I have to admit that I know squat about pedals. I had a fuzz in the late 60's cuz everyone had one. All I remember about it is it was red and round and I don't even know what happened to it. I play tube amps and that's all I've ever owned. Just started playing with a new band and the guys said I needed a little more compression for finger pickin'. I tried one of their compression pedals and yeah...they were right so I'll get one of those. So now the question is ...do I need other pedals? Another fuzz maybe or an OD? I'm currently playing a '66 tweed voiced Blackface Twin Reverb that weighs 70 lbs. at setup and 150 lbs. at teardown. I'm used to just crankin' the volume to get the breakup I want but at 85 or so watts, it's a little much for their sound guy who can't seem to get me dialed in. My other amp is a Cox 5E3 Deluxe clone which they mic and does a decent job most of the time. So...I have a reverb and trem (err...uh...vibe, sorry Fender) in the twin do I need to pedal the Deluxe? And if I have those effects do I need a phaser, delay or chorus? Mostly, everyone seems happy enough with my playing, just not overly enamored with my sound. I've been trying to get a bit of help from the sound guy but, while mostly friendly, he's a little standoffish, like I should already know (you know how sound guys are...like you're trying pry away some sort of secret known only to them). Holy crap! Pedal math is hard! A little insight would certainley be helpful.
Last edited by HotDan! at Jun 27, 2013,
Short answer: no, you don't need any. You've managed without up till now.

Slightly longer answer:no, however, pedals can be a lot of fun. I'd recommend a delay for starters. You can do a lot with one, from thickening the sound too long trippy echoes. Pedals give you more sound options, obviously, and really can enhance and inspire your playing. Try a few, check out some YouTube demos, maybe you'll fund something you like.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
When I gig, it's mostly guitar into a tube amp, with a little spring reverb and I'm good. At home, I'm Mr. Acoustic, so no peddles needed most of the time.

You really need to analyze the type of music you're playing and let it dictate the types of pedals you need. The songs you're playing should be the determining factor.

Also, if you're miking your amps and you're not happy with the tone, because you can't drive them to get the right breakup, you might want to consider a smaller wattage amp. With 85 watts, you're going to have to drive it pretty loud and hard to get some of that sweet tube tone - which means that you're competing with the other band members - so they have to crank up their volume levels, which turns into utter mush. Consider buying a 5w or 10w tube amp. You won't have to crank it nearly as loud to achieve that nice tube tone. I have a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special that will go all the way down to 5w. At that power setting, it sounds really sweet as you crank it up - and you don't have to get crazy loud to achieve it. Remember, you're miking your amp...

Another thing to consider is how you're miking the amp. You've been playing since the 60s, so you should be able to do that in your sleep. Obviously, the way you mic the amp will have a big impact on the tone the sound man gets.

Pedals... Here in my home studio, I have a compression pedal and a digital reverb that get a lot of workout, when I'm playing electric. I have a dozen pedals in my board, so I have some of the pedals you mention, but they don't always get used. If you had the two I mentioned earlier, plus an OD or fuzz, blues pedal, tremolo and a volume pedal, that would cover quite a lot of area. From there, decide what songs/genres you're playing and fill in the gaps.

Edit: Here's a photo of my pedal board to give you an idea of what I use, when I'm in the mood for electric.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/KG6_Steven/pictures/gear/488195/
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 27, 2013,
...and, read one of the big pedal board threads on here. You can see what folks like to use and the type of music they play and get an idea of the different pedals.
Quote by CodChick

I'm currently playing a '66 tweed voiced Blackface Twin Reverb that weighs 70 lbs. at setup and 150 lbs. at teardown

HUH...? your amp weighs more after playing it......?
If you want to continue using your amp and avoid a mess of pedals, you could look into an attenuator so you can still get that tube saturation without the extreme volumes. They are more expensive than pedals but are a god send when trying to get tube saturation and working with a sound guy.
Quote by Talon64
I'm currently playing a '66 tweed voiced Blackface Twin Reverb that weighs 70 lbs. at setup and 150 lbs. at teardown

HUH...? your amp weighs more after playing it......?

I think he's using hyperbole.
Pedals are one of those things that you can get along just fine without them for years and years, start using them, and wonder how the hell you ever got along without them. Then again, you can play with them for years, get rid of them, and wonder why you ever put up with them.

Delay is always fun to play around with. Fuzz Face is a solid place to start with fuzz (sounds like that was the pedal you played back in the 60s), Ibanez TS9 is a standard for overdrive.

The idea of trying an amp attenuator isn't bad either.
I think you could build a small board. Nothing you don't need, just a couple or a few. Build onto it as you need to. Right now it seems like you only need a comp and an OD. So leave it at that, until the situation calls for more.

I suggest you invest in a really good OD.

I'm much more familiar with comps than ODs though. I really like the Wampler Ego. Some other very popular ones are the Diamond Comp, Keeley 4 Knob, The Boss CS-2 and the MXR Custom Comp. They're all great, you just have to listen to them as much as you can (Youtube is your friend), and try to pick one that suits you. If you can get to a store and try some, that is always best, but in my experience stores usually don't carry high end pedals.

The OD I know much less about, because I don't use standalone ODs at all. I can tell you that Wampler makes great dirt pedals, they're one of the only companies I actively recommend for standalone dirt. Mad Professor might have something you like, but I don't know much about them.

We also have quite a few builders here, one of the regulars could build you exactly what you want if you just describe to them what you want. Hopefully someone will chime in with a list of their usernames, I'm pretty terrible with names.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if you are doing chicken pickin i take it your not doing metal. compressor, good OD, delay. check out the liquid sunshine mkII by subdecay. low gain, very natural tube breakup sounding. also look at the fender style tweed pedals from lovepedal....they are insanely good sounding for that fender drive.

http://www.subdecay.com/liquid-sunshine-mkiii
i personally have loved every JFET gain pedal ive used. i think tehy are very natural sounding for breakup.

http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/
all are good, they now resell the zendrive, also VERY nice. i was referring to high powered tweed, les luis, and the tcula. the kalamazoo is a classic.

and all around tubescreamer clone that is basically 3 pedals in 1 is my signa drive by cmat mods. not particularly unique as far as tone, but its very natural soundung, touch sensitive, and give like a tube screamer, a clean boost, and a 3rd type of light drive all in 1.

wah?

for comps? MXR isa go to. i have also looked at
pigtronix philosophers tone ---mixed with grit
white horse by VFE---mixed with grit
orange whip by henretta effects ---- all tone no BS, no knobs! just an on switch!
SP compressor by Xotic -----very nice
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 28, 2013,
We're doing country, rockabilly, LOTS of country from classic to contemporary, 60's and 70's rock (Byrds, Eagles, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco...you get the idea) so the songbook is pretty big. Trying to sort out the pedal mystery from the thousands out there can be pretty overwhelming. Just don't want to waste a bunch of money on something I don't need/want/like so I'll try the OD along with a compressor and go from there as suggested. Thanks for all the input. You've all been very helpful. Oh and the Twin just FEELS like it's packed on some weight at the end of the night...know what I mean?
Definitely check out a Boss CS-2 for country.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A nice compressor that's really simple, plug-and-forgot is the Xotic SP Compressor.

As has been suggested, an OD and a delay would be helpful. For an OD, there're lots out there, my current favorite is the Mesa Flux Drive, a really transparent OD that doesn't turn your tone on its head.

For a delay, the Flashback has lots of sound in a simple box that's easy to tweak and simple to use. Or you can consider the Way Huge (Aqua Puss, Supa Puss or Echo Puss) if analog's your thing. The Puss line has a variety of variation on delay with a modulation circuit in-built.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well, the one my band mate has that I tried was a Keeley Compressor. I obviously don't have any comparisons but I did like this one. If there's something better, by all means...chime in.
Last edited by HotDan! at Jul 13, 2013,
OK fellas, I got the Keeley Compressor, a Paul Cochrane Timmy OD and a MXR Carbon Copy so now I'm a three pedal man and as iwannabesedated suggested, I never knew how much I needed pedals or how much I was missing by not having them and the delay is an absolute hoot to play with. Sorta like better living through chemistry it's now like better playing through electronics. Dang...I'm sounding better than ever. Thanks again guys.
Awesome, have fun with them. Delay is by far my favorite pedal to use.

I actually went on the opposite direction last night and ditched my pedal board and just went straight into my Orange. It isn't a permanent change for me as Ilike playing with pedals. Still, it was good to tty to see the range of sounds and tones I could get with just the knobs on my guitar.
Quote by CodChick