So I got a thinline tele (aw yea etc etc) and after some problems finally got it completely strung. The only problem is that on the 12 fret and up, the e string is practically on the edge of the board. Near the nut it isn't bad. I don't know if it's the bridge or what. I was planning on replacing it but I want to figure this out first.

Here are the upper frets where it's worst.

Here it is near le nut

So it's spread out more toward the bridge but I don't see the same problem on the low E. This doesn't seem like is should happen.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Could be the neck isn't exactly straight, can't see if the low E is too far in with the pic.

You could loosen, straighten a bit by eye and see if it tightens better.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 26, 2013,
Yeah I would think the neck isn't sitting correctly.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Are the saddles sitting correctly? They do move side to side a bit.

and depending on the style of bridge, some may flip upside down
Could be the neck isn't sitting snug in the pocket - or the saddles have slipped. Most likely culprits
Quote by Bassface7
Could be the neck isn't sitting snug in the pocket - or the saddles have slipped. Most likely culprits

This.

Slacken the strings, move the saddles towards the bass side of the neck, and re-tune.

If that doesn't help, loosen the strings again, loosen the neck bolts by a few turns each, then hold the guitar as if you are going to play it & pull up on the neck (towards the low E) while pushing down on the guitar body (towards the high E) to adjust the angle of the neck in the pocket*. Then, re-tighten the neck bolts, re-tune, and check again.

*note: you may hear a slight crack as the neck shifts in it's pocket. Also, if the neck pocket it especially tight, it may not move much & doing this sort of adjustment could potentially cause finish cracks.
Last edited by sinofian at Jun 27, 2013,
The previous owner put a different neck plate on it. The original was most likely square, but I guess they drill a hole so they could put a triangular plate on. This guy was a total idiot. The headstock is covered in drill holes for some reason.

Could the plate affect it? I'm thinking it's the saddles. It tried adjusting them once but I'll try it again. I'll inspect the neck pocket more closely and see if something looks amiss. If it's the plate I should have some sitting around that should fit.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlingerbut
I guess they drill a hole so they could put a triangular plate on. This guy was a total idiot.

Get that neck checked. If the last guy was faffing with the neck plate odds are the angle of the neck has changed for the worse.
I can tell you one issue right away.

See that circled area? Yeah, that part is supposed to be straight. Unscrew it and straighten it out. Then, check the bridge saddles.
It was the same way when I wasn't using the string tree. I don't even think I need to use it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You can see in the close-up picture that the neck isn't straight with the pickguard. Slack the strings, then loosen the neck bolts that hold the neck in place a little bit, then wiggle the neck until the strings are straighter and more even across the whole fretboard, then finally retighten the neck bolts.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
What idiot would remove a 4 bolt plate and install an inferior 3 bolt plate? I would get the 4 bolt plate and reinstall it instead, with any luck it'll hide the 3rd hole
Moving on.....
This happened on my strat, but with the low E string. Turned out the neck pocket was too heavily routed on the bass side of the neck, and the neck was slightly unaligned when bolted down. Had to glue a very slim wood shim to that side of the neck then sand it down to get the perfect angle.

Probably not that bad with your neck though, its most likely just been knocked slightly off, this is very common on bolt on necked guitars, especially those with the old 3 screw plate.
Quote by KenG
What idiot would remove a 4 bolt plate and install an inferior 3 bolt plate? I would get the 4 bolt plate and reinstall it instead, with any luck it'll hide the 3rd hole

He didn't include one and I didn't notice the hole when I bought it. I missed a lot of details. I tried loosening the strings and adjusting it. Still crooked. The low E is slanted as well. I might have to order a back plate to fit. The ones I have aren't the right size.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls