I have a 2006 Ibanez RG120 that I'm wanting to upgrade.
I'm wanting to know if a Floyd Rose will fit with the existing bridge routing and the existing studs. I dont want a flouting trem system, unless I have too.

I'm repainting the guitar matte black, getting gold hardware & upgrading the pickups to Seymour Duncan blackouts. I know I sound stupid for putting more money into the guitar than it's worth, but it's my first guitar and I'm attached to it :P
With the money you would have to spend to get it routed (never mind the new hardware and getting a locking nut installed) you're looking at a few hundred bucks right there not counting getting it finished.

My advice to you would be just to keep the guitar as it is and save up that money to buy a new one. I understand that it is your first guitar and you love it (I know, I love mine too) but do you really want to spend $600+ on upgrading a $200 guitar when in the end it will still play and probably sound like a $200 guitar? That just doesn't make any sense.

If anything, I would just get a new bridge (assuming you can find one that matches the post spacing) and getting a new set of tuners and calling it a day. That's really all you can besides just completely rebuilding the guitar and (like I said before) that would cost 3 or 4 times more than the guitars is worth.

Take it form me, as someone who once spent over $1,000 "upgrading" a $400 guitar, IT IS NOT WORTH IT.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Buy something like an RG570 with the money you intend to spend upgrading the RG120. When you get nostalgic, you'll be able to pull the stock RG120 out of its case and reminisce about the old days and all the fun you had... and then you'll snap out of it and put it away until the feeling hits again.

We've all been there man. Take the advice, buy a good guitar, save that one for the memories.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Buy something like an RG570 with the money you intend to spend upgrading the RG120. When you get nostalgic, you'll be able to pull the stock RG120 out of its case and reminisce about the old days and all the fun you had... and then you'll snap out of it and put it away until the feeling hits again.

We've all been there man. Take the advice, buy a good guitar, save that one for the memories.

Actually, I refinished it myself for about $30 (And about 6 hours of work). And I found a gold bridge for $30, new gold tuners for $65 and I get a set of invader knock offs for $60. I'm satisfied with this honestly, plus, iif I wanted active pickups, I could always get the Seymour Duncan Blackout preamp moduel for $55.
Quote by xXxJUSTJACKxXx
Actually, I refinished it myself for about $30 (And about 6 hours of work). And I found a gold bridge for $30, new gold tuners for $65 and I get a set of invader knock offs for $60. I'm satisfied with this honestly, plus, iif I wanted active pickups, I could always get the Seymour Duncan Blackout preamp moduel for $55.
Did you want our opinion or validation on what you've already done?

At the end of the days, it's your money and you can do what you want with it, but I think I can speak for this entire forum when I say that you would be much better off with a better guitar in the first place. Think about it this way:

Guy A's first car is a 2004 Civic and he really likes it! Its his first car, and a pretty good one for the price! He drops tons of cash on it to upgrade the suspension and then eventually adding a turbo and and polishing the internals. Now his cheap first car is much faster than it used to be and looks totally cool for a Civic! Sweet!

Guy B notices how much Guy A is enjoying having a fast car, but decides he'll just buy a fast one outright rather than putting so much work into a slow one, so he goes out and buys a slightly used WRX STI for the same money that Guy A dropped on his crappy Civic. Who ended up with the better car?
Last edited by ExDementia at Jun 29, 2013,
Quote by xXxJUSTJACKxXx

The point is that you're still spending a lot more than the guitar is worth, actually close to the new price of the guitar, and that doesn't include a Floyd style trem or the routing and work needed to mount it. All we're trying to do is save you some time, money, and frustration trying to learn what we already know: that it rarely pays to invest a bunch of money in a cheap guitar. If you shop smart and buy a used mid to high end guitar for cheap guitar money, you come out ahead every time. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife, and you can't turn an RG120 into... well... a real RG.

I'm not trying to put you or your guitar down, just telling it like it is. I started off on a GSA60 and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I modded the hell out of it and was really proud... until I took the Pepsi challenge with an RG550. It's quite an experience to come from playing a guitar with decently low action to one where light has trouble passing between the string and the fret. I was blown away, pure and simple. To add insult to injury, the guy didn't have much more in it than I had in my GSA. It's just a better guitar. BUT, if you're satisfied with the guitar, then ours opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them .