Hi UG. It's been awhile. I'm playing in a band and I regularly play out with a Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson ES-339. I've tried all sorts of different strings/brands, and decided to come here before buying another set of something I don't care for.
Here are my criteria for a new set of strings:
1. Good Sound that LASTS(For me, that's somewhere in the middle between a jazz player and a rock player. Half mellow, half bright - the Cobalt EB's die down after a few days of playing, and this is not okay haha)
2. Good Feel (a lá the Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt/Elixir Nanoweb)
3. Long-Lasting (ideally I'd like to change each guitar's strings no more than once per month if possible.

I don't have any preference in terms of flatwound vs. whatever-wound, nickel or steel, whatever.

What works for you that meets all 3 of those criteria?

THANKS A MILLION!
Personal preference + trial and error. That's really all there is to it.

Strings are such a minute detail to focus on in comparison to your overall sound. Worry about the gauge of your strings most of all, everything else is largely irrelevant (within reason).

Stick with the known name brands and you really cant go wrong.
Try Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts or Elixir Nanowebs.

Kidding. I have always either used regular EB Slinkies or GHS Boomers.
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jun 27, 2013,
Pyramid strings are durable and feel great.
Dunlop strings are not too bad and are cheap.
SIT strings feel really good, don't know how long they will last though.
Last edited by terribleguitar at Jun 27, 2013,
I personally like the Gibson special alloy humbucker strings and Dunlop nickel wound strings. The Gibson's sound a little beefier but wear a little faster then the Dunlop's. Overal Dunlop's are my favorite. I tried Ernie Balls, D'addario's, Elixer's, Cleartones and DR's. If I were you I would just buy one string pack from a couple of different manufactures for a comparison. That way you can make up your own mind.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Last edited by dnamra13 at Jun 27, 2013,
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. This is just a modified version of Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys.

Then you have a thicker E, A and D for chunkier rock chords or for a fuller, thicker jazz sound. The G, B and E are fine for all your rock soloing. The gauge is like .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052.

As opposed to Regular Slinkys which are 010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Jun 27, 2013,
I really like chromes, but they're probably too mellow for your taste. Honestly, NO string is going to retain that bright-new sound for a month; that's an unrealistic expectation, imo.
"Balance not just for karate, balance for whole life."