Okay so im gonna get a carvin bolt and well of course you choose exactly how you want the guitar to look like, color, materials, electronics etc.. and whether or not you want it to be fixed bridge or tremolo..

i want it to have a tremolo.. the options are either a wilkinson tremolo, vintage tremolo, or a floyd rose... but im only considering the wilkinson and the Floyd rose... The floyd rose would be my first pick and the wilkinson would be my second pick... if i chose to get it with the floyd rose carvin gives me the option to order it with or without a locking nut and it doesn't even give me the option to have a locking nut if i chose the wilkinson, so i was wondering why the floyd rose would, i've seen lots of reviews of carvin bolts with the wilkinson tremolo with no locking nut and it stays in tune, so why does the floyd rose need it?.. i was wondering if it would have trouble staying in tune if i went without the locking nut and went with carvins locking tuners instead if i chose the floyd rose?, will it have a hard time staying in tune or will the locking tuners eliminate that problem? cause imma be real pissed if i pay $1500 for a guitar and it can't even stay in tune! which tremolo should i get.. and can someone explain to my why floyds need locking nuts and wilkinson's dont?

If i chose the floyd with the locking nut will i really need the carvin locking tuners? would having both the locking tuners and the nut make it even better and easier to stay in tune or does the locking nut eliminate the need for the locking tuners...

if i go with the wilkinson should i get the locking tuners with it?
You don't "need" the locking nut for a floyd. Chris Broderick had some guitars with floyds but no locking nut. As for the locking tuners they do help keep it in tune a lot better especially if considering going without the locking nut.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Pretty sure the Wilkinson is more of a vintage style trem and isn't going to have the range of a Floyd which would mean it's tuning stability is going to be better and you can get away with not having a locking nut. The Floyd I would not go without a locking nut, tuning stability won't be that great without one.
Don't get a floyd without a locking nut.

If you're going to abuse the shit out of the trem, get the floyd and locking nut and wank away.

If its only for light trem use, get the Wilkinson. They are great trems and with the quality Sperzel lockig tuners and well lubed nut, they are very stable and flexible trems.

In my personal experience the VS100 trem is awesome.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jun 27, 2013,
They wouldn't give you the option of a locking nut with a Wilkinson tremolo because it doesn't have fine tuners, and therefore would be impossible to use with a locking nut.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tom 1.0

If you're going to abuse the shit out of the trem, get the floyd and locking nut and wank away.

If its only for light trem use, get the Wilkinson. They are great trems and with the quality Sperzel lockig tuners and well lubed nut, they are very stable and flexible trems.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tom 1.0

In my personal experience the VS100 trem is awesome.

well i dont exactly know what would be considered "abusing" a tremolo.. can you give me an example? and an example of not abusing it?
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Jun 27, 2013,
You don't need the locking tuners if you have the nut.

EDIT: Kerry King. Best example of abusing a trem I can think of.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by steven seagull
They wouldn't give you the option of a locking nut with a Wilkinson tremolo because it doesn't have fine tuners, and therefore would be impossible to use with a locking nut.

so um saw your tumblr page at the bottom and though that the name was just something you came up with and not actual pictures of your cat... so uh do you have like a cat obsession or something? no offense
Quote by GuitarNewbee
well i dont exactly know what would be considered "abusing" a tremolo.. can you give me an example? and an example of not abusing it?

Its a colloquial term for using the tremolo as though you want to break it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Um...

http://youtu.be/hEeglVzohQQ

From about 3 mins in...

Using the trem a lot to do lots of dive bombs, squeals, trills and just going to town on it...

And not abusing it would be the opposite of that...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jun 27, 2013,
Quote by jjfeu662
You don't need the locking tuners if you have the nut.

EDIT: Kerry King. Best example of abusing a trem I can think of.

well i do like slayer and will probably be covering raining blood but just that song and just once.. i'll be using the tremolo alot but not exactly going crazy on it like kerry but more like its used in by pink floyd (David Gilmour) kind of style. more of the gentle using it not slamming it around like crazy.. but nontheless i will be using it ALOT so will the wilkinson be good as long as i dont slam that shit out of it? or is the wilkinson more for people who barely use it?
Wilkinson would be perfect for you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Wilkinson should be good for that kind of stuff. But be sure to get the locking tuners for it.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
The Wilkinson should be good for that kind of stuff. But be sure to get the locking tuners for it.

okay another example would be like skid row.. would it still be able to play that cause thats the main reason i'm getting single coils.
Quote by jjfeu662

I personally don't think locking tuners make any difference to tuning stability. You can make non-locking tuners behave just like locking tuners if you know how to string them properly. I think a low-friction nut is the most important thing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I personally don't think locking tuners make any difference to tuning stability. You can make non-locking tuners behave just like locking tuners if you know how to string them properly. I think a low-friction nut is the most important thing.

so would a ivory graph tech TUSQ nut be good?
Yeah that would be an ideal nut.

Carvins come with Sperzels as standard anyway so don't worry about that. They are awesome tuners.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by GuitarNewbee
so would a ivory graph tech TUSQ nut be good?

TUSQ is imo the best, they're even better than bone. I think they're impregnated with Teflon, which is what makes them so slippery. They're also harder and more conducive to vibrations than bone. I fitted one to my Gibson V and the headstock will snap before it falls out of tune.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 27, 2013,
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah that would be an ideal nut.

Carvins come with Sperzels as standard anyway so don't worry about that. They are awesome tuners.

they do? but are they sperzel locking tuners or just normal ones? and would the carvins locking tuners be even better than the sperzels?
Carvins are Sperzel locking tuners.

They are the only tuners they fit on their guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by GuitarNewbee
so um saw your tumblr page at the bottom and though that the name was just something you came up with and not actual pictures of your cat... so uh do you have like a cat obsession or something? no offense

it was either that or post pictures of my junk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your tumblr is ****ing hilarious.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb