I saw a Zakk Wylde Signature Epiphone a few months back and I still want it. Only problem is I'm not sure if it's real or a fake. I've heard the Zakk Wylde signature along with the Slash signature are faked a lot. This Zakk Wylde signature is the older version, the one with the passive EMGs. I forgot if it was bulls eye of buzz saw but I'm sure it's red.
Specs from memory:
Red finish
Pickups had EMG written in red
Gold hardware
Rosewood fret board
No diamond on headstock instead Les Paul Custom or something in cursive
Truss Rod cover had Zakk Wylde written on it
21 or 22 frets
Body had a cream/white binding
Original Price was about $350-$380 but was on clearance sale for $150
Thanks in advance
if you can get pics of the guitar that would help tell if its a fake or not. but from what you're listing in the specs it should have the diamond on the headstock and it should say "Zakk Wylde Custom" on the truss rod cover. Should also be 22 frets. The EMGS should say "EMG-HZ" as for the red EMG logo it would be likely an EMG 89 and the 89 is an active pup. the hardware should be chrome not gold unless replaced. From what i got from your description it sounds like a fake. but again pics would help so much more.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
We cannot help you too much if you can't post pics.

But red pickup labels is obviously not right. $150 is suspiciously cheap.
No diamond on headstock instead Les Paul Custom or something in cursive

I wonder if the guy who built the guitar even knows what a Les Paul Custom looks like. I'd love to see pics of that particular disaster.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 27, 2013,
I concur with what ltdguy27 said. Given those differences between what is known about the ZW Buzzsaw, I'm betting it's a fake. Probably not even a modded Custom. Was there binding on the headstock?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Thanks for all the replies. Could someone list the specs of a 2003 Zakk Wylde Epiphone so that if I go back I know what to look for. Thanks.
Taken from epi's website:
Body Material mahogany
Top Material mahogany
Neck Hard maple SlimTaper™ “C” Profile, Satin Finish
Neck Joint Glued-in, set
Dimensions 24.75” scale
Nut width 1.68”
Fingerboard rosewood with pearloid Trapezoidal inlays
Fingerboard radius 12”
Neck Pickup Zakk Wylde EMG-81
Bridge Pickup Zakk Wylde EMG-85
Controls 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone, 1-Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone
Pickup Selector 3-way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal
Power 9 volt battery, hinged compartment in back
Binding Fingerboard and body 1 ply, cream
Bridge Locktone Tune-o-matic™/Stopbar
Hardware Gold
Machine Heads Grover® 16:1
Color Antique Ivory (AI)

I've got the camo version with the same specs, It shouldn't have the red EMG logo pickups (forgotten the model) unless its been modded ovc, but the fact that it doesn't have the diamond on the headstock is what id be calling it a fake having not seen any pictures of it.
If you do go and check it out again, take pics and post them. And get the serial #.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
From memory I'd say it looks a lot like the Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom Buzzsaw. I'd probably go check it out again.
Well I don't know a single EMG to have red writing on it, the EMG 89 and everything else from the dual mode series of EMGs have an Orange logo on them. My buddy has the Camo version of this guitar (bitching Epi) and it has standard the standard 81/85 combo. Sounds to me like its just a Epiphone standard that might have undergone a couple mods, certainly doesn't seem to fit the profile of a ZW Epiphone. I would exercise extreme caution on purchasing this guitar.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Sorry for the long wait. I just went back to the shop and now I'm quite sure it's genuine. Pickups say EMG HZ in silver/white.
Diamond on headstock.
Zakk Wylde graphic on the back.
Serial Number seems fine.
The price was cut from $300 to $150 because of wiring problems.(It has wiring problems, easy fix)
Do you guys think is it worth it?

Tuners say grover on them
Last edited by darrenram1 at Jul 13, 2013,
Why not, its only $150. You'd get that back on resale assuming decent condition.