Okay, so I've been playing guitar three years this Friday in fact. After reading a lot of reviews, I decided to go with Blackstar HT series. I'm thinking the 20 watt HT will suffice for now, save a little money, it is lighter, and I don't feel I'll need all the features the 40 watt HT has. When I improve and eventually play out with it, I could add a 2X12 cabinet If I need to, or I could mic it. I would appreciate anyone's opinion.
Understand that you are not getting a pure valve amp, as the HT series does contain solid state technology. If you are OK with that, and like the sound, then by all means go for it.

Maybe if you give us somemore information like budget, location, styles of music, etc., we might be able to recommend something that will fit you better.
Check out the amp thread questions; where are you, what do you play, what kind of budget do you have, bedroom guitarist or gigging?

I really like the smaller Blackstar practice amps, but I don't see the value, personally, in the bigger wattage HT series.
Last edited by jameswilddev at Jun 26, 2013,
I play mostly blues, but I like to play hard rock and metal too. Seems to me The Blackstar HT can do it all. I have a Blues Junior, I like it, but I want a more versatile amp than a Fender.
As far as budget, I try to save money wherever I can, but my main concern was regretting a 20 watt amp. But If like I said, I could get a cabinet later on. I play harp in a band now, and I always mic my amp, so I could do that too.
Budget?
Location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The HT is going to be near useless for blues.

Blues is all about dynamics and power amp distortion, Blackstars use a solid state phase inverter which wipes out all the preamp/power amp dynamics and keeps the power amp clean. This provides a stunning metal tone, blues, not so much!

I will look up some similarly priced alternatives in a second as I hate to be that person that shoots down all your ideas and just leaves you with nothing but I'm on my phone and I keep losing half written posts if I go researching

EDIT: OK, similar price range bluesy amps, new or used:

Vox AC15C1
Fender Blues Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30
Egnater Tweaker, 15W or 40W versions, personally would go for the 15W for blues
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jun 26, 2013,
That's cool Gordon, that's what I'm here for.
Budget, $700
Location Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
I was also considering the Peavy Bandit 112.
Bandit is solid state (not necessarily bad but I think you'd be disappointed going from the blues junior to it)

Incidentally, is the blues junior not delivering the range of tones you're after or is it just not feature rich enough? If it's just tone have you considered retubing it (with JJs or NOS tubes) and a speaker upgrade, specifically the Eminence Cannabis Rex whole different beast of an amp then
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Look used
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Mesa DC-3/5
Mesa Studio .22
Mesa Mark III (if you get lucky)
Mesa Blue Angel
Krank Chadwick
Framus Ruby Riot

Look here and you can find almost all of these and more for your budget www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
They have a great return policy also so if you don't like it they will take it back for 30 days.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Even though I'm mostly a blues dude, I really like the Marshal sound, there are blues player who
Last edited by spider 69 at Jun 26, 2013,
Oops, didn't mean to do that.
I meant to say there are blues players like Gary Moore who favored Marshall amps.
Marshall DSL 401 would fit your needs perfectly, really versatile amp
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Do yourself a huge favor and get the new Marshall DSL401C, its awesome typical retail is $699.00 you can get a better deal I'm sure. Great two channel amp with 2 modes/channel and nice effects loop and reverb.

It takes pedals great if needed to achieve the exact tone you're looking for.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by spider 69
Oops, didn't mean to do that.
I meant to say there are blues players like Gary Moore who favored Marshall amps.

ah ok, yeah that's fair enough.

maybe a traynor ycv50b? maybe that'd be over budget
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was actually considering the Marshall DSL40, but I read several reviews that said basically the Blackstar was similar but better. Which is how it got in my head in the first place.
Quote by spider 69
I was actually considering the Marshall DSL40, but I read several reviews that said basically the Blackstar was similar but better. Which is how it got in my head in the first place.

No. God no.
Quote by spider 69

I've got one of the older DSLs, but I picked it over the Blackstar HT series because I thought it sounded better in every way. Much nicer cleans and it sounds a lot more natural as you crank it
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Blues on a Bandit? Hell no.

I'm a Marshall blues man myself. I consider the 18W Marshall to be the best blues amp ever made (with the possible exception of the JTM45.)

JCM2000 DSL401 is what I think you should be looking for. If you keep the gain down and the volume up they make a great blues amp but it can also pull off metal tones once you wind up the gain knob..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sounds perfect, like I originally thought. I'll put the DSL401 back at the top my list.
I'll look into the ones you listed Robbgnarley, thanks!
You can do blues very well with a Blackstar HT, you just to need to play with the control a bit
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by spider 69
Sounds perfect, like I originally thought. I'll put the DSL401 back at the top my list.
I'll look into the ones you listed Robbgnarley, thanks!

I had 2 of those. Very versatile amp, just not a rocket for metal, which does not concern you.

3 channels, clean, over drive, and distortion. Built in reverb. Try to get a 2005 and newer DSL401 as the earlier ones were prone to overheat.

I'd take that over the HT series any day.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.