Or should I say, how long was it before you wrote something you were actually proud of? I'm an intermediate player but a complete novice songwriter. Ive been playing for 5 years and haven't yet wrote anything I would consider good.

I would love to hear about your experiences with writing music. Did you lock yourself in a room and not come out until you produced something worthwhile? Or do you wait to hear the right melody in your head before pursuing it further? Anything I write becomes a mash-up of riffs that have no feeling in them, and even getting to that point is so difficult for me

Please, tell me your story
Awhile ago...

srsly tho.... awhile ago

Basically, I started off messing with Guitar Pro, trying to tab out whatever I'd play/compose. Eventually getting to a point where as I'd say "I need the bands contribution at this point" as in drum and bass fills etc...

Then after that one day I signed up for 'UG's post rock album' and recorded my first full instrumental track with drums, bass, guitar and well it all sounded nice. So I'm guessing that one. Getting from a 'blueprints/sketches of a song' to the point where you write and finish tracks is quite a tricky experience.

I also ended up getting banned for some stupid reason the day before the album was released and Idk why they didnt include my track

this is the track
http://vendettav.bandcamp.com/track/disembodied-flier

also don't worry about not being able to do it. it takes quite some time. try and analyze a lot of tracks that you listen to. what makes them interesting? solos, bridges, other cool things, the mix isn't pale either. some instruments are introduced mid way, etc. You know what I mean.

And after that when you're writing a new track, think of what your track is missing. A calm part, a buildup, new instruments mid way or osomething.

cheers,
Vendetta V
i think it was after around 5-6 years of playing guitar that i made a song i was proud of. i was always able to come up with individual riffs i liked, but that first song was the first time i could envision the whole song's structure with intent as i was writing it. most of the individual pieces were still random riffs though.

i think that was a key thing for me, realizing how to think about a song in its entirety. because when we listen to music, we often get impressed by certain passages, but the appreciation of the entire structure of a song happens at a slightly more subconscious level.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Well that depends...when I was about 13 I wrote a song I really liked, now that I think back it wasn't that great through. The think with writing songs is you should be proud of your work, but it's also good to feel like you could do better or that you still have more to learn as far as writing goes. That way you keep writing and the more you write, the better you get.
I'm currently in the process of writing it. Gonna be a prog rock anthem that sounds quite a lot like rush. It's a pain in the ass to write it down though (using guitar pro 6) since it changes back and forth between 5/4 and 6/4...
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
14 years old. But from then on until quite recently, the other stuff I was writing was very hit and miss. Some were absolutely awful - what the **** was I thinking, I would ask myself. There were a couple of gems amongst the dragon droppings, and ever since I was about 17 (I'm 18 now) I'd say I'm now writing more gems than shiters - but to tell you the truth, you have to churn out a whole load of shite before you find your gem.
6 years guitar experience until I was confident enough to say "hey, I'm pretty good at this."
Still waitin'. If you're happy with what you've written a little ways down the road, you haven't grown as a composer. I don't really believe that, but I kind of do.

It took me about a year to actually produce something I don't cringe at when I look back. 5 or 6 pieces in that time.
I'm constantly finishing stuff, thinking to myself 'hey, that wasn't too bad'. Usually just because I actually managed to finish a thing. Then a week later I'll start picking holes in it.
Quote by henrihell
I'm currently in the process of writing it. Gonna be a prog rock anthem that sounds quite a lot like rush. It's a pain in the ass to write it down though (using guitar pro 6) since it changes back and forth between 5/4 and 6/4...

Do you mean you have to keep changing the times? Ctrl+Shift+C/V will fix that. It will copy whatever highlighted bars you need for all instruments, but will automatically fill the times too.
Around 5 years after I started playing. I didn't actually like the song that much at first, but once I joined a band and there was drums, bass, and vocals on it I actually liked it a lot.

I would say if you're not in a band try to save stuff even if you don't like it that much. Just a guitar sounds boring and empty, when you add in other instruments it can make it sound a lot better.
Q is for Cheese
I have been playing since august 2007, and it was around april/may 2011 when I first wrote a song that I really liked and didn't end up throwing into the trash bin the day after. It was a song about a girl I liked, I couldn't be with her and we kind of stopped talking to each other. I really missed her, and one night I was strumming an A chord and lyrics came to my head all of a sudden. From them on, I started writting songs that I liked, and those became the songs I play with my band nowadays.

So, it took me around four years to start writting songs I liked. The thing is, you have to try and learn as much as possible, so you have the best tools at hand whenever inspiration strikes. Listen to a ton of music and them some more, and try to get out of your comfort zone. You might be influenced by a certain artist or band, and that's fine, but listening to lots of music will help you get inspired.
I don't think that the author of a song is in an actual position to gauge what is "good" or not. It never ceases to surprise me what songs people like in original bands, if you're in the band you think that one song is the best, another song is meh, then the audience will inform you that it's actually the opposite.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't think that the author of a song is in an actual position to gauge what is "good" or not. It never ceases to surprise me what songs people like in original bands, if you're in the band you think that one song is the best, another song is meh, then the audience will inform you that it's actually the opposite.

This. Also you can't define good. It's a matter of taste. You may loath what you write now in a few years as you grow as a composer.
Sometime between late late 2008 and 2011. It's a bit difficult for me to pinpoint the date.
Quote by AlanHB
I disagree to some extent. For me at least, I knew when I'd written something decent but I guess it's important to know when what you write isn't good.
All I remember is I learned peter gun, Then stairway to heaven & dust in the wind. Then metallica. Then I remember starting to write my own stuff. But it all progressed naturally so I never really put alot of thought into it. Looks like 4 or 5 years.

I started out writing good guitar stuff. I like all of my songs guitar wise. The vocals are a different story. The thing is when you play and practice them so much they become redundant. sometimes I just get tired of messing with a song. but I still like the music Iv written.
Quote by Emperor's Child
For me at least, I knew when I'd written something decent but I guess it's important to know when what you write isn't good.

People don't write bad music on purpose dude. Same goes for the good stuff.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
About a year after I started playing. I come up with stuff I like all the time; it could be because I like everything and I have no taste.
I have this one song that I wrote awhile back that I really like. Over the past few months, I've been editing it slightly to give it a better vibe. It still needs lyrics and a title though.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Every good song I've written has been inspired in some way. Maybe some people can, but I can't "hack out" a good song - that is to say, lock myself in a room with a guitar and muscle it home.

Often I feel like I'm "discovering" the song, rather than writing it. It's not, really, an intellectual process. I do think at one point I said to myself "I'd like to it get more uplifting here, I'll try shifting to the relative major" but for the most part it's about hearing a sound in my head and trying to find it in my guitar.
Last night, not a song song, an short instrumental(like thre interludes at Satriani albums) which I'm really proud of, tomorrow I'll orchestrate cellos & violins for it. I have other "good" but they're unfinished
I didnt actually start writting my own stuff until I was playing for about 5 years. I was always very proud of what I had written and wouldnt finish or struggle through writting a song if I didn't think it was better than the one before. sounds a little cliche, I know. looking back some of it was shit but I still regularly play songs in my sets that I wrote when I was 16. I was very self consious and the biggest critic about my own songs but after a while I stopped caring. if people dont like them fuch them. we write songs because we want to, not to please others. If you like them other people who are into the same style as you probably will too. keep writting
probably last year, when i started using garageband.
it wasnt the best song but i remember listening to it non-stop thinking... ive actually made something
19, it was about 3 months ago and was my most recent song. I feel like my talent for arranging coming along is the limiting factor for my song writing so there is scope for improvement.
SMILE!
I'd have to say about six months to a year after I started seriously studying guitar. I wrote two songs, one right after the other. The first wasn't bad, but I reworked it a few years later once I got better at songwriting (it eventually became "Jenny Lee"), but the other, I sat on for ages until I played it for my instructor and he was like, "dude, why are you hiding this? It's awesome."
Tomorrow
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Still working on it.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3