Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
Cue sports are sports
23 59%
Cue sports aren't really sports
16 41%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
Inspired by brief mention in the competitive gaming thread, do you consider billiard games such as snooker, pool, 3-cushion, etc. to be a sport?

(For those who don't know, snooker is a far more difficult version of cue sports played on a 12X6 ft table with smaller pockets, rounded cushions, 15 red balls and 7 balls of other colors).

Although I'm a bit biased as I'm a huge fan of Snooker and play quite a bit of both snooker and pool, I definitely consider it a sport and I think it fits under most definitions of the term.

I think "cue sports" as it's referred to can fit under all of these definitions of sports:
Quote by Wikipedia
Sport refers to the exercise of skill in a physical activity which is often competitve, and carried on for its intrinsic enjoyment, including that of its spectators.

Sport is generally recognised as activities based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity. Sports are usually governed by rules to ensure fair competition and consistent adjudication of the winner.

Quote by Dictionary.com
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
Quote by Webster's Dictionary
physical activity engaged in for pleasure
Regardless, definitions themselves aren't that important, but although the sport isn't as physically demanding as football, it's still a physical activity which is extremely demanding in skill. Nowadays to be a professional snooker player in Europe it's almost impossible unless you've been a child prodigy. To play at the level the game is being played today requires years and years of constant practice hours each day practically from childhood, going through drills, understanding the physics of the game, etc.

There is a very strong difference in the approach professionals and serious tournament players have towards the game, compared to bar players who see it as a way to have fun while drinking.

Anyways, discuss.

EDIT: FUCK, voted the wrong option
Last edited by The Madcap at Jun 28, 2013,
No.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Fun? Yes. Challenging? Yes. Sport? Not in the literal sense.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by metal4eva_22
Hooray! I love arguing semantics.

you literally cannot argue anything other than semantics or syntax. you wouldn't know this because you're a dumb brony fuck. pretentious wankers, the lot of you.
but is it an art
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
No, but it is fun. I don't think golf is really a sport either, but I would rather go golfing than play many sports. Same for pool.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
but is it an art

if you saw the call shot Ronnie O'Sullivan hit in the 93 World Championship match you wouldn't have to ask that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by captaincrunk
you literally cannot argue anything other than semantics or syntax. you wouldn't know this because you're a dumb brony fuck. pretentious wankers, the lot of you.

love you cc

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
but is it an art

love you bob

Quote by Thrashtastic15
No, but it is fun. I don't think golf is really a sport either, but I would rather go golfing than play many sports. Same for pool.

golf is boring as shit but it just barely makes the cut.

snooker is a fat kid sport. if you weigh more than 300lbs, then it counts as a sport. for anyone with a normal person weight and the ability to move more than 10ft/min, it doesn't count.
well it's on espn
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
nope.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jun 28, 2013,
Quote by captaincrunk

And I prefer semantics over syntax. Why are you so mad?
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121

The face of an athlete in his peak. Such a beautiful physical specimen. A tribute to what the human body can be.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Depends on what you think of Chess.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by lolmnt

The face of an athlete in his peak. Such a beautiful physical specimen. A tribute to what the human body can be.

I'd shoot my balls all up in his holes.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by lolmnt

has zyzz returned?

Herculean in form. A walking statue, but not cast in stone; A walking statue of muscle and virtue. This is what we should all aspire to be.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I can't think of any non-arbitrary definition of sport that would exclude it, but who cares? Sport is a wastebasket word.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
On the other hand though you gotta wear shorts to play pool.

Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by lolmnt

Herculean in form. A walking statue, but not cast in stone; A walking statue of muscle and virtue. This is what we should all aspire to be.

symmetrical hairline curvature
perfectly even 5'oclock shadow
luscious red lips
strong greek nose
meticulously trimmed hair
strong thick neck
piercing blue eyes

masculinity personified
Quote by lolmnt
*Mark Williams*

Not totally sure if you're trying to be humorously obtuse, or, if like every other thread you argue in, you're resorting to silly insults because you can't think of any other way to demonstrate your point.

You look at him; gaze upon his mass of muscle and might. He looks down at you, from his perch on Muscle Beach, muttering the eternal question: "Do you even lift?"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt

You look at him; gaze upon his mass of muscle and might. He looks down at you, from his perch on Muscle Beach, muttering the eternal question: "Do you even lift?"

<1% body fat
jaw so strong it descends into his neck
such vascular hands
strong yet dexterous fingers
perfect fashion sense
no visible sweat sheen
rosy cheeks
perfectly sculpted faux hawk
TS you didn't mention Billiards, I've heard that's an even harder game to master.

The difference is Pro/Couple blokes down the pub are playing for a laugh. Two Pro's are playing for money, so they've spent years devoted to their craft, training both the physical dexterity and the mental ability in order to play to that high a level. In any other sport you have to train hard to get good, so why can't snooker be considered a sport.

Another bit of the defonition you could've put up is

SportAccord uses five categories for its member federations' sports, many of which fall into more than one category:
Primarily physical
Primarily mind
Primarily motorised
Primarily coordination
Primarily animal-supported

Snooker falls into two of them.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 28, 2013,
Nope. Neither is golf, nascar, or poker - those are games. Games are activities done casually for fun without a need for physicality. A sport takes athleticism and physical skill.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Malchius

SportAccord uses five categories for its member federations' sports, many of which fall into more than one category:
Primarily physical
Primarily mind
Primarily motorised
Primarily coordination
Primarily animal-supported

Snooker falls into two of them.

having sex with ur mom fits into all 5
It's a sport professional snooker is as skillful as anything done kicking bits of rubber around

Quote by guitarxo
If it's competitive it's a sport.

obviously

So getting a job/spouse/parking space are also sports?
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Jun 28, 2013,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
It's a sport professional snooker is as skillful as anything done kicking bits of rubber around

So getting a job/spouse/parking space are also sports?

if its competitive it's a sport.

obviously
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The sport of life.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by necrosis1193
Fun? Yes. Challenging? Yes. Sport? Not in the literal sense.

Well, yeah, in the literal sense it is.

sport
/spôrt/
Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
"physical exertion"

like i said. if you're fat, it counts, if you've got a functional human body it doesn't
Quote by Trowzaa
Well, yeah, in the literal sense it is.

sport
/spôrt/
Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

sport
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

(Everyone thinks this is Hemingway but it isn't)
Yes it is.

also the masters are being played 10 minutes from my house but I cba paying the ~£65 amount for the final all day tickets. think i'll just sit on my ass and watch it on tv come january.

edit: oh that's the limited half price amount. still cba.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Monstergirl
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

(Everyone thinks this is Hemingway but it isn't)

I bet it was Proust.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Page 1 of 2