Hello, this may sound pretty pathetic to most but I've had a guitar for over 6 years and have really not learned how to play well at all. Self taught on everything that I do know at this point. I am into playing more metalcore, "scream", and stuff like that for example Parkway Drive, We butter the bread with butter, ect... I would really love to advance in my guitar skills. I can only play a handful of songs enough to list on here:

Jars - Chevelle
The red - Chevelle
Send the pain below - Chevelle
Here's to the past - A day to remember
Hansel Und Gretel - WBTBWB
Mario theme song
Green hill zone - Sonic the hedgehog 2

These are basically it. I know I could do much more and would love to but I'm not sure where to start (again) I just don't like to start with simple songs for some reason. If you all think I should go back to the basics it would probably be for the best on my part. Just any direction from here would be good just as long as it would help me learn more.

The skills I do currently have:

- Alternate picking (I can do it for about 5 seconds then screw up)
- Timing (I recently started playing drums which I'm pretty good at so far and my timing is good on both. Pretty much spot on)
- tremelo (barely at all)
- knowledge of the frets / scales (4/10 if that)
- I can read tabs very well

Any help at all would be appreciated.

-Donald8274
Quote by Vantage
You should try improvisation and increase your fretboard knowledge. Basic theory won't hurt as well. If you can read tabs well now, you should also learn how to read sheet music!

Thank you for responding first of all and I do improvise once in a while. My friend on acoustic and me on soft electric. It's very weird but when we improvise it sounds slightly jazzy but it's very fun to just make things up as I go. Probably because when I do improvise I stay on one or two strings, mainly the G and B strings. I should learn basic theory because I've never really looked in to it. I just got a guitar and started to play and learn the music I wanted to learn. I used to know how to read sheet music (I used to play violin) but I forgot it all. I'm sure it would come back to me as I start reading it again.
Quote by Donald8274
Thank you for responding first of all and I do improvise once in a while. My friend on acoustic and me on soft electric. It's very weird but when we improvise it sounds slightly jazzy but it's very fun to just make things up as I go. Probably because when I do improvise I stay on one or two strings, mainly the G and B strings. I should learn basic theory because I've never really looked in to it. I just got a guitar and started to play and learn the music I wanted to learn. I used to know how to read sheet music (I used to play violin) but I forgot it all. I'm sure it would come back to me as I start reading it again.

That's great! You should keep going at it until you're comfortable using all six strings, using double stops and common blues or jazz licks. There are a lot of theory lessons online, you just have to look for one that's the most clear and concise because unfortunately, a lot of people make theory sound more difficult than it is!
I suggest that you check out the more pertinent subforums of this website, Guitar Techniques and Musicians Talk, where more knowledgeable people will see your question. You should also read the stickied threads in those forums, which contain a wealth of information.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do