Ok, I've listened to extreme metal for years but I have never been able to find the actual term for the vocal styles that are used, and I was wondering if there actually is a term for it. It's always seemed really awkward to have to say "death metal growls" or "black metals rasps" instead of an actual word for it

Anyone know what they're actually called? Some help would really be appreciated
The technique that black and death metal vocalists use is called false chord screaming. Hardcore and metalcore bands tend to use a technique called vocal fry. Theres a growling thread sticked in the singing forum, the guys in there can tell you more about it.