Poll: Marshall DSL40C (2012) or Blackstar HT-40?
Poll Options
View poll results: Marshall DSL40C (2012) or Blackstar HT-40?
Marshall DSL40C
25 93%
Blackstar HT-40
2 7%
Voters: 27.
I tried both of these amps today and put a deposit down for both. I'm having a think about it before I go back to the shop next week, have another try then take one home.

Has anyone tried both of these? I love them equally for different reasons and can't choose one over the other (and buying both isn't an option!!!)

It's the revised 2012 40w DSL combo or the Blackstar Venue Series HT40. Both have the same valves and speaker!

I play stuff like Black Keys, Gary Moore, Rival Sons, Black Stone Cherry... basically hard bluesy rock
I'd pick the Marshall over the HT.

That being said I wasn't overly impressed with either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
I'd pick the Marshall over the HT.

That being said I wasn't overly impressed with either.

+1

I thought both amps were very mediocre
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a proper British DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haven't tried either amp but if you put the Black Keys first in your list, I'd assume you'd want to get a similar tone to Dan Auerbach. To do so you'd need a fuzz pedal.
I wouldn't purchase any amplifier that's not orange.... but that's just my shitty opinion.
Quote by asdfjkl989
I wouldn't purchase any amplifier that's not orange.... but that's just my shitty opinion.

Yeah that is a stupid opinion.

You should play some other amps.

However Orange is better than both those by a large margin.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I think the DSL40C is right where it should be for a $700 combo, although for the type of tones you are chasing, especially Black Keys, I would prefer a big-bottomed Fender like a Deluxe.