I'm in the process of coating my guitar body in danish oil, however im not entirely satisfied with the result. What would be the best way to go about Lacquering over the hardened oil?

To shellac the guitar as a barier then spray the lacquer?
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
You don't put lacquer over oil. Oiled finishes are left raw.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I've tried this, but use this a LAST RESORT, it has worked like 1/5 times. Used with tru oil:

Let the oil finish completely dry, 3 weeks on the safe side.
Sand back so the top of the wood is raw while the majority of the oil sits in the pores.

Use an appropriate coloured grain filler (not wood filler) such as timbermate which stewmac no longer offers (replaced by their in-house colortone stuff)
Sand back so the grain filler sits over the oil finish

Your pores will not be present if you decide to go with a clear lacquer, all filled with oil and filler.

This is where things get iffy, again - last resort.

The only clear I've used is Watco Clear Lacquer (nitro)

On 2 mahogany test pieces, tru oil with timbermate over top. One piece's grain filler had shrunk over 3 weeks of clear curing while the other stayed perfect (what?)

i did one more test piece, 2 weeks oil dry. Timbermate and again it was perfect with the clear over top. When it came to the guitar itself the filler had shrunk over the lacquer cure time and I was forced to do a solid finish.

Again, last resort stuff. Absolute last resort? Solid finish

I'll add that i'm going to go try watco directly over tru oil right now! I'll be back ... in 6 weeks should your problem lie unsolved.
???
Last edited by solidrane at Jun 27, 2013,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
He is putting lacquer over it because it didnt come out the way he wanted, so he is going to re do it with a hard finish over it.

That's why you sand the oiled finish off and do it again.

Putting a clear coat over oil will just make things worse and look like shit.

Rub in a coat of oil, let it cure for about a day and a half and then repeat until you've got about 3 or 4 solid coats.

Danish oil is a little rough - it's not going to give you that smooth finish like straight up Tung oil would. It's much "harder" than that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
That's why you sand the oiled finish off and do it again.

Putting a clear coat over oil will just make things worse and look like shit.

Rub in a coat of oil, let it cure for about a day and a half and then repeat until you've got about 3 or 4 solid coats.

Danish oil is a little rough - it's not going to give you that smooth finish like straight up Tung oil would. It's much "harder" than that.

Ever tried to sand off oil?? Not so easy...
And i have sprayed clear over oil and it looked just fine. NOT the best way to do it, but it will work if necessary.