I plan on buying an EC-1000 and replacing the pickups myself rather than buying one with Duncans already installed as it works out to be cheaper. I was wondering which JB I should order though; the SH-4 or TB-4.
If it has a Floyd: TB-4, if not SH-4.

For that kind of guitar I wouldn't get either though.
What kind of music do you play?
There are probably better pickups for what you want out there.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
(Also, just thought I'd add, the reason I was going to choose the JB is because it's the pickup that comes installed on the Duncan version of the guitar)
The JB is an excellent choice for that guitar. Hard to go wrong with it.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I have a JB in a G-400. It is a good pick-up, but there are better pickups.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion, Duncan Distortion, GFS Fat Pat are all pick-ups you would probably like better.

I actually prefer the Fat Pat over the SH-4 and the Super distortion and it is a $30 pick-up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have to agree witth Robb. The sh4 and sh6 whilst being good pups, they aint that good. In fact in the past few years of doing a lot of pup swaps I can say that Seymore Duncan are my least favorites and usually don't "wow" me. except for the Prail set I just got since the whole idea of them is cool.

They(SD) are only marginaly if at all better than the pickups that come in that guitar. I have a Hamer that came with Duncan designed hb102 replaced the bridge with an sh6 and there was not much of a difference. And after reading the specs on the hb102 set they are a hotter sh2/sh4 set so that explains that......after I spent the time effing around

Now if the artists you want to sound like use those pups then ya, get them but there are better and cheaper out there. I personaly like Dragonfires Screamers over the sh4 or sh6 and a set of those is only $40 ....not $80 for 1
What the hell!!!
Quote by EFlatBrian
I plan on buying an EC-1000 and replacing the pickups myself rather than buying one with Duncans already installed as it works out to be cheaper. I was wondering which JB I should order though; the SH-4 or TB-4.

You should get the TB-4. Almost all modern guitars have the wider string spacing even if they don't have a trem system. Duncan's Trembucker (TB) spacing is actually slightly wider than DiMarzio's F-Spacing. Duncan's Trembucker is a closer fit for Floyd Rose bridges since it is slightly wider. DiMarzio's F-Spacing is perfect for most modern Tune-O-Matic (TOM) bridges even Gibson. SH spaced Duncans and regular spaced DiMarzios are actually spaced too narrow for most modern guitars. I am telling you this from personal experience and it even says that in the FAQ on DiMarzio's website. I have tried ALOT of pickups in the various guitars that I have owned. I currently work as a tech for my local guitar shop. And I was also a mod over in the GB&C here on UG for over 2 years.

Examples:
I had a Duncan SH-4 JB in my Gibson V and the pole pieces were too narrow.

I have a Duncan SH-PG1B Pearly Gates in my Epi SG and the pole pieces are too narrow.

I have a Duncan SH-12 Screamin' Demon in my Epiphone Korina Explorer and the pole pieces are too narrow.

My LTD EC-400VM came with a Duncan SH-4 JB and the strings and pole pieces didn't line up. It now has an F-Spaced DiMarzio Tone Zone and the strings and pole pieces line up perfectly.

My Jackson RR5 (TOM) came with a Duncan TB-4 in it and the pole pieces were spaced slightly too far apart (which is better than not far enough). It now has an F-Spaced DiMarzio Tone Zone and the strings and pole pieces line up perfectly.

My PRS SE Tremonti (non-tremolo model) has an F-Spaced DiMarzio Tone Zone and the strings and pole pieces line up perfectly.

That being said, either spacing will work. I have not really noticed any problems in my guitars were the strings and pole pieces don't line up. It's mainly just a cosmetic thing. Some players claim to be able to tell a difference but I don't know.

Here's a pic of the Gibson V that I had. Notice how both E strings just barely go over the outer edges of the pole pieces instead of crossing the center of them. With a trembucker or F-spaced pickup the string would cross the center instead of the edge.
I have never been able to tell unless the whole pup its self is off center. if the E srings are a little off like that V you can crank up he poles to adjust the output/response a little on those 2 strings
What the hell!!!
Well, thanks for the response on the sizing, but the point of a good pickup was brought up and got me thinking. I want something that has punchy strong bottom end and a lot of clarity. A few I've tried out with heavy mids tended to loose that clarity so I kinda want to avoid anything with major mid boosts. I tend to pull my tone from bands like sum 41 and some hardcore styles likes saosin on occasion. I really go for a balance between American and British voicing and I want a pickup that really highlights that tone.