Poll: Are albums outdated as a music format?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are albums outdated as a music format?
Yes, EPs are better now
1 1%
Yes, singles are better now
0 0%
Yes, EPs and singles are both better now
2 2%
No, albums are still the best option
77 66%
No, but singles and EPs make equal sense now
26 22%
Something else(Post and explain)
5 4%
loljokeoption
5 4%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 2
Been thinking lately about various ways artists deliver music to listeners, how those listeners then listen to it, how a lot more artists have gone to releasing new songs by themselves or in sets of three or four every few weeks or months or something, instead of a new album every 1-3 years, and how a lot more people just plug in their headphones, and hit shuffle rather than picking and listening to a whole album.

Obviously, like anything with art, even if it's dying, there will still be a purpose(Concept albums, live albums, etc.) and a niche that wants that kind of thing, so albums will never really die off, especially since they've been a mainstay of popular music for 50+ years. But is it fair to say that it makes more sense with the way people listen to music and social media nowadays for a band to release a three-song EP every few months over the course of a year than a 12-song album at the end of the year?

Poll incoming. inb4 no potential, use the searchbar TS you dumbfuck, etc.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
no
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
No, albums aren't dying off. Most bands or artists release albums, and I think there are a significant group of music fans that appreciate the art of a well done album (and these fans are the primary driving force of income to these musicians considering they tend to be more invested in the whole experience).
Quote by darkcheef
People who shuffle are disgusting

People who don't listen to entire discographies from start to finish with no break don't deserve life.
I think the physical album is dying off, certainly. But I don't think artists are going to stop making cohesive musical statements like that for a long time, if ever.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
People who don't listen to entire discographies from start to finish with no break don't deserve life.

Once I decided to listen to all my albums in a row from start to finish in alphabetical order by artist before buying anything new.

I got about three AC/DC albums in a row before I quit. Luckily for my sanity I didn't get to Aerosmith.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Nah. People will like that format for a long time to come.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Yes, it's outdated. The commercial album, as an artistic concept, makes no sense. There is nothing artistically that binds a typical album or merits the amount of tracks on it. Rather, the number of tracks on an album are dictated by scale of economy for physical production. Since that's not really an issue anymore with digital, there is no need to have this requirement.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Really agree with Xiaoxi, but I also believe that an album by an artist should be representative of their audience's attention span. EP's and Singles are useful in the interest of idiot audiences.
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
No, but I think EPs and singles make equal sense now. Artists should be free to release as much music as they're comfortable with at one time, rather than being forced to write filler material. I suppose I'd like to think of EPs as 'mini-albums' and singles as 'standalone songs' though.
Everydayimshufflin.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes, it's outdated. The commercial album, as an artistic concept, makes no sense. There is nothing artistically that binds a typical album or merits the amount of tracks on it. Rather, the number of tracks on an album are dictated by scale of economy for physical production. Since that's not really an issue anymore with digital, there is no need to have this requirement.

What a load of shite.
Albums are the best, but it's more convenient for the mainstream to make sequels.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by darkcheef

This.

Pretty much every time I listen to music, I listen to it one album at a time. Seems fine to me.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
What a load of shite.

How so? I took him to be talking about the majority of popular albums that are created, which I would say he's right, it doesn't make sense.
I must admit that, for instance on my phone, I use shuffle. But I guess it makes more sense because I can't get that many albums on 2 GB, so I rather take the good songs from good albums and leave out the fillers. Then when I don't have the complete album, it doesn't matter if I shuffle or not. By shuffling I can also randomly select a first song and then I don't have to worry about what band I'm really in the mood for.

But I still like albums a lot more, so on spotify and in the car i exclusively listen to albums.

EDIT. I don't think that the EP and single are equal to albums, but they're getting more important than they were. But the option that their equal was closest to what I think so I picked that one.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Last edited by henrihell at Jun 29, 2013,
people who only get singles are tards
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jun 29, 2013,
If you count split EPs as singles, then I back them as totally valid. A well written EP can be as powerful as a full length. I think they all have their merits.

The album is far from outdated unless you're into Top 40.
Uhm. Probably getting there.

Very few full lengths get put out by anybody in the kinda scenes I listen to. Singles and EP's are much more common, because it's mainly club and DJ driven music who barely wanna play 2 of your tracks back to back, let alone 12.

And even if you make an album as a Dubstep producer, you'd have to limit yourself quite a lot experimentally to make a cohesive and worthwhile product. On top of that, it's possible to make tracks very quickly as a Producer because once you've written it, it's nigh on ready to be shipped - no waiting around to get in studios and pissing about micing things for hours. So you can make an album's worth of material quite quickly, and nobody wants 2 full lengths off you a year. Putting tracks out and just doing proper releases of the ones that fans want (after hearing them in mixes, or on Dubplate in the club) makes more sense business wise as well because you have a pretty strong indication that such and such song is going to sell.

So yeah, for the music I listen to, making and releasing a proper 12 track album once a year as your musical output would be insane and is a completely outdated way of doing things. I think the last Dubstep album I listened to is Skream's self titled and that came out when? Like, 2006?
Seems people only like one hit single from a album nowadays. Plus the fact that most people nowadays have short attention spans and like stuff with a catchy beat and don't take really a challenge to listen to.
Quote by Axelfox
Seems people only like one hit single from a album nowadays. Plus the fact that most people nowadays have short attention spans and like stuff with a catchy beat and don't take really a challenge to listen to.

You're a walking stereotype, it's ridiculous.
Quote by willT08
You're a walking stereotype, it's ridiculous.

Clear Channel Sucks!
Quote by Axelfox
Clear Channel Sucks!

But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by willT08
Uhm. Probably getting there.

lel. because your brand of music doesn't have much of a need for artistic continuity and doesn't utilize the positive benefits of a full album release the whole medium is becoming outdated? ridiculous.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
lel. because your brand of music doesn't have much of a need for artistic continuity and doesn't utilize the positive benefits of a full album release the whole medium is becoming outdated? ridiculous.

Well I can only speak about what I know.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Guy, it's pretty obvious that he wasn't talking about the medium in every type of music. >_>
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes, it's outdated. The commercial album, as an artistic concept, makes no sense.

Really? None of Rush's concept albums, make sense? Btbam doing a concept album makes no sense? Every song should be it's own entity and have no progression or a story?

There is nothing artistically that binds a typical album or merits the amount of tracks on it.
A group of songs are not an artists expression of music anymore?

Rather, the number of tracks on an album are dictated by scale of economy for physical production. Since that's not really an issue anymore with digital, there is no need to have this requirement.

If every band limited themselves musically by money then we would see nothing but really short albums and pop music. Everybody knows there it's rare to become a millionaire metal group. Why is that genre still around if nobody makes any money from it?

Come on Chiaotzu. I expected better from you.
Last edited by Jako215 at Jun 29, 2013,
lol someone get the Preparation H for thrash

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Emperor's Child
No, but I think EPs and singles make equal sense now. Artists should be free to release as much music as they're comfortable with at one time, rather than being forced to write filler material. I suppose I'd like to think of EPs as 'mini-albums' and singles as 'standalone songs' though.

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
If you think so you're an idiot tbh
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Jako215
Really? None of Rush's concept albums, make sense? Btbam doing a concept album makes no sense? Every song should be it's own entity and have no progression or a story?
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't consider that concept albums make an overwhelming majority of all record albums in existence...

A group of songs are not an artists expression of music anymore?
An album is not arbitrarily a group of a songs. An album (LP), bound by 99% of all recording contracts, has a minimum requirement in # of tracks and/or length. This is distinguished from EP's. We are running on 1940's conventions, is that outdated enough for you?

Guess what, if Rush wanted to make a concept album that's 2 songs and 6 minutes long, they legally cannot.

If every band limited themselves musically by money then we would see nothing but really short albums and pop music. Everybody knows there it's rare to become a millionaire metal group. Why is that genre still around if nobody makes any money from it?
Has nothing to do with any of this.

Come on Chiaotzu. I expected better from you.

You do and you got it. You just didn't want to hear the reality of things.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Artistically, no. the 40-70 minute album still a very relevant format for many artists in many genres.

Commercially, yes. It's much more difficult to make money on a full-length album than it is with EPs and singles in the iTunes age. As time goes by I can see LP releases becoming more and more of a niche market, especially in the context of pop/radio music where nobody really cares about the context of an album anyway
Quote by Xiaoxi

Nothing more needs to be said.

Anyone posting an opinion that is contrary to this one is an idiot.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
A coherent album will always outclass great singles.
Meaning a good concept album is better than an album/collection of random singles that are good. To me at least.

I won't disagree that if you're not making an album in which the songs are tied together somehow, then releasing as an album isn't really meaningful, except to make a physical release.
Last edited by RealUnrealRob at Jun 29, 2013,
Well the best form of music is a full, live symphony.

Behind that it is the album. If done right, the songs fit together to give the album an overall feel and story.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by darkcheef

We must all listen to this man, for his tale of one of great wisdom.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I listen to stuff album by album.

EPs piss me off a little because they're over too quick and I have to and fiddle around being indecisive over a playlist if I want a good 45 minute listen while on the way home.

also when you have a lot of bands you're into and very little free time, it'd get tedious constantly checking around for a bands latest 3 songs every other month. though I can tolerate songs being released in general groupings as long as they're at least 30 minutes of collected idea/themes
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by willT08
Well I can only speak about what I know.

Then next time actually speak only of what you know.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't consider that concept albums make an overwhelming majority of all record albums in existence...

An album is not arbitrarily a group of a songs. An album (LP), bound by 99% of all recording contracts, has a minimum requirement in # of tracks and/or length. This is distinguished from EP's. We are running on 1940's conventions, is that outdated enough for you?

Guess what, if Rush wanted to make a concept album that's 2 songs and 6 minutes long, they legally cannot.

Most albums are a grouping of songs bound together by common themes/ideas. Not necessarily concept albums.

Guess what, nobody wants to listen to a bunch of underdeveloped 2 song 6 minute concept "albums". The convention is such for a reason. Legally cannot. lel. Better call the cops on all of will's favourite artists.
Page 1 of 2