Page 1 of 5
EDIT: ITT you will see plebeians getting mad denouncing competitive gaming as not a sport, when it wasn't even argued so in the first place. There is a reason they hold the name "eSports."

This thread is inspired partly by the MLG Anaheim Spring Championship

(Starts today at 5:00 PM PDT)

And this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjTnukgSu8
4.7 Million people tuned in to last year's MLG Spring Championship. 6 million to IGN's IPL 5.

I personally enjoy watching eSports, primarily FPS's. And with the growing abundance of technology in the average (at least 1st world countries) person's life, can we expect to see a growing interest in eSports. Possibly even surpassing irl sports?
Last edited by Skullivan at Jun 29, 2013,
Quote by Skullivan
This thread is inspired partly by the MLG Anaheim Spring Championship

(Starts today at 5:00 PM PDT)

And this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjTnukgSu8

I personally enjoy watching eSports, primarily FPS's. And with the growing abundance of technology in the average (at least 1st world countries) person's life, can we expect to see a growing interest in eSports. Possibly even surpassing irl sports?

Gd one m8
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
meh
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
lol gaming sports.

also im da best at shooters i tee bag u all day cuz im mlg top 20 1v1 me u suck queer lolololol
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I only ever followed MLG during the Halo 2 and Halo 3 years.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
dumb
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I enjoy gaming - I totally get competitive shooters...but virtual competitive sport just overdoes it for me; isn't it better to play actual sport and get exercise?

Of course, you could do actual sport and also risk severe injury.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous, but I would be willing to bet money that it will be (unfortunately) extremely popular in the future, possibly even more so than real sports.

I don't see why anyone could watch it, but that's just me. Watching someone else play a video game is almost worse than listening to NASCAR on the radio.
Just be in band. You get outside and exercise a little but you're still a nerd.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by CoreysMonster

This is why less and less people actually DO anything, and choose to sit inside on their ass all day. People are pansies, and afraid to get hurt.
MLG was great in Halo 2 and 3. Not even particularly because of the gaming, but it was like any other sports league. You knew who were rivals, and you knew them as people and the history between everyone. It was compelling in a narrative way, if not always (though it often was) due to the gaming.

I haven't watched since the last Halo 3 tournament and don't really keep up with other ESports leagues besides the now declining CoD4 Promod scene.

I don't know how many people who've actually competed in gaming just call it dumb and whatnot. I got in to it after I left my football team (who I captained and went on tour with and whatnot) and basketball team. In my experience, making a goal saving challenge, last second buzzer beater and making the Plat to Green jump with flag on Pit and running it home last minute to win a match is all the same rush.

If you have to give up physical sports for whatever reason and still crave a competitive, team oriented challenge, competitive gaming really is a great option.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is a severe injury
Quote by NoBC14

I don't see why anyone could watch it, but that's just me. Watching someone else play a video game is almost worse than listening to NASCAR on the radio.

The NFL aren't worried everyone's gonna realize you can watch your mates play down the field every sunday. There's a difference in quality and organization that make it compelling to watch, same with any competitive event.
Quote by NoBC14
This is why less and less people actually DO anything, and choose to sit inside on their ass all day. People are pansies, and afraid to get hurt.

This isn't even true. Plenty of people are still athletic and love doing sports.

Professional game players have been a thing for hundreds of years. Chess, Checkers, Go, etc. etc.
Pretty lame. Also, one of the few things that someone would get absolutely 0 respect from me for being good at.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by CoreysMonster
This isn't even true. Plenty of people are still athletic and love doing sports.

Good thing I said "less," and not "everyone."

I've met plenty of people that won't play physical sports because they're terrified of getting hurt.
Quote by Dreadnought
Pretty lame. Also, one of the few things that someone would get absolutely 0 respect from me for being good at.

Why?

I can't remember if you were outraged at the drone dude getting a Victoria's Cross.
Quote by NoBC14
Good thing I said "less," and not "everyone."

I've met plenty of people that won't play physical sports because they're terrified of getting hurt.

Are any of those people good at anything competitive?
Quote by willT08
Why?

I can't remember if you were outraged at the drone dude getting a Victoria's Cross.

If you're incorrectly referring to the proposal of a new medal that was for UAV operators and their ilk, then yes I was very much against it; so was the Secretary of Defense, or somebody, since they struck down the idea.

And I don't know, they would just get no respect from me. I don't look down on people for doing it, I just don't value at all the ability to be a good gamer.
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jun 28, 2013,
Quote by Dreadnought

At least they make money from it, competitive gaming can't be more lame than modding UG
Quote by Dreadnought
If you're incorrectly referring to the proposal of a new medal that was for UAV operators and their ilk, then yes I was very much against it; so was the Secretary of Defense, or somebody, since they struck down the idea.

And I don't know, they would just get no respect from me. I don't look down on people for doing it at all, I just don't value all the ability to be a good gamer.

Meh, fair enough.
Quote by Dreadnought

And I don't know, they would just get no respect from me. I don't look down on people for doing it, I just don't value at all the ability to be a good gamer.

Do you not respect a good chess player? or poker player?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Conversely, we'd probably all be able to kick his ass after school by the basketball courts.

Quote by Ssargentslayer
Do you not respect a good chess player? or poker player?

Yeah not really
There is a large reduction in what people do for hobbies these days. If you are in this forum, music or guitar is a hobby in one way or another. On occasion you will find someone who likes to draw or collect stamps or work on a car, but the majority of young people I know don't do anything in the way of a regular hobby. People spend a lot of time on the internet, video games, TV.

Most gaming is competitive in one way or another, but there will never be mass popularity of people watching other people play Counter-Strike.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah not really

Gotta disagree with you there, man.

Playing a game well requires no less dedication or practice than anything else. It can be football, chess, or Team Fortress 2, learning to be better than most people at anything takes a lot of effort and should be respected.
Quote by bigblockelectra
There is a large reduction in what people do for hobbies these days. If you are in this forum, music or guitar is a hobby in one way or another. On occasion you will find someone who likes to draw or collect stamps or work on a car, but the majority of young people I know don't do anything in the way of a regular hobby. People spend a lot of time on the internet, video games, TV.

Most gaming is competitive in one way or another, but there will never be mass popularity of people watching other people play Counter-Strike.

It depends on the country, Asian countries like South Korea can get big numbers for competitive gaming because most of the guys there are like 5'4" and can't play sports.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
no u

pretty dmb.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
i don't see why it can't be a thing. but i'm not even into watching regular sports, so i am a bit biased. i wouldn't watch competitive gaming either. only time i watched any of that stuff was when i was trying to learn how to play starcraft.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I like the part on deadliest warrior where they run the code, it's action-mcpackular.
Page 1 of 5