Page 1 of 2
Long story short, i have store credit with my local guitar store. They can order amps for me from orange, peavey, fender, kustom, blackstar, evh, and mesa.

I have about 1,000$ to put towards an all tube head for my 4X12.
I want 3 channels and an effects loop. I also want something over at least 50 watts.
Cleans are important. But i also want something with a decent hard rock crunch tone and a lead channel that can approach a metallica type sound.

Right now the blackstar 100w head looks nice and so does the peavey 3120.
Any thougts on the evh 5150?

Thanks!
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
EVH 5153 is a beast.

Very good flexible amp. Orange makes good stuff. Forget the BlackStar HT series.

What do you like to play? That will help determine. Also can you play these?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I play lots of different types of music. Classic rock like pink floyd or rush. More modern stuff like Muse. 90's alternative like alice in chains. Hard rock such as AC/DC. Or metal like Metallica. I need something that is versatile.
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by thundermonty
I need something that is versatile.

EVH 5150III
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
EVH 5150III

If i had 800$ more than my budget allows, that'd be great. But honestly, trying to come up with 1000$ is killing me. Im a high school student with no job.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Get the 50 watter. Basically the same amp with half the power and combined EQ on the blue and green channel.
The Mini sounds about as good as the big brother, too.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
coming to the realization that "5153" is another way of saying "5150III"

my mind= blown

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Definitely get the 5153 (5150 III) mini head. It's 50 watts and is in your price range. It has three channels, has an effects loop, and it can do what you want tonally. I'd get one if the music I'd play on that was a necessity (mostly play indie rock stuff and punky stuff so...no go).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
5150III 50w looks great. only a few things, power and standby switches are on the back, channels 1 and 2 share eq controls, and it isnt made in the usa. hows the 3120 compare??

Two Notes Torpedo Live

It is made by Fender so the switches are on the back. I know. I know. Stupid shit.
Yes those channels are shared but I think you can make it work.
Most QC issues they had early on with the 5153 100w have been resolved. I wouldn't worry too much.
I've played the 3120, it is also a good amp. I think I'd still take the 5153.
Can you buy used amps too with the credit or only new.
What about Egnater?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 27, 2013,
Pretty sure they are made down the street from the Corona plant in California

EDIT: Down the street in Mexico, that is.

I wouldn't dismiss it completely due to some silly nuances like place of manufacture or where the switches are, as you would be really surprised how easy it is to turn it on once you develop a muscle memory for it.

You should really sit down with it and tweak around, as you won't find quite as much versatility in another amp in the same price range that sounds that good. The bigger brother is going to be the smarter choice, but it almost doubles in price.
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jun 27, 2013,
i can buy anything in the store thats used. only amp they have that i like is a '66 bassman. as sweet as it is, it doesnt quite fit my needs

Two Notes Torpedo Live

my guitar is a cort kx1q. mahogony body, passive humbuckers. almost sounds like a prs se custom 24. any effect this'll have on which amp i should get?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

I would personally take the 3120 over the 5153. To me, the lead channel on the 5153 has an obnoxious amount of gain. It does more harm the good for your tone. I thought it had a lot of gain on channel 2, then I discovered the 3rd channel and I stopped playing immediately.

Of course I can't say it's a bad amp, but I like playing Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer and I'd way rather have the 3120 for it.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
i was really liking the 3120... never even heard of the 5150II until tonight. but damn, that tihng looks badass. it have enough guts to push my 4x12?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by evmac
I would personally take the 3120 over the 5153. To me, the lead channel on the 5153 has an obnoxious amount of gain. It does more harm the good for your tone. I thought it had a lot of gain on channel 2, then I discovered the 3rd channel and I stopped playing immediately.

Of course I can't say it's a bad amp, but I like playing Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer and I'd way rather have the 3120 for it.

Too much gain? There is a knob for a reason.

You don't have to have it on 10 or even 6 for that matter.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The 3rd channel does have a ridiculous amount of gain, even past like 1 or 2. But I bet with some tweaking it could be configured for a non-wacky lead tone. But the other two channels are perfect.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Assuming you can only purchase new, yeah?

Can you get a XXX II?

3120 wouldn't be a bad choice, IMO.

5150 III Mini is a good amp. It's a little limited, but it has really good tone.

I don't think you can go too wrong with either TBH, though I suspect a Peavey might be a little bland compared to the EVH.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i have a credit there because they will let me trade in things to them that i could otherwise never sell locally and are too big for ebay. plus i returned some items to them and they only offer store credit on that. its more complicated but thats the basics. they do have a wesbite but its really just for location and contact info. its a small town :/

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
or a Peavey Vypyr 120 tube

nahh, i thought i'd buy 30 fender frontman 15g's ;P
5150III 50w seems to be the popular choice. and if im understanding it correctly, the evh is almost american made, but they moved the factory just across the border in order to cut costs?
also, whats this issue i hear about a volume jump between channels 1 and 2?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Last edited by thundermonty at Jun 28, 2013,
I have seen orange thunder 100s go for 1180 new. A little over you budget but not too bad. Also it is badass, great clean and wicked gain. Same with the XXX II, and with everyone else on its bandwagon I have to agree the 5153 is pretty nasty.
i think i will pick up an EVH 5150III 50watt head I shall report back with my findings. Thanks everyone!

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by Ultima2876
Blackstar. Whatever model you can squeeze for the budget.

Not this.

The Series One amps are killer. Very good amps for a slightly more aggressive, more modern "classic Marshall" tone. Very mean amps.

However the HT100 (and the HT in general) is a joke, and his budget falls on the big HT heads, not so much the Series One heads.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
at this point i might as well change this thread to a "5150III vs. 3120" thread. and the general consensus seems to be that the 5150III is more versatile and will have much better cleans.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Did you say if you can get a XXX II or not?

I'd bet you could get better cleans out of it than the 5150 III. If only ever so slightly. Point is it has great cleans as well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
sadly no :/

Two Notes Torpedo Live

isnt the 3120 an xxx redesigned?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Not sure why all the hate for the Blackstar HT range, they're versatile as anything tonally and personally I think they sound awesome on all channels.

I would be torn between the Blackstar and the 5153 in your position, but I think i'd choose the Blackstar.
Peavey model guide:

The 6505 is the exact same amp as the 5150
The 6505+ is the exact same amp as the 5150 II
The 3120 is the exact same amp as the XXX, but ships stock with EL34s. Both the 3120 and the XXX can take both 6L6s or EL34s.
The XXX II is the exact same amp as the JSX.

Don't ask why, I'm of the opinion that they ****ed up with their naming system. No idea what they were thinking.

The 3120 is fine, the XXX II should have been the 3120 II or the 3120+.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 28, 2013,
The EVH 5150 3 to me would certainly be the best amp there, you'd have to get the 50 watt version to stay in your budget, however if you're ever at a venue when you need more than 50 Watts of tube power you should be really micing your cab up.
Quote by AJScott
however if you're ever at a venue when you need more than 50 Watts of tube power you should be really micing your cab up.

A watt is a watt, a "tube watt" is not superior or different to any other type of watt, and with a 3dB difference when you double power, the need to mic up the 50W is about just as much as the need to mic up the 100W at the same venue.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
biggest venue i play is a gym full of 800 people. i used a blackheart little giant 5 watt head into 2 1X12 cabs. mic'd both up and it was barely enough with the amp cranked. so a 50w into a 4X12 shouldnt need to be mic'd.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Page 1 of 2