I have a $100 GC gift card that I am going to use to get a wah pedal. But what wah?

I want something that is versatile, has a long/variable sweep and I'm fairly new to wah pedals so I can't think of a third factor. Something that can play early 70's rock, Black Sabbath, and thrash metal guitar solos (like Metallica).

I've been looking at the Ibanez Weeping Demon, the Dunlop Cry Baby (not sure what the difference is between variations) and a Vox V845/7. As I said, I am new to wah pedals so any input will be appreciated.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Best bet is to listen to some of your favorite tracks that use a wah pedal and find out which ones you like the most and find out what the artist was using for a wah pedal on that track, for the most part it is the inductor that changes your tone (unless you have something that allows you to adjust the Q levels and Sweep) I think you will be finding that it will be the Crybaby or the Vox you end up going with as your selection of bands will have used one of those two pedals, with the English guys most likely using a Vox.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I own a Weeping Demon. It's very versatile but doesn't have a very traditional sound. It's...more harsh I guess. But it gives you the option to use a button or the Morely activation style where you just step on it. Probably won't give you those tones. I'd look at the various types of Crybaby's on Musician's Friend or GC.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't think it's possible to go wrong with a Crybaby.

I wouldn't recommend the Vox. They make better amps than effects.
Weeping Demon is nice and very versatile/tweakable.
Like it a lot.

Also it never gets too shrill as many other wahs do while still having enough cut and bite.

But maybe I'm just a bit biased.
https://soundcloud.com/mrvaroudy/ibanez-wd7-everything-at-12
https://soundcloud.com/mrvaroudy/ibanez-wd7-voodoo-child
https://soundcloud.com/mrvaroudy/ibanez-wd7-personal-favourite
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
MXR Custom Audio Electronics wah is great.

sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC404CAE
Last edited by liskywhisky at Jun 27, 2013,
I own a Vox Wah Wah, and my cousin has the Dunlop Cry Baby, it's far superior in my opinion. The Vox wah needs regularly cleaning out, otherwise after a couple of weeks you hear this "crackling" noise, the Cry Baby just sounds nicer as well for cleans and hi gain. I quite like the Morley Tremonti wah, there's not a massive amount of "wah" to them, say as much as the Cry Baby, but as soon as you press your foot on it the wah activates, it's pretty cool.
I settled on the Crybaby after trying almost every other wah.I like the Vox sound,but last time I looked they didn't have an adapter jack.Those things eat batteries.
I'm pretty sure most cry babies come with power jacks.

I just picked up the Wylde Wah for like $80 CAD. Like you I just wanted something cheap that sounded good, and had a little versitality.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by liskywhisky
MXR Custom Audio Electronics wah is great.

sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC404CAE

I had this wah and just want to point out that it would not work with my Vypyr. no matter how I set the amp or the pedal there was always a screeching sound and I even exchanged the pedal for a new one because I thought I got a bad one.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
What's the difference between Cry Babies? The 535Q has a knob on it, and just about every notable artist has a signature.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
I'm thinking between the Weeping Demon or the Cry Baby 535Q. Or there's a WD for $40 and a 535Q for $60, but I can't be sure they'll have power supplies.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
bumping
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
I'm thinking between the Weeping Demon or the Cry Baby 535Q. Or there's a WD for $40 and a 535Q for $60, but I can't be sure they'll have power supplies.

I'd go with the 535Q. You can adjust all the pramameters you need (Range, Q, volume) to get the wah sound to your liking. The Weeping Demon the same adjustments, but if you're looking for that older, 70's kind of sound, the 535Q is going to get you there a lot easier than the weeping demon. Then again, Frusciante used an Ibanez wah wah and still got some vintage wah wah sounds.

They probably won't have power supplies for that much, but I find that wah wahs don't eat up batteries as quickly as modulation or delay pedals. You should be good with batteries for the next little while until you want to shell out for a power supply.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
535Q (or the crybaby from hell for a bitchin' paint job).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The 535Q can also get that screaming metal tone, right? If so, it has all I need from it and I'm gonna get that.

I read on Wikipedia that the newer Cry Baby wahs don't have true bypass. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
The 535Q can also get that screaming metal tone, right? If so, it has all I need from it and I'm gonna get that.

I read on Wikipedia that the newer Cry Baby wahs don't have true bypass. Is that something I should be concerned about?

I had a 535Q. Didn't like it a lot. I like the Vox Wah Wah a lot more. The 535Q was a pain to adjust and I couldn't get the Wah I wanted. It was great for multi-purpose, but I wanted a one trick pony.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you use a crap load of non-buffered pedals (like 6 or more), it may be a problem. If not, no. Too much of one buffer type is bad. With non-true, you get tone change, and with too much true, you get signal loss. And I'm pretty sure a 535Q does metal, since my crybaby from hell is same thing and does it well.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I have a Peavey Vypyr and if I didn't all I'd need is a wah, a distortion and a chorus so I don't think I'd have enough pedals to make a difference.

If anyone objects to me getting the 535Q, speak now because I'm about to order it.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Own a 535 and love it. So many features built-in make it a great versatile choice.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Quote by Shelbien
If you have a Vypyr 30+ watt, why not get the Sanpera I/II that goes with it?

I got the 15-watt, and I don't think if I buy a used 30 with money from selling my Dinky it would come with the Sanpera. Anyways I want the 535Q.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662

True bypass is really just a buzzword the industry uses to sell pedals with no other redeemable features than "hey! it turns off!". Unless you're using a chain of 8+ pedals, impedence and tone loss shouldn't be an issue unless there's something wrong with one of the pedals. But if it's really something that concerns you, the 535Q is "almost" true bypass. From Dunlop:

"The 535Q is almost true hardwire bypass. While the circuit is arranged for true hardwire bypass, there are very large resistors hanging off the input and output. These act to discharge any leakage from input and output capacitances, thus reducing the amount of ‘pop’ heard during switching. You must remove R41 and R42 in order to make the 535Q true hardwirebypass."

So, if you really want it to be true bypass, you can remove those two resistors. If you find that it sounds alright, you can leave them alone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
If you're that concerned about true bypass you could use a switching box to bypass the pedal completely. This would also be useful if you wanted to bypass more than one pedal.
Weeping Demon Jr. and Dunlop 95Q deserve a look. I don't know how I would live without instant on/instant off wah. I think the sound of the Dunlop is great for general wah-ing, but the Weeping Demon Jr. has a very distinct sound that is smooth and subtle, but screams well without such a pronounced shoulder.

I also like skipping teeth over on the Dunlops to use more of the low side of the pot (not a fan of the ultra screech).
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=morley+wah&src=morley+wah

I don't really like the switchless style (I own a PWA) because I like to be able to set the starting point, somethimes I am just switching it on and off and not even touching the treadle. Whether to go with one of the switchless ones or not is a matter of how you intend to use it.
All Morleys use optos for the treadle though so you never have to worry about actuator pots wearing out and going scratchy like Dunlops and Voxes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by guitar/bass95
I don't think it's possible to go wrong with a Crybaby.

I wouldn't recommend the Vox. They make better amps than effects.

It is very easy to go wrong with a crybaby. The current production 'originial' crybaby is shit.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
If you use a crap load of non-buffered pedals (like 6 or more), it may be a problem. If not, no. Too much of one buffer type is bad. With non-true, you get tone change, and with too much true, you get signal loss. And I'm pretty sure a 535Q does metal, since my crybaby from hell is same thing and does it well.

That's not an entirely accurate representation.

IRL for most things a good buffer is equal if not better than true bypass. However, a poor buffer is much, much worse. With true bypass you know that when it's off it's completely off with no tone loss. Buffers are very helpful for long cable use or large pedal boards.
For example, pedals like tube screamers aren't true bypass but have quite reasonable buffers.

I really wouldn't worry about true bypass unless it's a cheap pedal - in which case true bypass is nearly always a plus. But if the pedal sounds good, and doesn't murder your tone when off than who cares what kind of bypass it has.

Another thing on buffers is that they will have quite a big impact on some pedals tone (such as fuzz faces - most people don't like buffers before certain fuzzes).

On which wah:
Several of the dunlop models are quite decent - the 535q is a jack of all trades but a master of none. It depends on your needs which you'll want.
The crybaby from hell is a slightly modified 535q and works well for metal - I think the 535q will work based on that.

tbh for metal I prefer morley wahs, not my favourite for classic wah tones though. I wouldn't really recommend the vox for metal (maybe the satch sig would be good - but I've never played with one).
Personally, my favourite wahs are from RMC - they are quite pricey though.
The mxr mc404 is quite good too imo.
RIP Gooze

cats
So true bypass isn't the big deal those guys I heard from somewhere make it out to be.

What's the difference between the 95Q and 535Q, and the WD7 and WD7Jr?

And now there's the Morley Bad Horsie, but apparently they're hard to control. But Steve Vai makes it sound so awesome, or is that just him?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
with $100 best bang for the buck is the 95Q. Switchless Crybaby, switchable volume boost and a Q knob as well all for $99 new or maybe 109 but right around your price point new.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by jjfeu662

What's the difference between the 95Q and 535Q, and the WD7 and WD7Jr?

They have different control knobs and some other features. 95Q doesn't have a switch, it just automatically turns on when you put your foot on it, I don't know if that's important to you. 535Q has more control knobs so I guess there's more possibilities for controling your tone. As far a I know, WD7jr is a cheaper version of WD7 or something like that.
So any love for the Bad Horsie?

I'm probably going to go to GC this weekend and compare the 535Q and the Bad Horsie myself. They don't have the WD7 in stock in Florence.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Just get a crybaby so that you'll have a classic wah pedal and extra money towards a different pedal that you want! Or you could go with a Morley bad horsie- I heard those are really good
The WD7JR is just the WD7 without the footswitch and bass mode I assume. From my experience, I'd take it over a Morley of the same price.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls