Hey guys! I've been using my Roland Cube 20XL with my POD HD300 for long time and it was perfectly duo, but now I need higher-powered amp (min. 40W) for my POD HD.
What's important for me?
-good built quality
-sound source only from my POD. I'm writing this because my friend has got Marshall Valvestate 8040 and when I plug my pod to amp out/in input, the sound source is from POD and from amp.. So finally it sounds ugly.
-The amp doesn't have to got any effects. He can got only one clean canal. But if he will got any effects it doesn't matter.

My budget is about 500-600PLN to it is $150-180.
Of course the amp can be second-hand thing.

Have you got any interesting thing? Cheers and sorry for my english.
Last edited by Souther at Jun 29, 2013,
I would look into something like a used Fender Frontman 2x12. They might be hated because of their horrible driven sounds but the clean channel is pretty decent for that price range and works really well with modelling preamps.
What do you mean sound source only from the Pod? Do you mean to bypass the amp's pre-amp? Most amps you can go right into a Power Amp in input, but I don't think it makes much difference as long as you keep the amp clean.

As far as what amp, maybe a small secondhand tube-amp. Traynor have some cheap ones. Also Peavy has a few, the Windsor's a one channel and it's pretty cheap.
I used a B-52 Ls-100 for this purpose with my GT-10.

It's only like $50-100 used. Just go straight through the poweramp.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Powered foldback wedge. Then if you buy a decent amp down the track you'll have something that's still useful. It's not gonna be some old shitty amp that sits in the back of the garage that you bought years ago when you still thought modelling was neat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 29, 2013,
If you can find a Crate Powerblock, they work quite well and they actually have a stereo input on the back that completely bypasses the preamp so it just uses the power amp. That's what I use with my Pod HD500 and I've been quite happy with the results.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Tech 21 Power Engines. It’s a solid-state power amp built into a speaker cabinet. The Power Engines are designed to not compress the sound so that you get exactly the tone you dial in on your modeling unit. Don’t get anything with tubes, because the combination of compression in the tube amp models and in a tube power amp sounds gross.
Quote by Souther
He can got only one clean canal.

Have you tried cleaning the canal?

OR

I think what your friend needs is a new canal... BADUM-TISH!!!

Serious note; if you want an unaffected tone, get a powdered wedge...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by jinsu2301
I would look into something like a used Fender Frontman 2x12.

I can't find second-hand amp. And new is too expensive. :/

Quote by sykryk
Line 6 DT 50 sounds ideal...

You're right perhaps, but it costs over $1500 :/

Quote by Leather Sleeves
What do you mean sound source only from the Pod? Do you mean to bypass the amp's pre-amp?

Yes. I want to bypass the amp's effects and sound. I just want to get sound from my POD at all.

Quote by Kyleisthename
I used a B-52 Ls-100 for this purpose with my GT-10.

It's only like $50-100 used. Just go straight through the poweramp.

It sounds good, but I will have to buy amplifier too. And I'm afraid it can be too expensive.

Hm. I used to plug my POD to aux in input in my Cube 20XL and then I get sound only from my POD. I couldn't change the volume/sounds etc. via Cube 20XL. And it's my mission now xD Maybe should I buy something with this input?
I'm into VOX AD50VT or Peavey Bandit/pyvyr. I know these amps have got effects, but VOX for example has got "bypass" function to bypass sounds from amp and get sound only from POD I guess.. Does it work this way how I think?
The Bandit is a great platform for pedals and MFX like your POD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Some people say bandit is great for multieffect, and other people say multieffect kills bandit.. Damnit I don't know who I can believe.
Hmm.. And maybe Line6 Spider IV 75? Line6 with Line 6 should works good. What do u think?
How does a MFX kill a Bandit?

Seriously, man - powered wedge. Ideally you want a PA, right? Well, a powered wedge is a miniature PA. It's useful for more applications and sound better than a cheap guitar amp. You want a 12" wedge ideally. Say, 200W? Any smaller and they start to get a bit cheap and nasty. Smaller ones (speaker-wise) sound a bit boxy.
A powered PA bin would work just as well if you can find one cheaper than an actual wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 30, 2013,
I'd be watching the used market. PA gear comes up for sale cheap quite a lot.
So Craigslist. ebay, etc. depending on where you live. Something will pop up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Souther
Line6 with Line 6 should works good.

Not a rule by any means.

There's been a loooooot of mention of using a guitar amp, but a foldback wedge is your best route for this price range.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Ok. I understand. I've seen keyboard amp too. What do you think about it?
Quote by Souther
Ok. I understand. I've seen keyboard amp too. What do you think about it?

Keyboard amps are usually just a big powered PA speaker and are fine for guitar modeling.
Foldback wedges are more versatile beyond using modelers (used as a stage monitor, for example) than keyboard amps.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
The only Line 6 amps that would work well with the POD HD are way out of your budget. The line 6 spider does not take FX well at all (I've owned one).

A powered monitor would be great, and a Keyboard amp will work well also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm.. Okey guys. Thank you. But we have to change topic I guess.. xD Yesterday I was at music shop, and I played on various guitars. From Vintage v100 to Gibson Les Paul. I was with my dad, and he wanted to hear vacuum tube amplifier. And it happened. Dad said he will give me more money for vacuum tube amplifier, because it sounds ****ing awesome. I played on Blackstar ht-5r and it sounds amazing (and I can use it with my POD). and other one, but unfortunately I don't remember a name of it. So.. The other one amplifier costed $400, and blackstar $550. Have you got any others good vacuum tube amplifier to $500?
I'm sorry for changing the topic, but you know.. If you hear something in real life, everything can change.
Link doesn't exist no longer. By the way: is Laney Aor Pro-Tube 30 good?
Because I can get fender frontman 212r or this laney. What is better for my POD to home and sometimes on the gig?
Last edited by Souther at Jul 3, 2013,
Quote by Souther
Link doesn't exist no longer. By the way: is Laney Aor Pro-Tube 30 good?
Because I can get fender frontman 212r or this laney. What is better for my POD to home and sometimes on the gig?

The Laney is way better than the Fender. Don't let the 30 watts fool you, it can easily get louder than you ever want.

The AOR is basically a hot-rodded Marshall JCM800.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okey. I've bought Laney Aor Pro Tube 30. And I think it will work and sound great. Thanks guys for help.