Has anyone else had this happen before? My amp has a really bad crackling/buzzing sound (kind of a hard sound to describe) on the clean channel. However, when my distortion pedal is on there isn't any crackle or buzz at all, it's only when I turn the pedal off.

I noticed it last week at band practice. It was fine during the week when I practiced at home at low volume, but when we practiced today it started again, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with the playing at high volumes.

The amp is a solid-state Fender Frontman 65 (Yes I know its a shitty amp. I'm saving for a better amp but until then I need this amp for band practices.)

Also recommend me a new amp
Q is for Cheese
The pedal is faulty. When playing at high volume it is just making it more apparent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 29, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The pedal is faulty. When playing at high volume it is just making it more apparent.

Thanks, I'm gonna try a different pedal and see if it works. If anyone else has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated
Q is for Cheese
Quote by KinkyC
Thanks, I'm gonna try a different pedal and see if it works. If anyone else has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

What sound are you after and what is your budget? A used distortion pedal won't set you back much. The goal is to save money for a better amp and spend less on a pedal you won't use in the future.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
What sound are you after and what is your budget? A used distortion pedal won't set you back much. The goal is to save money for a better amp and spend less on a pedal you won't use in the future.

Well my band plays prog-ish alternative rock. Tool is a band we're really influenced by. Budget would be preferably be under $100, like you said I'd rather be saving up cash for the new amp.
Q is for Cheese
The crackling went away for about a week and then came back today. Once it started I unplugged the distortion pedal and it went away completely. I plugged the pedal back in and the crackling was back.

I guess the quest for a new distortion pedal starts. If anyone has any suggestions they'd be appreciated.
Q is for Cheese
Maybe a Hardwire TL-2. I think it's fairly versatile, should cover you for whatever sounds you want.

Whatever you get, make sure you get it used. When you get a new amp, you won't need it anymore, and if you get it used you can break even on it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X