Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my friend's Squier Esquire(?) reproduction and it has some pretty decent bow action going on with the neck. I figured loosening the truss rod would add some relief to the neck and fix it.

Well, over the course of a few hours, I turned the truss rod about 2 full turns before giving up and letting it sit over night. I figured maple is pretty hard wood and would settle over several hours.

I woke up, and checked the guitar. No changes.

I know that the nut isn't striped out. The only noise it ever made was a very subtle squeak as if never have been moved from the original purchase date. This guitar was also quite dirty. I don't think it was anything structural.

Also what I'm trying to do is lower the action. I know lowering the saddles would do it, but with the saddles lowered to the bridge, there's still 4mm or 5mm of distance between the string and 12th fret.

And just so everyone knows, I put .10 D'Addario Nickel Wounds on it.

I plan on taking it to a guitar tech, but he's only open today by appointment, so I'm going tomorrow.

Thanks!
A truss rod adjustment can't fix serious bowing to the neck, only minor. When wood is bowed too much you can't just push it back into place. I would assume the tech will say the same and suggest a new neck or new guitar.
If the neck has too much back bow, Perhaps try loosening the truss rod and put a set of 13s or 14s on it then tuning that to standard or D#/Eb and letting it sit. Make sure the neck is well-attached to the body, Though, And don't drop it. This might help correct back bow, But each guitar is different so I might as well be shooting in the dark here as there may be something else I'm missing here. Still, It's a thought and perhaps you can make some use of it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Which way is the neck bowed? Are you sure you've turned it the correct way?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
It's bowed forward, not back. I was pretty certain that loosening the truss rod would fix that, and I checked some stuff to make sure. The bow hasn't gotten any worse, though.
I've never seen a guitar that had less relief as you loosened the truss rod, quite the opposite. I would tighten it back up two turns, let it sit overnight, and then tighten it a half turn and see where that gets you. After all, the truss rod is there to counterbalance the tension of the strings, so wouldn't it follow that tightening it would add more tension to the neck and decrease the relief induced by string tension?
Quote by 4FunandProphet
I've never seen a guitar that had less relief as you loosened the truss rod, quite the opposite. I would tighten it back up two turns, let it sit overnight, and then tighten it a half turn and see where that gets you. After all, the truss rod is there to counterbalance the tension of the strings, so wouldn't it follow that tightening it would add more tension to the neck and decrease the relief induced by string tension?

Yup, by loosening the truss rod, you're making the forward bow worse cause now the strings are pulling the neck up. Tighten it down as much as you can and you might get lucky. I've already had two acoustics with a bowed neck problem, tightened the truss rod as much as I could and mostly got all the bow out.

Just do less than one turn a day and you wont break the truss rod.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Just do less than one turn a day and you wont break the truss rod.

Glad some one said that. Also, loosen your strings first.

I got a good deal on a HW1 Strat that had so much forward bow, I actually had to brace it against against my leg and push back the headstock to take enough tension off to comfortable tighten the truss rod. Luthiers have fancier ways of doing this, but essentially the same idea. If the neck is bowed really badly, don't rely on just the strength of the TR to pull it back, because they can break....
Thanks for the feedback! I fixed the forward bow problem. The action is still pretty high, but I don't think much could be done to fix that unless the neck could be shimmed or something. It's playable, and I know my friend will be quite pleased with this guitar.