Hello! I have an ESP Horizon with Seymour Duncan 59 and Seymour Duncan JB, and while the JB is fantastic, I would like to change the 59 to either a Jazz or a Dimarzio Liquifire (more likely). The reason behind this is that I find the 59 almost unusable, it has very little output to the point where the pickup selector can function as an Eric Clapton button, I'd like something that can be used for solos, as I've always played solos using the neck pickup, the only issue is, my guitar has coil tap, and I'm wondering how I'd change a pickup and retain the coil tap function, is there anything special I'd have to buy, or do? Thanks.
are you sure there's not something wrong? in my experience, anyway, lower output neck pickups are almost always as loud as the hotter bridge pickup, just they're not as saturated/distorted and tend to be clearer.

have you tried messing with the pickup heights?

the other thing is, the jazz isn't really any hotter than the '59, i think.

but yeah i'd check too see first that there's not something wrong. it sounds like there's something wrong.

if you want to retain coil splitting ability you need to buy a 4-conductor pickup. but as i said, it sounds like there's something wrong with your guitar's wiring (or the pickup heights), so i'd get that sorted first. you might not need another pickup (probably won't).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For this problem, I wouldn't rectify it with a Jazz. I have the JB/Jazz in 2 guitars and find the neck pickup to be too low output compared to the bridge, even when it's closer to the strings than the bridge pickup. I don't know suggestions but I can tell you you're probably not gonna solve your issue with a Jazz.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you sure there's not something wrong? in my experience, anyway, lower output neck pickups are almost always as loud as the hotter bridge pickup, just they're not as saturated/distorted and tend to be clearer.

You misunderstand, the volume doesn't change, but the tone does quite dramatically, it gets that sort of bluesy overtone and I've heard many other people talk about the same tone problems I have, it being muddy and not as articulate as, say, an Air Norton, my previous neck pickup of choice. I was almost definitely going to go for a Liquifire, as I never play on clean, I have no interest in it, so I'm mainly asking if there's anything I need to do to safely change the pickup, I appreciate the help, however I'd prefer this topic to be about any technical details rather than the actual tone.
Yeah sounds like something is wrong, I use a '59 and it's perfectly loud. It's only 2 conductor though so I can't split or tap the coils...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Sorry, loudness is not the issue, the blues tone is an issue, which is why I'm changing the pickup, but I get it, four conductor pickup is needed, thanks.
ah ok. yeah, don't get a jazz then, it's similar to the '59 in that respect. I haven't tried the liquifire but i'm guessing it'd work. or just get an air norton since you know it works. EDIT: paf pro might be worth a try, too. it doesn't have tons of output but i think it's a little hotter than an air norton and is very clear-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 29, 2013,