i have a guys Hohner 300 series guitar all torn apart. i seem to be a magnet for hohner owners to dump their crap on me for some ungodly reason.
anyway... the saddle is all cracked. its just a regular straight saddle. i have a compensated saddle sitting here that fits like a glove, just needs a bit of sanding to lower the action. what would be the difference in using this as opposed to waiting til monday and driving an hour away to get the correct one?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Put it on and see if it pings in the correct place.

Just slap a tuner on, bring the guitar up to pitch with the compensated saddle. Ping it at the 12th fret. If the harmonic matches up directly above fret 12, and the tuner says it's the same note, you're gold.

I've been curious about this for some time, since I have guitars with fully compensated saddles, and standard straight saddles. I've wondered exactly what you're asking, but phrased thus, "if a guitar has a straight saddle, is it possible that a compensated saddle would work better"?

After all, in many cases you're moving between the same scale lengths. So, are the makers fudging the issue when they just slap a straight saddle into the guitar? Dunno.

The worst that could happen, is the guitar's intonation won't track as far up the neck as it would with the correct saddle. In any case, you'll probably be gold up to at least 7.

The only problem you'll run into in a test run is this. Intonation changes worse by fretting with high strings. In other words, the higher the string, the sharper it becomes above the desired pitch when fretted. So, it would be a bit tough to differentiate that error, from the latent intonation of the guitar, unless you grind down the saddle. And then well, you're committed....
Although, I think Martin uses a 3/32" compensated. Too rich for my blood and mostly right handed to boot....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 29, 2013,
yep, same width and length. fits like a glove. i tried it already. good idea to check it with harmonics. 12th is fine. dunno why i have 3 Hohners here with issues. i'm not a luthier...i break things, that's my specialty...not fix them.
this one came from my neighbor's dad. dont know him, he just knocked on my door and asked if i coud look at it. i should lay clays by my front door. everybody knows to use the driveway door. only salesmen use the front. should check on the legality of claying my sidewalk i guess.......
I edited my post above with extra info.

In the real world, it depends on whether your guy is a semi pro, or a beginner.

Intonation annoys the crap out of me with a 12 string, but the sixes are much easier to live with. With the 12 the issue is differential sharpening between the strings in the octave pair when you fret. Nothing like that with a six.

Hope this helps.

It's mostly the B-2 string that has the most offset in the saddle. It has to be because of the tuning being down from the perfect 4th of the rest of the strings.

Claymores? Those'll leave a mark!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 29, 2013,
There would be no noticable difference at all, certainly you wouldn't be able to hear the difference. Compensated saddles, although correct, are compensated very little and are nothing more than a reason to add another £ 40 on the price of the guitar. Most guitarists are tone deaf and drunk when they bang out their meaningless chords and twang. The guitar is a bog standard folk instrument. A wooden box to be bashed around. Yours probably is played out of tune for most of the time. Just glue it on and bang away.
Hmm.... More trolls under the bridge.....yeeeeehaaarrr!!!
Quote by stepchildusmc
Hmm.... More trolls under the bridge.....yeeeeehaaarrr!!!
I'm here for you Step, I didn't try to troll you.
Aww...I'm all weepy now! Thanks for the advice cranky. It helped. Gonna put up an anti-luthier sign. Cheaper on my homeowners than clays.
I dunno, maybe the building inspector would take a wave off if you tacked a couple fifties to a long pole and let him snag then with his tail hook.