Hey guys, so I've been thinking about buying a new 7-string guitar yet I have no idea what to buy. I've looked at some Ibanez guitars and some Schecters since they are really nice but I just want to see what you guys would recommend to me, since you might have a lot more personal experience with a particular guitar.

I currently have an RG1527 and while that's a great guitar it's a bitch to retune that thing to any other tuning so I'd like to keep that one in B standard and have an extra guitar for the heavier stuff that I can retune very quickly. However, it has to be good at pretty much any music genre, so I'm not looking for a guitar that's only good at rock/metal. What I want from it:
- No tremolo
- Somewhere around 600 to 800 euros (willing to spend a little bit more, but try keep it in that range)
- Preferably no EMG pickups. I've had guitars with EMG pickups in the past and I just don't like the sound they produce.
- Preferably an ST model, I personally think they are the most comfortable shape to play with and I'm not really a fan of pointy, in-your-face guitars.

Thanks in advance!
Guitars:
Charvel So-Cal
Ibanez RG1527
ESP LTD Stephen Carpenter 607b
BC Rich Warlock Bronze
If you like your RG, look for a used RG7621 or RG7421, You should have enough left over to put new pups in.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Schecter are by far superior in feel, but in that price range it's all EMG's. You'd have to go for the blackjack models to have Blackouts, and they are around 1000-1400€. The Hellraiser is my favourite and costs 900€. But it's the EMG 707's in that one aswell. You could always get the Damien and change pickups though.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
@Offworld 92:
Thanks for the quick reply man, I've looked up 2 guitar on Thomann which sound promising and meet my demands:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_rg7421_bk.htm

and

http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_rga7bk.htm

any experience with the RGA? Is it worth spending a little more for that guitar?

@Henrihell:
The Schecter Damien Elite CR7 sure looks promising but considering that it has EMG's that I will most likely change, the total price is kinda steep for someone like me. I mean buying an RG7421 and swapping the pups sounds like a better idea, in my opinion. I've also looked at the Schecter Diamond Omen 7 Extreme which is cheaper but has Schecter's own pickups but again, I could swap em for a different set and still have money left than if I would have bought the Damien Elite CR7.
Guitars:
Charvel So-Cal
Ibanez RG1527
BC Rich Warlock Bronze
Huh, I didn't know the RG7421 was still in production. That might be a reissue, I'm almost positive that's not MIJ, haha.

Out of those two I would go for the RGA7, no question. The biggest and most universal reason is the bridge. Those old style fixed bridges like on the 7421 are awful, they feel horrible and they cut into your hand depending on how you pick. Looking at the new Gibralter bridge on the RGA7, you can see how it is much smoother, there's no sharp edges. Very nice.

On a more personal level, I vastly prefer carved top guitars to flat top guitars, so for that the RGA would definitely trump the RG for me. That aspect is of course up to your discretion.

Keep in mind that the one advantage the RG has is that it's routed for normal passives. You're going to be extremely limited with the RGA7, because it's routed for the big bus style actives. However, Seymour Duncan now have a few of their passives out in the bus style format, so you can still go passive if any of the pups they offer in that format interest you.

Also the RGA7 has a stupid tone shift control instead of a tone pot, but you can change that really easily, just take that junk out and put a pot in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 26, 2013,
Quote by henrihell
Schecter are by far superior in feel, but in that price range it's all EMG's. You'd have to go for the blackjack models to have Blackouts, and they are around 1000-1400€. The Hellraiser is my favourite and costs 900€. But it's the EMG 707's in that one aswell. You could always get the Damien and change pickups though.

No they bloody arent.

The proper MIJ Ibanez 7s are godly guitars.

Schecters are just average Korean imports.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Offworld92
Huh, I didn't know the RG7421 was still in production. That might be a reissue, I'm almost positive that's not MIJ, haha.

Out of those two I would go for the RGA7, no question. The biggest and most universal reason is the bridge. Those old style fixed bridges like on the 7421 are awful, they feel horrible and they cut into your hand depending on how you pick. Looking at the new Gibralter bridge on the RGA7, you can see how it is much smoother, there's no sharp edges. Very nice.

On a more personal level, I vastly prefer carved top guitars to flat top guitars, so for that the RGA would definitely trump the RG for me. That aspect is of course up to your discretion.

Keep in mind that the one advantage the RG has is that it's routed for normal passives. You're going to be extremely limited with the RGA7, because it's routed for the big bus style actives. However, Seymour Duncan now have a few of their passives out in the bus style format, so you can still go passive if any of the pups they offer in that format interest you.

Also the RGA7 has a stupid tone shift control instead of a tone pot, but you can change that really easily, just take that junk out and put a pot in.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I know nothing about certain bus style formats But what you're saying is that with the RGA I'm very limited to what pickups I can change for the originals? Cause I was considering changing them to a pair of Dimarzios or maybe even some Bareknuckles
Guitars:
Charvel So-Cal
Ibanez RG1527
BC Rich Warlock Bronze
My personal bias is showing, but they have a 7 string Iceman out now! If they had that when I bought my ICT700, I would have gone for the 7. Plus, it's only ~$600 euros if my math is correct.

Kind of short scale length for a 7 string at 25.24, but it comes with Dimarzio D-Activators stock, which aren't bad.

Edit: the model is IC507 -- not sure about the availability of it in Europe.
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 26, 2013,
Quote by ExDementia
My personal bias is showing, but they have a 7 string Iceman out now! If they had that when I bought my ICT700, I would have gone for the 7. Plus, it's only ~$600 euros if my math is correct.

Kind of short scale length for a 7 string at 25.24, but it comes with Dimarzio D-Activators stock, which aren't bad.

Sorry man but I'm just not a fan of the looks of the Iceman
Guitars:
Charvel So-Cal
Ibanez RG1527
BC Rich Warlock Bronze
Quote by StagDSV
I'm gonna be honest with you, I know nothing about certain bus style formats But what you're saying is that with the RGA I'm very limited to what pickups I can change for the originals? Cause I was considering changing them to a pair of Dimarzios or maybe even some Bareknuckles

I think Bareknuckle also offers passives in the bus format... but I'm not at all positive about that.

This picture may help. This is from Seymour Duncan, adverting the different formats some of their pickups are available in now.

The one on the right is the active style bus, you can see how it's very different from the passives, if a guitar is routed for passives, it won't be able to take the active style without routing. You might be able to put passives into the active routing... but I think the dimensions are a little off. I'm sure some people around here have done it, hopefully someone else will chime in more.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ibanez does make their pickup routes on the small size, so the covered BKPs will be a tight fit (if you're lucky) or need some routing.

If you love the rg1527, maybe try to find a used one and just block the trem? Also if you can't find a used MiJ 7621/7421, you could go with the trem versions and block that as well. I think I'm one of the minority that likes the 1527 neck over the older 7620 :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs