So how do you keep your settings on your gear intact? use a marker to mark the knob position? Add some duck tape? do something else?

I tried putting some paper tape on my overdrive and when I was taking it off it kind of peeled the coating layer or something.

I also saw this marking marker on Facebook, that's like green, is easily wiped off with your finger but I wrote to them and couldn't get no additional info

what'd be your two cents?
i keep mine in "tact" ¯\(°_o)/¯ by having an axe-fx

and that's been my post for the year.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I just remember settings I like.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by mikeyElite
i keep mine in "tact" ¯\(°_o)/¯ by having an axe-fx

and that's been my post for the year.

I have both an analog pedals board and a digital mfx (Digitech RP355)

using both at the same time

still want to keep my separaate pedals in "tact" ¯\(°_o)/¯
I remember them all really, i don't need everything to be identical every time anyway but it's not really hard if you know what each pedal does to get em back to the sounds you need.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 30, 2013,
I just know my gear well enough that I can get everything sounding the way I want every time. That and I just remember the basic general settings. Like my rat always has low gain, high filter, high volume. If it doesn't stay in the exact same knob positions, it'll usually sound pretty close to how I want it if I just follow that general guide.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
At reheasals i only asjust when something is needed. The amp settings are the same every time at reheasals. When i play show i change my settings so it sounds good at the venue. I don't really use one type of settings
Watch some of the videos of guitarists on the road showing their amps and pedalboards. Some of them have really creative ways from keeping their settings getting botched while in transport or by a guitar tech. Paul Gilbert puts gaffe tape over his pedals (not duck tape, that leaves residue) and some guys will draw the setting on stickers and then put the sticker on the pedal itself (like the guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Writing them down or drawing diagrams in a binder is also a good idea
Quote by Tracii Lee
Watch some of the videos of guitarists on the road showing their amps and pedalboards. Some of them have really creative ways from keeping their settings getting botched while in transport or by a guitar tech. Paul Gilbert puts gaffe tape over his pedals (not duck tape, that leaves residue) and some guys will draw the setting on stickers and then put the sticker on the pedal itself (like the guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Writing them down or drawing diagrams in a binder is also a good idea

what guy from the peppers john or josh
F*ck Chuck Norris ... SpongeBob grills under water
Uhm... Man, I just watched the video the other day. I think it's John... Hang on, I'll go look it up again

EDIT: Nope, Josh Klinghoffer. The video I'm talking about is the Premier Guitar Rig Rundown they did with his guitar tech. He doesn't do it on ALL of his pedals, mainly his delays, but he has little stickers with his settings drawn on them
Last edited by Tracii Lee at Jun 30, 2013,
I just take pictures, but I basically remember anyway from staring at my stuff so much when practicing
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I just take pictures, but I basically remember anyway from staring at my stuff so much when practicing

Exactly this way.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I keep a piece of paper in the bottom of my pedal board case with a little diagram I drew out of my pedal board on one side and my amp on the other.

For the pedal board side I just draw a nice sized rectangle for each pedal, in order of how I have them set up, and then i just draw circles where the knobs would be and make a line where it's supposed to sit (or sometimes write '6 o'clock'), for selector switches I'll make a smaller circle with a horizontal line either above, below, or through the circle to indicate whether it's supposed to be up, centered, or down.

For the amp side, it's literally just a line of circles with different lines coming off of them, much like the pedals.

I also keep a notebook filled with these little diagrams (along with other notes) in case I need to rerecord something so that I know the exact settings I used to do it, the only difference is that I add a circle below the pedal boxes and fill them in if it's on.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jun 30, 2013,
For stomp boxes I draw circles on a card and mark where it is and stash that away.

For my amp I found a drawing of the settings that give recommendations for settings and I ms-painted a template and save different settings on those. I printed out a page of them and have it setting on my amp most of the time.

Lately I've just been going with what ever sounds good by the day
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Little triangles of electrical tape.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Eppicurt
I just remember settings I like.

This. I also prefer playing songs I cover in different settings. I get varied [read: sometimes, really ] bad results, but I do get interesting sounds.
I don't ever have anything exact. I know what kind of tone I want and then I just get that tone. I remember settings roughly and then just fine tune it.

I guess I should take pictures, but I've never been that anal about recreating tone to the exact point it was at before, but it would save time.

I have a rack unit now so on there it's a lot easier.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I used to use a marker on painter's tape on the knobs, but I'm always tweaking them now, except on my Decimator, which I just have to remember stays around noon.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by Mephaphil
I don't ever have anything exact. I know what kind of tone I want and then I just get that tone. I remember settings roughly and then just fine tune it.

this. everything sounds different in different rooms and on different stages anyway - i tend to just set the amp EQ in the middle and adjust things depending on whether i want to hear more or less of certain frequency bands.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Small dot stickers to indicate where the levels should be. Although I am prone to tweaking if needs be.

Simple things like playing a really "dry" room can mean that I'll have to make adjustments to my amp settings and as a knock on, I have to tweak a couple of pedals here and there. Since I pretty much refuse to play to a click (unless essential in a studio setting) my delay is a kinda inexact science and feel thing when it comes to setting the time on it.

As mentioned above, though, I know my tome well enough for it not to vary dramatically from gig to gig or session to session.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.