Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
First of all:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Second of all:

*spiel*

I don't see why not

Not looking for new amp, just considering

And yeah, I have seen those videos before. It's just whilst Ola's tone is great, killswitch engage's isn't IMO and I'm just wondering which one is a truer reflection of the actual amp sound. By actual amp sound I mean what it would sound like if I was stood next to it.
]
Funny. I think Adam and Joel's tone is far better than Ola's but I like my mids

That said, KSE is known for using a variety of amps in the studio and layering guitar tracks. I also heard they used Splawns again along with the Laney Ironhearts but I have yet to confirm that. Just based off that simple observation I'd say Ola's mic'd up demo is probably a better indicator of the Ironheart's tone.

PS: I just saw KSE live the live tone was pretty much spot on to the recorded tone and I believe they were using Ironheart combos.

I know right?

PPS: I like Ola's tone too in general but most all of his demos sound the same (no offense Ola).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 30, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Funny. I think Adam and Joel's tone is far better than Ola's but I like my mids

That said, KSE is known for using a variety of amps in the studio and layering guitar tracks. I also heard they used Splawns again but I have yet to confirm that. Just based off that simple observation I'd say Ola's mic'd up demo is probably a better indicator.

PS: I just saw KSE live the live tone was pretty much spot on to the recorded tone and I believe they were using Ironheart combos.

I know right?

PPS: I like Ola's tone too in general but most all of his demos sound the same (no offense Ola).

So it's just a matter of eq then? And yeah Ola's tone is pretty much the same for every amp even though (apparently) he doesn't use much post eq
]
In my band we play with one ironheart, with a tubescreamer yes it can, without it also, but then it lacks some gain (built in boost is not really good in that amp, disable it when playing with tubescreamer). So, i would recommend it.
Quote by Reages
In my band we play with one ironheart, with a tubescreamer yes it can, without it also, but then it lacks some gain (built in boost is not really good in that amp, disable it when playing with tubescreamer). So, i would recommend it.

Got any clips? Or failing that, does it sound a bit like Ola?
]
Yea man! I have the same amp and I get some really nice tones that sounds like Ola/Feared.
I got an Ibanez APEX-2 and then I run it through a modded DS-1. It just ads some beef to it.
I can post my settings if you`d like to.

FEARED ARE AWESOME!
Dissonance is underrated.
Last edited by Lyrax at Jun 28, 2013,
Quote by falcon1439
Got any clips? Or failing that, does it sound a bit like Ola?

i would say it sounds better than in that clip (his mids are like at 0), with tubescreamer a lot better
Quote by Lyrax
Yea man! I have the same amp and I get some really nice tones that sounds like Ola/Feared.
I got an Ibanez APEX-2 and then I run it through a modded DS-1. It just ads some beef to it.
I can post my settings if you`d like to.

FEARED ARE AWESOME!

Does it sound better boosted with a ds-1 than a tubescreamer? Posting your settings would be great!
]
Read in an interview with Adam D that both him and Joel both used Ironhearts on the album for the distorted tones. All distortion on the new album is an Ironheart with a Maxon OD .

Live, they both use IRT heads. Adam uses a IRT60 combo for cleans, Joel's uses something else. Can't rember what.

Your KsE knowledge is now fulfilled haha.

Also, I own an IRT60h and have to admit... It's freaking great. Clean, distortion... Even the built in boost is usable. Not quite as effective as a tubescreamer, but when used right can be effective. Have to really boost the mids on the IRT, however. And balance the tone knob with the volume to stop it becoming shrill in the highs
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by falcon1439
Does it sound better boosted with a ds-1 than a tubescreamer? Posting your settings would be great!

I haven`t actually tried boosting it with screamer but I have a moded ds-1 that sounds really good.
TONE +3
DYNAMICS all the way to the right.
Doesn`t matter if it`s lead or rhythm.
Treble 2-3+
Mids boosted 0+-
Bass 3+
gain at 8.
DS-1 tone all the way to the right and gain about 7-8 o clock.
Weird setting, I know. Works well for my rig at least.
Can't comment on sounds with a strat, but I've been using it for my Foo Fighters tribute band, and have managed to get a pretty awesome Grohl-esque rhythm sound out of it.

Sounds pretty great when I play with my pickups coil-split. So I don't see why it wouldn't sound good with a stat?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Both of the guys in KSE are using Ironheart's live - they played on the stage I was working earlier this year and there were three heads back stage.

None of which had decent cases, either. They were being transported in (slowly deteriorating) cardboard boxes held together with gaffer tape. Odd.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Both of the guys in KSE are using Ironheart's live - they played on the stage I was working earlier this year and there were three heads back stage.

None of which had decent cases, either. They were being transported in (slowly deteriorating) cardboard boxes held together with gaffer tape. Odd.

That is odd. Could you tell what heads they were? I am assuming they were not hooked up and just there for back up? This tour did seem a bit stripped down but damn.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 1, 2013,
The amps were running cans that were mic'ed for the show. No external and/or off stage outboard gear running anything that I could see from stage. Considering we were the local crew setting it all up I really would've noticed!
Yup - cabs. Not cans.

I'm in Australia and have just had my first coffee of the morning...

Clearly need more caffeine if I'm going to make it through the day and continue mistyping at this rate.
falcon1439, did ya try my settings?
And yes... The Ironheart is amazing.
I think Ola is showing how many amps can do his one "sound" instead of how many sounds one amp can do.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Last edited by bassmastamitch at Jul 1, 2013,
Hi guys!

I've got a jim root terror at the moment but judging by this thread, I'll not have it much longer! Needed a new amp anyway as my band is getting more popular

And yes tried the settings, but on my Jim and I really liked the sound!
]