Page 1 of 2
Share any cool freeware or hidden gems that you’ve found online. Post a link and a short description. Please make sure that the source is secure before the whole Pit gets a virus. Even so, always scan files and download at your own risk. Also discuss the use of freeware and ask for recommendations.

AeroRocker Gold Standard® Seal: this signifies that I have personally used/tested the software and it is awesome.

Thanks to MH400 for the original thread. Some of these may be outdated, so let me know. More will always be added!

GENERAL

Freeware Files - "Has a LOT of freeware, some really good stuff too. Lots of free downloads." Windows

Download.com - "Lots of Freeware. All of them tested and virus free."

IZARC - "Zark is the best freeware archive utility supporting many archive formats." Windows

Ninite- “It loads a lot of general crap that normally needs to be loaded one at a time for hours.” Windows Linux

Oldversion.com - "Because newer is not always better" Windows Mac Linux

Portableapps.com - "provides portable versions of programs. What it does is provide a .paf file, which is kind of like the installation file, but it allows the programs to be self-contained, so you don't have programs writing to everywhere on your hard disk and potentially messing it up." Windows Mac Linux

Magic Disc - "It's a freeware iso ripping/mounting utility. pretty useful for stuff with aggressive drm that won't easily take a no cd crack or whatever." Windows

COMPUTER MAINTENANCE

ComboFix - "ComboFix is a program that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically." Windows

Spyware Doctor - "Spyware Doctor is an advanced adware and spyware removal utility that detects and cleans thousands of potential spyware, ad ware, trojans, keyloggers, spy ware cookies, trackware, spybots and other malware from your PC.” Windows

Piriform Defraggler - "Defrags your computers files. Can increase performance." Windows

CCleaner - "CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. Keep your privacy online and offline, and make your computer faster and more secure." Windows Mac AeroRocker Gold Standard

Recuva - "from the same people by CCleaner, and it undeletes stuff as long as you haven't overwritten the bytes on your hard disk, so permanently deleted stuff can also be recovered. Saved my ass a couple of times, so I like having it around just in case." Windows

Kill Disk - "Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders." Windows

Malwarebytes - "Protects your computer from most things" Windows

IObit System Care - "Keep your PC safe, error-free, and running at top speed." Windows

Avast – “It's an antivirus program which you can get for free for one year and just keep renewing that subscription.”

Revo Uninstaller –“ Uninstalls programs and searches the registry and the rest of your computer for any leftover files that the normal uninstall procedure may have missed. Paid version also available with extra features.” Windows

Autoruns - "A good piece of software if you have programs that forcibly start up when you log on and you dont want them to (like Windows Live Messanger). Also good for spotting low grade malware starting up on your comp." Windows

YUMI - "great tool for making multi-boot USB drives for Linux distros, PC recovery utilities, and the like." Windows

Bulk Rename Utility - "Rename multiple files with the click of a button. Batch renaming made easy." Windows

Avira AntiVir - "A low resource, strong antivirus. Only downside is you get a popup maybe 1-2 times a day asking you to buy the paid edition." Windows

Comodo - "Free Antivirus and Firewall." Windows

Sandboxie - "Creates a test partition that allows you to test files for malicious material without allowing access to the rest of your PC." Windows

COMPUTER CUSTOMIZATION

Stardock Objectdock - "“ObjectDock™ is a program that enables users to organize their shortcuts, programs and running tasks into an attractive and fun animated Dock. By allowing users to have more control over how they organize their desktop, users can take control of their desktop icons and shortcuts to have them be available when where and how they need them." Windows

Launchy - "Launchy is a free windows and linux utility designed to help you forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager.
Launchy indexes the programs in your start menu and can launch your documents, project files, folders, and bookmarks with just a few keystrokes!" Windows Mac Linux

Rainmeter - "displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts, right on your desktop. Many skins are even functional: they can record your notes and to-do lists, launch your favorite applications, and control your media player - all in a clean, unobtrusive interface that you can rearrange and customize to your liking. Rainmeter is at once an application and a toolkit. You are only limited by your imagination and creativity." Windows

F.lux - "It makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. Easier on your eyes." Windows Mac Linux

Classic Shell - The more familiar Windows interface for those using Windows 8. Windows

BetterTouchTool - "Let's you set up custom trackpad gestures and keyboard shortcuts, as well as giving you the corner snapping thing from Windows 7." Mac
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Jul 12, 2013,
AUDIO / VIDEO / MEDIA

Audacity - An easy to use piece of recording software. Can import programmed drums and other music files. I also use it to copy my favorite part out of a song, and create a new MP3 file with it. This way I can have my favorite segment of the song as a separate MP3. This is useful for taking good parts out of a song that you don't like. Windows Mac Linux AeroRocker Gold Standard

Switch Sound File Converter - "Perfect if you've just recorded something in Audacity, exported it as a WAV, and want to convert it to MP3" Windows

Reaper - "Proper multi-track recording, much better for recoding a song instead of Audacity." Windows Mac

GOM Player - "Multimedia player: It's awesome, nice interface, BETTER than VLC, doesn't need codecs...” Windows

AoA Audio Extractor - "“AVI to MP3, WMV to MP3. AoA Audio Extractor provides you a handy tool to extract audio/sound or background music from video files.
With AoA Audio Extractor, you can easily extract audio tracks from AVI, MPEG, MPG, FLV (Flash Video), DAT, WMV, MOV, MP4, 3GP video files and save them as MP3, WAV and AC3 formats.
It can also be used to save any portion of the audio of a video file. It supports batch conversion.” Windows

CD Burner XP - "CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs." Windows

foobar2000 - "lightweight, extensible music player" Windows

VLC - "video player with codecs built in" Windows Mac Linux

MediaMonkey - "music organizer" Windows Mac

Imgburn - "Burn ISO files to CD or DVD, Very simple to use." Windows

Daemon Tools Lite - "Makes simple disc image files and emulating virtual CD/DVD drives." Windows

BS Player - "free video player that doesn't need codecs. It also automatically seeks for subtitles if you would need them." Windows

K-Lite Codec Pack - "gives you a bunch of codecs so you can play videos without hassle. I install it every time I have to do a format or on a new computer. It hasn't given me any problems at all, so I can recommend it. Also comes with Media Player Classic." Windows

Xion Player - "a skinnable lightweight audio player, no better than any other player really but the customization is cool if you "theme" your computer like me." Windows

Winamp Media Player - "I am using windows but I believe there is a beta of a mac version. I have been using this for like 2 years and I love the way it is set up. It has dope visualizers plus I think it rapes itunes" Windows Mac

GUITAR RELATED

Riffworks - "It's a program for recording guitar riffs and arranging them into songs, but you have the possibility to create an account and record stuff with other people online." Windows Mac

Tux Guitar - " It's guitar pro but free.....and better. Can be used to play Guitar Pro files." Windows Mac Linux

Power Tab - " Power Tab Editor is a tablature authoring tool for the Windows operating system. It is intended to be used to create guitar sheet music, more commonly known to musicians as guitar tablature and bass tablature. The program provides the most commonly used symbols in tablature, including chord names, chord diagrams, rhythm slashes, bends, slides, hammer-ons/pull-offs, harmonics and palm muting." Windows

IMAGE EDITING / GRAPHICS

Gimp - Like Photoshop, but free to download. "GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring" Windows Mac Linux AeroRocker Gold Standard

Paint.net - "MS Paint meets Photoshop. A free image editing program with slightly less functionality than Photoshop, but it's very easy to use." Windows AeroRocker Gold Standard

Pixelmator - "A nice image manipulation software for Macs. Not as complex or detailed as either of Photoshop or GIMP, but far easier to use than GIMP, and probably easier to use than Photoshop, too. You get a free 30 day trial, but I've found if you uninstall it after 30 days, then re-download it, you can get another 30 days. Costs $59 to purchase if you should decide to." Mac

Blender - "Blender, a 3D graphics software for modeling, texturing, rendering, animating, etc. Pretty easy to use once you get used to it, although it does lack some simple features, but is pretty complex if you need it to be." Windows Mac Linux

Sketchup - "Sketchup by Google, you can use it for Computer Aided Designs (CAD), modeling 3D objects, or just building pretty objects within your imagination." Windows Mac

Gifted Motion - "GiftedMotion, easy-to-use GIF animator” Windows Mac Linux

DOCUMENT RELATED

Foxit Reader - "A small and fast PDF viewer." Windows Linux

File Shredder - "With File Shredder you can remove files from your hard drive without fear they could be recovered." Windows

Primo PDF - "Completely free PDF creator - Create PDF files from 300+ file types." Windows

Filezilla - "FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface." Windows Mac Linux

TeraCopy - "TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed." Windows

Openoffice- “: It's a bunch of different programs like Word and Excel for free” Windows Mac Linux

LibreOffice - "OpenOffice is on life support. LibreOffice is basically the same, but currently supported and a bit better IMO." Windows Mac Linux

Mendeley - "Desktop reference manager. I downloaded it cuz it was free and I didn't want to pay for Endnote but it's actually soooooooo much better than endnote. It's a lot faster and I like the interface more. Verified by guitarxo: I added, converted, and transferred 1000+ references in less than half the time it would've taken to do so on endnote" Windows Mac Linux

INTERNET

Mozilla Firefox - "Very popular Internet browser. Can add lots of customisation." Windows Mac Linux AeroRocker Gold Standard

Google Chrome - "Google's web browser" Windows Mac Linux

Opera – “The fast and free alternative web browser” Windows
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
MESSAGING / EMAIL

Hotmail - "Very popular Email service. Email address can also be used for MSN Messenger - "Send instant Messages to online friends".

Gmail - "Email from Google"

Pidgin - "Multi protocol IM client"

Skype - "Free calls, video calls and instant messaging over the internet. Plus great value calls to phones anywhere in the world." Windows Mac Linux

Colloquy - "Free irc client for mac. Simple, easy to use interface." Mac

OTHER

uTorrent - "Torrent client" Use at your own risk. Windows Mac Linux

7-zip - "Archive utility" Windows

QuietTube - "Blocks Youtube comments - To watch web videos without the comments and crap!"

Hydra IRC - "HydraIRC is an open-source IRC client with an attractive and easy to use interface. It supports DCC Chat and File transfers." Windows

Gyazo - "An instant screen grabber that automatically uploads the screencap to the internet and gives you a link."

Dolphin Emulator - "A Gamecube and Wii emulator." Windows Mac

Puush - "Screencapture software, it's slightly lighter than Gyazo." Windows Mac

Firefox Add-Ons
Coming Soon! Recommend some!

Chrome Extensions
Coming Soon! Recommend some!
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
*reserved*
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Autoruns.

A good peice of software if you have programs that forcibly start up when you log on and you dont want them to (like Windows Live Messanger). Also good for spotting low grade malware starting up on your comp.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Nice thread
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by EpiExplorer
Autoruns.

A good peice of software if you have programs that forcibly start up when you log on and you dont want them to (like Windows Live Messanger). Also good for spotting low grade malware starting up on your comp.

Couldn't running msconfig and taking it off startup work just as easy.
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Wow, ****ing awesome. Ill be using this thread for the next few weeks.

Edit: I'm loving the Aerorocker Gold Standard tag but you've only used like 4 of the programs
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Jun 29, 2013,
I recommend throwing Rainmeter under the customization list. Its great.

"Rainmeter displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts, right on your desktop. Many skins are even functional: they can record your notes and to-do lists, launch your favorite applications, and control your media player - all in a clean, unobtrusive interface that you can rearrange and customize to your liking. Rainmeter is at once an application and a toolkit. You are only limited by your imagination and creativity."
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
I prefer Kill Disk for clearing hard drives.

http://download.cnet.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html

"Active@ KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility. Active@ KillDisk conforms to US Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DoD 5220.22-M. The most secure Gutmann's data destruction method is also implemented. You can be sure that once you clean up with Active@ KillDisk, sensitive information is purged out forever. New Wipe function that wipes out all unused space on existing drives, not touching existing data. We highly recommend you to run this utility for the hard and floppy drives you want to dispose of, recycle, re-use, and sell or donate to somebody."
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Jun 29, 2013,
F.lux

It makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. Easier on your eyes.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
You should replace OpenOffice with LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/

OpenOffice is on life support. LibreOffice is basically the same, but currently supported and a bit better IMO.

EDIT:
You should also add Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) for the poor souls who are stuck using Windows 8, for whatever reason.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Last edited by muffinduck01 at Jun 29, 2013,
what kind of a bitch uses classic shell?

Windows 8 is fine as is.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
F.lux

It makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. Easier on your eyes.

I downloaded this program after reading about it in a similar thread to this some time ago. I just end up shutting it down every time it starts doing its business.
REGGIE
BS Player is another free video player that (as far as I know) doesn't need codecs. It also automatically seeks for subtitles if you would need them.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Maybe include http://www.oldversion.com/ in the general section?

I had some issues with uTorrent version 3.3. Every so often it would pretty much freeze up and display a '100% disk overload' message. I downgraded to version 2.2.1 and everything has been fine since. If you want to use magnet links reliably, then maybe use on of the newer versions, but I'd avoid 3.3.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
F.lux

+1 to this. I cannot live without it.

For realsies, I died when I turned it off.

For Mac users BetterTouchTool is pretty great. Let's you set up custom trackpad gestures and keyboard shortcuts, as well as giving you the corner snapping thing from Windows 7.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by muffinduck01
You should replace OpenOffice with LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/

OpenOffice is on life support. LibreOffice is basically the same, but currently supported and a bit better IMO.

EDIT:
You should also add Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) for the poor souls who are stuck using Windows 8, for whatever reason.

Agree with this. LibreOffice is much better than OpenOffice.

I think a section for Google Chrome extensions should be added as well, considering you're planning on adding one for Firefox.

YUMI is a great tool for making multi-boot USB drives for Linux distros, PC recovery utilities, and the like.
I like K-Lite Codec Pack because it just gives you a bunch of codecs so you can play videos without hassle. I install it every time I have to do a format or on a new computer. It hasn't given me any problems at all, so I can recommend it.

K-Lite also comes with Media Player Classic , which I really like because it's quite lightweight. I don't need all the bells and whistles. I just want to be able to quickly play and pause and have subtitles.

Bulk Rename Utility is pretty cool. I had to do a lot of renaming to organize the resources that my lecturers provide, and for some reason people love naming files without capitalization or with a lot of underscores. A lot of free music on Bandcamp and other websites also suffer from the same problem. I use BRU to quickly manipulate filenames. With smart use of the parameters (like remove x characters at the front or back, changing the case of the filename, adding prefixes or suffixes), I can usually get all the filenames to what I want them to be in one go. Doesn't require an install.

Recuva is from the same people by CCleaner, and it undeletes stuff as long as you haven't overwritten the bytes on your hard disk, so permanently deleted stuff can also be recovered. Saved my ass a couple of times, so I like having it around just in case.

http://portableapps.com/ is a website that provides portable versions of programs. What it does is provide a .paf file, which is kind of like the installation file, but it allows the programs to be self-contained, so you don't have programs writing to everywhere on your hard disk and potentially messing it up. I've been quite obsessed with maintaining my computer, so this has been a godsend. There are a lot of programs here, like Audacity. I usually try my best to obtain stuff here as it keeps my computer lean.

Edit: I've used all the programs on here, but they have been on my computer for some time, so I cannot guarantee the source is clean. Even if Rocker or I certify them now, you cannot expect the source to be clean forever anyway, so do some scans yourself before you actually use stuff. It doesn't take long, and it gives you an almost 100% guarantee the source is clean.
Last edited by triface at Jun 29, 2013,
VLC Media Player. Great free, fast and minimalistic media player with decent format compatibility. Don't have a link to hand though, on my phone.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Magic Disc It's a freeware iso ripping/mounting utility.
pretty useful for stuff with aggressive drm that won't easily take a no cd crack or whatever.

Also Xion Player is a skinnable lightweight audio player, no better than any other player really but the customization is cool if you "theme" your computer like me.

Both of these are windows-only.
Last edited by strait jacket at Jun 30, 2013,
Mendeley (windows/mac/linux)

Desktop reference manager. I downloaded it cuz it was free and I didn't want to pay for Endnote but it's actually soooooooo much better than endnote. It's a lot faster and I like the interface more. Verified by guitarxo: I added, converted, and transferred 1000+ references in less than half the time it would've taken to do so on endnote
cat
Winamp Media Player: I am using windows but I believe there is a beta of a mac version. I have been using this for like 2 years and I love the way it is set up. It has dope visualizers plus I think it rapes itunes
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Last edited by luvs2gro at Jun 30, 2013,
Avira AntiVir. A low resource, strong antivirus. Only downside is you get a popup maybe 1-2 times a day asking you to buy the paid edition.

ComodoFree Antivirus and Firewall.

Sandboxie. Creates a test partition that allows you to test files for malicious material without allowing access to the rest of your PC.

Gyazo. An instant screen grabber that automatically uploads the screencap to the internet and gives you a link.

Last one and kinda useful:

Dolphin Emulator. A Gamecube and Wii emulator.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Quote by thenextkirk92

Dolphin Emulator. A Gamecube and Wii emulator.

I might have to try that one! Didn't know a decent Wii Emulator existed.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
I might have to try that one! Didn't know a decent Wii Emulator existed.

It's been emulating Wii for quite some time already. As with such things, obviously try it with games you already own.
I've used TuxGuitar. It's safe, although i don't think it's still supported. It'll support GP5 tab, but not GP6. Been that way since the last time I've used it. Also, site seems to be no longer running. It ain't free, but even the demo version of Guitar Pro 6 just rocks by pants.
Quote by Angus_Junior35

This is the best thing ever on laptops.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Bair
Daemon Tools Lite
Daemon tools makes my computer get a blue screen

fk that shit
ggg1 ggg3

Updated!

Keep 'em coming.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
OS X only:
If anyone's on a Mac laptop, there's software called BetterTouchTool which is the greatest little app ever. It lets you create customized trackpad gestures and has tonnes of actions that you can create a gesture for or map to a keyboard shortcut. It also has a window snapping utility that lets you snap windows to quarter, half or full screen (like on every operating system other than OS X), which makes it a worthy app even if you're on a desktop.

The same guy also makes an app called SecondBar which is great if you use two monitors. Basically it just adds a second menu bar on you none-primary monitor and mirrors the menus for the current application. It's functionality is super limited at the moment, but it's still really useful.
Bump because I want some fresh software.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS

Magic Disc - "It's a freeware iso ripping/mounting utility. pretty useful for stuff with aggressive drm that won't easily take a no cd crack or whatever."

Literally just last night I was having trouble using Daemon Tools to try to rip a CD image that had DRM protections. Thank you for bumping this.

I can't think of anything to add off the top of my head, but I'm not sitting at my PC right now.
Deluge - Free and Open Source Torrent Client. Just as good as uTorrent but without any ads Windows, Mac, Linux http://deluge-torrent.org/

VirtuaWin - Great little tool for adding virtual desktops to Windows http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Notepad++ - Open source Notepad replacement. Includes syntax highlighting for a variety of programming languages, and has tabs for holding multiple files in the same window http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ Windows

Treesize Free - Great little program that analyzes your folders and tells you where all your space is being used https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ Windows

Speccy - If you ever wanted to find out what hardware is in your computer http://www.piriform.com/speccy Windows

Firefox Add ons
Adblock Plus - Pretty self explanatory https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

HTTPS Everywhere - Forces just about every website you visit to encrypt your traffic to and from it using HTTPS https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Private Tab - Allows you to use mix normal tabs and private tabs in the same window https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/private-tab/

Xmarks - Bookmark, history, and open tab syncronization across multiple computers https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/xmarks-sync/?src=search

Also, 7zip has both Mac and Linux versions, and Dolphin is on Linux as well.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Page 1 of 2