I need help choosing a new guitar, recently I've had a chance to test a "CLASSIC SERIES '50S STRATOCASTER" with that so-called "Soft V" neck and I absolutely loved that neck. However, before I blindly buy the first guitar I've seen with that neck type I wanted to ask whether you guys know other guitars with that? (Within the price range of $1000)

PS. I play bluesy rock
PPS. the guy at the guitar store actually said that it's just a normal C neck but the fact that I could comfortably hold 2 strings instead of 1 with my thumb is enough of a proof to me.

Thanks in advance
Dude when you said hold two stings with my thumb my brain exploded. Is that honestly a technique blues players use??
Listen. I'm sorry.
Soft V's are amazing, hard V's too. If you like the C neck, I'd say get it. No reason you shouldn't try other axes out though.

Fretting with your thumb must be near impossible on that 8 string guitar.
Last edited by 2PtDescartes at Jun 29, 2013,
Try a Jimmie Vaughan Signature Strat. They can be picked up for under 500 used, have the soft V neck profile, and have decent pickups from the factory. The trem is actually the same vintage unit used on the high end American Strats, and they all feature maple boards, if you like them. I've owned 2, and they are one of my all time favorite Strats.
Quote by vilk
Dude when you said hold two stings with my thumb my brain exploded. Is that honestly a technique blues players use??

Not really sure if that has anything to do with blues players in particular.
Quote by vilk
Well I've seen that used outside of blues so...
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Try a Jimmie Vaughan Signature Strat. They can be picked up for under 500 used, have the soft V neck profile, and have decent pickups from the factory. The trem is actually the same vintage unit used on the high end American Strats, and they all feature maple boards, if you like them. I've owned 2, and they are one of my all time favorite Strats.

I've been looking around the internet, sadly didn't find any used ones within my country's auctions. I'll definitely keep looking for this one, thanks for the info!
Outside of signatures and 50's style Strats, they're pretty rare. You can get them from companies like Mighty Mite and Warmoth, however. A lot of custom companies like Suhr and Carvin offer them as well.

I feel you, man. I love the V-shape. It's incredibly comfortable to slowhand style players like myself. It's a pretty limited selection if you're not a S-Style or T-Style guitar fan.

Luckily, I am.

I second the recommendation for the Jimmy Vaugh Strat. Very underrated signature, along with the Buddy Guy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Baja tele has a v shaped neck
Fender Baja Telecaster
Gretsch G5422tdc
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Vox AC15C1
Quote by vilk

Traditionally it was how blues players held the neck so that they could do fancy stuff with chords. It’s also popped up here and there in rock. Carl Perkins did it, and Hendrix had such large hands that he could move his thumb around and play a bass line and lead line at the same time. Sometimes Prince frets power chords this way. It’s a technique that mostly died out as rock guitar teaching methods were established and music teachers insisted that thumb-on-the-center-of-the-neck technique was the only correct way to play guitar.