and it was ruled unconstitutional by the California Supreme Court, so anti-gay marriage people took the banning of Prop 8. to the supreme court. And Yeah this is the day where the SCOTUS issue all their rulings. Basically the court could be deciding if banning gay marriage is constitutional.

And shit I gotta get to class now.
Last edited by WaterGod at Jun 26, 2013,
Ah okay. So if the SCOTUS finds Prop 8 unconstitutional, then that goes for all the other states? So it'll be impossible to outright ban gay marriage nationally?

Sounds koo. When is their decision due?
Woot W00t!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Good to see progress being made over the pond, I'm not well versed with American political systems, but I take it this is the first step on a much longer road?
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
They have existed for hundreds of years, they are called 'your rights'.
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
Good to see progress being made over the pond, I'm not well versed with American political systems, but I take it this is the first step on a much longer road?

Definitely. The Supreme Court is pretty right leaning if I remember correctly. The fact that they struck it down helps a lot to legitimize gay couples. This is more of a second or third step I'd say. States have been passing laws making gay marriage legal, so that's already happening. This gives those gay couples the same rights as straight couples on a federal level.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm honestly confused as to why things like this can be decided state-by-state. Surely an issue which involves the rights of every non-straight person in the country is an issue that needs to be dealt with and regulated nationally? And then states can dabble with more specialized issues that arise because of it that only concern their state.

Seems very odd.
All it takes is 1 state to recognize gay marriage.
Article 4 Section 1 of the US Constitution - Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

All others are compelled to recognize it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Article 4 Section 1 of the US Constitution - Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

I like this
Holy shit, I guess the American government is actually capable of generating positive news.
Quote by Jackal58

Did you write that part in?
Quote by Jackal58

BUT STATES RIGHTS

DAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL CUS GAYS ARE EVIL

Most of the people who scream about the Constitution don't actually know much about it. I need to refresh myself
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by willT08
I like this

That is why the SC ruled the DOMA unconstitutional. Congress knew it was when they passed it. The bill was pandering to the electorate before a mid term election.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Draken

Did I write what part in?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Draken

It's in the Constitution.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
BUT STATES RIGHTS

DAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL CUS GAYS ARE EVIL

Most of the people who scream about the Constitution don't actually know much about it. I need to refresh myself

One of my favorite FB pastimes is pointing out the unconstitutional means dumbshits want to employ in "protecting the constitution"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
One of my favorite FB pastimes is pointing out the unconstitutional means dumbshits want to employ in "protecting the constitution"

It's the same thing with First Amendment rights. People think that freedom of speech means you're free to say anything with no consequences. Expression won't be repressed, but everyone will still possibly hate you.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I need to refresh myself

Quote by BladeSlinger
It's the same thing with First Amendment rights. People think that freedom of speech means you're free to say anything with no consequences. Expression won't be repressed, but everyone will still possibly hate you.

That, and they somehow don't realise that free speech means other people can criticise them.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I'm excited to see Takei's Facebook posts today.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by sloppyjoe24
Great. When will the S.C. grant straight rights?

uwot
Quote by willT08
I'm honestly confused as to why things like this can be decided state-by-state. Surely an issue which involves the rights of every non-straight person in the country is an issue that needs to be dealt with and regulated nationally? And then states can dabble with more specialized issues that arise because of it that only concern their state.

Seems very odd.

Read the 10th amendment to the US Constitution. To summarize any power not delegated to the federal gov't by the constitution is reserved to the states. Since marriage in any form is not covered by the constitution it is generally considered a state's issue.
Guitar - Ibanaz GAX70
Amp - Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 Combo
Pedals - Maxon OD9, Ibanez AD9, MXR Phase 90, MXR Analog Chorus
Quote by Jackal58
That is why the SC ruled the DOMA unconstitutional. Congress knew it was when they passed it. The bill was pandering to the electorate before a mid term election.

Not just congress. Clinton signed DOMA into law.
Guitar - Ibanaz GAX70
Amp - Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 Combo
Pedals - Maxon OD9, Ibanez AD9, MXR Phase 90, MXR Analog Chorus
Quote by CT_Eagle
Not just congress. Clinton signed DOMA into law.

At least Clinton realizes he dun goofed.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 3