I have a growing collection of Japanese Yamaha guitars from the late '70s, the latest addition I picked up today and needs a good old clean. Some of the dirt/stains are quite worn in and I was wondering if anyone had any tips of what to scrub with?

I've heard that the old nitro-cellulose finish is quite "easy-wearing" so I don't want to risk using anything that might burn through it. Any suggestions from UG?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
A brillo pad and some beer should do the trick.

But seriously there's like a billion threads everywhere about this. Naptha, Dunlop 65 etc.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

a soft cloth and some polish.

If you've really got some gunk on there than a soft cloth with some naphtha (lighter fluid) will work but be careful.

Nitro wears pretty quick so be careful with solvents. Don't leave anything on there any longer than you need to. Especially when we're talking about vintage guitars like that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Dunlop 65 works great on nitro finishes. I've had no problems with it on my nitro finish guitars. Just make sure you follow the directions and do not spray it directly on the finish.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

One may still attempt :P Cheers guys, I'll pick up some Dunlop 65 and have a go with that. It's nothing too bad, it's just that the Ivory White Super Flighter (Yamaha SF500) I just picked up has a few grimey marks on it that show up really badly on the white body!

Thanks!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..