I’m looking to buy a new electric guitar; I’ve been playing for about 10 years casually. I am by no means amazing and definitely not a “shredder” but I'm not horrible either. I only own one electric, a Silverstone that I bought at the store Media Play . My budget is $400.00. I like to play music similar to Mastodon, Baroness, Against Me, Yeah Yeah Yeahs just to name a few, but play kind of sludge metal but also a country/bluegrass type thing. I’d like it to sound good while doing some clean stuff and some bassy stuff, so if there were pickups that would work better that you could recommend I’d appreciate it. I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top and the Ibanez ART100. Not expensive and I do like the body. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
What amp are you playing through? More often than not the biggest upgrade to your tone will be through a new amp
I'm just using one of those First Act amps from Wal-Mart. Like I said, I'm just a casual player but I've started getting back into playing. I've never had the money to buy new things. What's an amp you would suggest?
^This. You can pick up a used tube version for around the 300 mark.

I have the 60w tube version myself (this is my first amp so please know that I won't have the ears of a more experienced player) the built in effects/amp modeling sound okay to good, but the sheer number of them means you won't have a compelling reason to drop a bunch of cash on pedals for a while. Awesome value for money.
Since your budget is at $400.00 , I would go with either a Fender Mustang II or a Peavey Vyper II as far as amps are concerned. Both sell for only $200.00 and are rated at 40 watts and are loaded with effects and amp models which you can set to your personal liking. As far as a guitar is concerned, for $225.00 , you can get yourself a Squier Standard Stratocaster or Telecaster , depending on your personal preference. Both are great guitars for the price and will last a lifetime and are also great for modding as well.
I come looking for a guitar and everyone is telling me to get an amp lol. So between the Mustang and Vypyr, which would you consider to be the better one? I've heard that an amp with so many effects isn't good. Though I only plan on using it for a hobby and playing with friends. I just don't want it to give out a week after the warranty is up.
Quote by Pigfoot
I come looking for a guitar and everyone is telling me to get an amp lol. So between the Mustang and Vypyr, which would you consider to be the better one? I've heard that an amp with so many effects isn't good. Though I only plan on using it for a hobby and playing with friends. I just don't want it to give out a week after the warranty is up.
Not true at all. Modeling amps just tend to be cheaper in general, but it's not because they have a lot of features.

I would go for the Vypyr. The Mustang isn't bad, but the Vypyr is better. Preferably a Vypyr Tube.
I second (or third or fourth or whatever) the Vypyr. If you could find a Peavey Vypyr Tube that fits your budget that would be like perfect. Do you mind buying used?
Hi
The first and most obvious point is to decide on the type of guitar you want — acoustic or electric.
Never impulse purchase. Try out as many different kinds of guitars as is convenient for you.
Visit a lot of guitar shops after you get an idea of the guitar for you.
Never spend your money before you find what you're looking for.
Look for playing comfort, for example, if the neck of the guitar may be too thick for your hand or too thin, it might be hard to play fast on it.
If you buy an electric, you should buy a good amp too, because a bad amp can make a good guitar sound awful.
Thanks for everyones input, now i have an idea as to what to try out. If anyone could help with guitar suggestions I'd appreciate it.