I was looking around the Bare Knuckle pickup site and became interested in them. Anyone install any of their pickups? what are your thoughts about them?Thinking about swapping out the NYIIs to a set of rebel yells or nailbombs in a Grestch Electromatic Pro w/ Bigsby.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
They are widely known as the best pickups you can get. I can't afford them, otherwise I would use them. Top quality.
i have a Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 LE amp. I like to play various kinds of music but mostly Surf, Surf punk and garage. I have a modded Strat with Lipstick pickups in it for the surf style. Have a lot of different guitars just thought dropping a nice set into the Grestch would be a sound idea.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
i have a Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 LE amp. I like to play various kinds of music but mostly Surf, Surf punk and garage. I have a modded Strat with Lipstick pickups in it for the surf style. Have a lot of different guitars just thought dropping a nice set into the Grestch would be a sound idea.

Keep in mind that the contemporary series of Bare Knuckle are all meant for metal and extreme kind of one. If you're looking for a cleaner sound, go for a vintage or vintage hot series pickup.
I had a Mule for a little while.

It was a very nice pup. Nice enough to pay $100 more than a "shelf" brand? For me, no.

My opinion is that "shelf" brands can get you 90% of the way there. And no one has any business dropping BKP money if their amp isn't top shelf as well. If you have a $2K amp and you have the money, by all means, put BKPs in all of your guitars. But if you're running a $500 amp and you're trying to improve your tone with BKPs, I think you're going about that the wrong way, and spending money uselessly when it could be applied elsewhere (like towards a better amp, or even speakers).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
In a Gretsch? You want TV Jones.

Anyway, if we're talking about the same guitar the Electromatic Pro Jet (no such instrument as an Electromatic Pro) has mini-humbuckers, so you can't just drop a full sized bucker in.

Call me old-fashioned but I play a lot of Gretsch stuff and I don't think they play well with most standard pickup offerings. A lot of the unique Gretsch sound is in the pickups. If you want to buy a Gretsch and then put generic PAF types in it, you might as well go ahead and buy a yellow car but paint it black the minute you get it home.

I can tell you that nailbombs are going to be too compressed and probably too hot for your guitar and amp combo, and Rebel Yells probably too honky in the midrange. They're voiced for a different kind of guitar.

BKPs have a weird cult status online. They're great pickups but they are quite expensive outside of Europe and especially considering how many really excellent custom winders there are these days. I think a lot of it comes from 5 years ago when Bareknuckle were the one of the few boutique aftermarket winders that would actually make you a metal pickup. Now, anyone will wind you a crazy hot pickup and they're not unique any more. You can throw a rock and hit five top-notch pickup winders on the internet. BKP doesn't have any magic mojo that makes them the best, despite some of the internet hype. Get pickups that work for you, not BKPs because the internet says they're the best.
Yes, the pro jet with the mini-humbuckers. The guy before me did a bunch of upgrades (Sperzel locking tuners, graphite nut, NYII pickups and roller bridge). I like the guitar a lot just thought going to a more aggressive bucker would push it over the edge. Maybe i should just keep it as it is.... it sounds good and the amp/pedals i have do the job. usually i keep my stuff bone stock but if i get it modded then i tend to go a little crazy - like an all or nothing kind of mentality.
Quote by BlackVoid
You're not going to be able to drop a set of humbuckers in anyway. Doesn't it have the deArmond mounting? If it does your options are even further reduced. I'd be surprised if BKP made anything at all that fit your guitar. TV Jones makes a bunch, but they're quite expensive. I'd try messing with the pickup heights first.
cool, thanks. I will try the heights first.
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by Roc8995

BKPs have a weird cult status online. They're great pickups but they are quite expensive outside of Europe and especially considering how many really excellent custom winders there are these days. I think a lot of it comes from 5 years ago when Bareknuckle were the one of the few boutique aftermarket winders that would actually make you a metal pickup. Now, anyone will wind you a crazy hot pickup and they're not unique any more. You can throw a rock and hit five top-notch pickup winders on the internet. BKP doesn't have any magic mojo that makes them the best, despite some of the internet hype. Get pickups that work for you, not BKPs because the internet says they're the best.

+1- they've also got a lot dearer this last while. I do think that handwound pickups (assuming they've been handwound by someone who genuinely knows what he/she is doing) sound better than machinewound, everything else being equal, but you don't have to go to BKP prices to get handwound pickups.

I suspect you're right about the gretsch thing, too, but I've never tried a gretsch I have bad enough GAS as it is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?