Unfortunately I had to sell all my guitars the last time I moved, so I'm in the market for buying a new guitar when my paycheck comes in next month.

I've been having a lot of slow days recently so obviously I've been racking my mind over the possibilities. However I've also struck upon some ideas for customization of the new guitar as well.

Normally I'm not that into custom designs and stuff, I usually like a nice clean guitar. This time though I want to do something different. Between the second hand options available to me and my somewhat strict price range at this time, I'm likely to be getting something in a strat shape. Which of course usually come with big pick guards. A proper custom pickguard would be completely out of my price range of course so I've come up with some more cost effective ideas.

To get to the point, I've come up with two ideas. Firstly was getting a standard clear pickguard and getting a window sticker style sticker printed to stick to the back and show through. The second idea is the opposite, just getting a big vinyl sticker to put on the front of the regular pick guard (or a spare just in case I'd need to resell the guitar as original).

Has anybody seen much of this or tried it themselves? I'm really interested to see how something like this usually works out visually and wear-wise.
I've seen the clear pickguard idea on youtube and it looks like it can work really well. But, any "standard" pickguard that you buy is very unlikely to fit your non standard cheap strat. So the solution is either a custom pickguard (expensive I know) or buy the material and make your own. Making your own is surprisingly easy, so long as you have something to cut it with.
Therefore, a better idea may be to get a small custom vinyl logo done (not a big sticker, as it could get scagged or scratched easily) and this would be much cheaper.

Hope this helps

thats what a clear pick guard will look like (thats my guitar), just remember, you'll need to ground the guitar though as the original guard acts as one (an opaque guard will have a sheet of metal underneath).
Quote by Pafiki
I've seen the clear pickguard idea on youtube and it looks like it can work really well. But, any "standard" pickguard that you buy is very unlikely to fit your non standard cheap strat. So the solution is either a custom pickguard (expensive I know) or buy the material and make your own. Making your own is surprisingly easy, so long as you have something to cut it with.
Therefore, a better idea may be to get a small custom vinyl logo done (not a big sticker, as it could get scagged or scratched easily) and this would be much cheaper.

Hope this helps

Most strat copies are similar enough to standard Fenders that generic pickguards will fit. It's when you get into stuff like Pacifica territory that things get mismatching.
I have three strat style guitars and none of the pickguards are at all compatible so I must be pretty unlucky
Quote by Explorerbuilder
The pickguard does not and isnt place for a ground at all... You are getting it confused with shielding.

my apologies.