I'm looking for a new guitar to replace an old Ibanez GRG270. Didn't know much when i first bought it and now i regret having the tremolo bridge and other stuff. It's not a bad guitar but getting parts for it is getting harder so a newer guitar would be useful.

Anyway, I mainly play metal and don't quite like bright tones (though it may be caused by the amp). 24 frets is preferred but not necessary. As stated above, i don't want tremolo bridges.

In my area the brands that are easy to find are ESP/LTD, Fender, Ibanez. There's some Jacksons and Epiphones around but its harder to find. There are relatively unknown made in china brands too.

Hope I could get some advice on choosing or some models to consider. Thanks ^^
Budget?
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
Ibanez S421? The S series has a mahogany body so a much warmer tone than a basswood RG. If you can find Epiphone, they are also mahogany and almost never come with a tremolo.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jun 28, 2013,
I like my EC1000 great guitar
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
This band is Sylosis:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=q6FoEyW_LQc&list=FLhfLUBs2H-5zU_LkUQQuUng&index=1&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dq6FoEyW_LQc%26list%3DFLhfLUBs2H-5zU_LkUQQuUng%26index%3D1

They are playing their new Reverend Sensei HB and Sensei RA: hardtail, korina body, volume/tone/bass contour controls, 3-way switching.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What advice are you actually looking for? You've told us virtually nothing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

He's looking for something that's not a GRG.

Get an Epiphone, or some people like ESP LTD, but I despise that brand.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Sorry about that. I'm not too sure what info is needed.

For budget, it's probably below US$300. I mostly play rhythm guitar but venture to lead styles occasionally. I prefer humbucker pickups and use both both bridge and neck pickups although I prefer the sound from the bridge pickups.

Not sure if this info is still relevant but I use a Roland Micro-cube. I switch my tunings quite often so I'll need something that's easy to tune. My current Ibanez has those pressure pads to hold the tuning and its quite annoying to have to remove them to re-tune.

Is there any more info you'll need? I'm still not sure what is needed. Sorry
I've played LTD m-53. It is a super strat style guitar that features Vintage Tremolo Bridge, so changing tunings frequently or changing strings is hassle-free. It has HSS pickup system, 22 extra jumbo frets and a thin; very comfortable neck profile. It sounds good and stays in tune very well. You should get it within USD300. And if you can raise your budget 50/60 USD more I think you can consider Ibanez ART 100 or LTD EC 200QM. I've played the ART 100 at a store and it seemed an okay guitar. I can't tell anything about the LTD one, I've read some reviews and I've seen few rhythm players use it; it might be good. Just try them before purchasing.
Quote by E.Vern

Is there any more info you'll need? I'm still not sure what is needed. Sorry

Tell us exactly what you like and don't like about your guitar. Don't worry about the sound, that's not immediately important. Pickups can be changed all day long, and there are hundreds out there to choose from. The most important thing is getting something that feels good to you in your hands. Once you get a guitar that feels good and you enjoy playing, then we can find a pickup that'll get you the sound you want. That's the easy part.

I'm assuming you didn't see it, so this is the "What Guitar?" Questionnaire. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28571615&postcount=1

Answer as much of that as you possibly can, and we'll be able to narrow down something that should work for you. Otherwise you're just going to get people shooting random suggestions in the dark at you, which doesn't help anyone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Budget: $300
Favourite Artists: Trivium, Children of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold
Brand Preference: Ibanez, Jackson, ESP/LTD
Frets: 24
Pickups: Humbuckers
New or Used: New
Current Gear: Ibanez GRG270

It's my first guitar so I don't really have much experience with other types of guitars. There's nothing outstanding about it to be liked or disliked. The only thing I don't like about it is the tremolo bridge. It seems to be falling apart these days. The spare parts are getting harder to find and repair costs are getting higher. It's just time for change I guess.
Shapes? I'm assuming you're looking for a super strat?

These are a pretty safe bet. They're pretty similar. Pretty much just a headstock preference at that level. The LH-150s are some of the best stock pickups I've ever used. Better than the LH-301s, for whatever reason.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-LMH100QMNTD-Quilt-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-107896953-i2491383.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-H-101-Flame-Maple-Electric-Guitar-107043010-i1177179.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 30, 2013,
I'm not particularly concerned about shapes. Just having the guitar sound and feel right is more important to me. But I do find the Gibson SG shape quite interesting. Thanks for all your help so far ^^
TS, I would suggest playing whatever you can get your hands on and deciding what you like and don't like. What sounds like it fits your requirements on paper could be complete crap when you actually play it, due to neck shape, balance, fret type, pickups, etc. I would throw Schecter into the bag, but you may have a time locating one.

Quote by benzorocks3
whats better to get a gibson ibanez or esp for rock

Yes.