Hello fellow guitarists!

I want to get your opinion about something. I bought a beautiful Gibson Les Paul last fall, my first ever. However, I think I like the sound of my Zakk Wylde EMG pickups (which I have on my Epiphone Les Pauls) more than the stock Gibson LP pickups as I love the chunky metal tone.

Now if I replace my Gibson LP pickups with those same EMG's, am I basically replacing the entire (or major) reason of getting the Gibson LP? That is to say, is it the stock Gibson LP pickups that I paid thousands of dollars for, or was that due to other aspects of the guitar? I know that the Gibson has better wood and better hardware, but is that where the extra $2000 (as compared with the Epiphone) comes from, or is it the pickups? Would I be doing something really stupid by replacing those stock pickups?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
if the pick ups were that big of a deal gibson would charge even more for them when you just buy pick ups. and trust me they overcharge for their pick ups now.

if you bought an LP because of the pick ups, you did it wrong. i hope that's not too harsh?

if you like the sound of the emgs put them in there. it's your guitar and you should have it sound how you like it.

post pics, we love a nice LP around here.

you could always put the stock pups back in later.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 26, 2013,
The pickups are waaaay down the list of good reasons to buy a Gibson LP. Throw the EMGs in there, and enjoy.
Quote by Roc8995
The pickups are waaaay down the list of good reasons to buy a Gibson LP. Throw the EMGs in there, and enjoy.

Sounds good. So, out of curiosity, what exactly is it that makes the Gibson LP so much more expensive than the Epiphone?
Better everything, basically. Wood, electronics, frets and fret dress, nitro finish, hand shaped neck, holly veneer on the headstock, nicer inlays, etc. Plus there's some Gibson markup, but basically almost everything on the Gibson is improved in some meaningful way. The pickups are certainly a lot better than the Epiphone ones, but the price and quality difference is definitely not primarily in the pickups.
the quality of the workmanship (and associated cost of labor) is a big part of it too.

cough or so they say cough
Hi

To me, EMG's are useful in creating usable tone in a guitar thats a blank, toneless slate. Light basswood shredder guitars are built for fret access and light weight on stage but really don't offer much in the way of resonance compared to other build and wood types.
If you like the tone of EmGs go for it.
Quote by gregs1020
if the pick ups were that big of a deal gibson would charge even more for them when you just buy pick ups. and trust me they overcharge for their pick ups now.

if you bought an LP because of the pick ups, you did it wrong. i hope that's not too harsh?

if you like the sound of the emgs put them in there. it's your guitar and you should have it sound how you like it.

you could always put the stock pups back in later.

Quote by Roc8995

+311,000

So glad to see voices of reason got to this thread first. Absolutely agree with all of this.

Quote by MONI555
Hi

To me, EMG's are useful in creating usable tone in a guitar thats a blank, toneless slate. Light basswood shredder guitars are built for fret access and light weight on stage but really don't offer much in the way of resonance compared to other build and wood types.
If you like the tone of EmGs go for it.

Yes, as everyone knows Ibanez Prestige and Musicman JP guitars are blank, toneless slates. .
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 28, 2013,
It certainly inst the pickups that make a $2000 dollar guitar worth $2000 dollars!!

Chuck the EMG's in it! Just keep all the original wiring and pots etc so you can always return to standard if you want.

I just put an EMG 81/85 in my RGA121 and love it. People say not to, but if its the sound you like then there's no reason not to.

I guess they are ring mounted on your LP? and not direct mounted? if they are direct mounted you may just want to check the cavity size will house the pickup - the I made that mistake with the RGA and had to file the pickups to get them to fit!
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Cool... thanks everyone for your replies! I ordered a nice black chrome pair of Zakk Wylde emg's.