Right, I am currently learning how to repaint guitars, and Ive had a lot of interest from friends, who have donated me their guitars, knowing full well that I am a beginner, but dont mind, because they should get a half decent paint job out of it.
One of my friends is wanting a bass guitar, designed around the mario games. I want to know legally how far I can go with this.
I know tattoo artists frequently tattoo band logos, characters etc. for customers, and they dont seem to get into any trouble for it. Would this be the same case with guitar repainting?
What if I was to draw a picture of, say, mario. Since this is my own drawing, would it be legal for me to use on a paint job?
This area really confuses me, and I can't seem to get a definitive answer. So in summary:
-Can you use other people's work? (I doubt it)
-Can you use work based off other people's work, but not actually their work?
I think that if you use their intellectual property deliberately then they can sue you, regardless of whether or not you are making money off of it. However, that depends on whether or not Nintendo really cares.

If it's a knock-off, then I think you're good. But, the line is pretty blurry.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't think that the owners of the "Mario" brand will worry about one guy in Sheffield painting one guitar for his mate. If you set up a factory and made 10,000 guitars they certainly would want a piece of the action. Don't worry about it.
You can do whatever you like in terms of painting I think just aslong as you dont say make a guitar with for example the nintendo logo on it and put loads of their products on it then sell it and make a profit on it (like making a business out of it).
just doing it for your friends for free and stuff they will have no problem
Quote by devourke
nah you should be alright

Quote by PSimonR
I don't think that the owners of the "Mario" brand will worry about one guy in Sheffield painting one guitar for his mate. If you set up a factory and made 10,000 guitars they certainly would want a piece of the action. Don't worry about it.

Quote by broken-frets
You can do whatever you like in terms of painting I think just aslong as you dont say make a guitar with for example the nintendo logo on it and put loads of their products on it then sell it and make a profit on it (like making a business out of it).
just doing it for your friends for free and stuff they will have no problem

/thread
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
You can paint whatever you want on your guitar. Just don't profit from their copyrights/trademarks.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Well, technically, a copyright/trademark can not be reproduced without permission of the holder.
It makes no difference if you are profiting or not.

So in the strictest sense, yes, you would be violating the copyright.

That being said, One guy painting something for a friend is not going to be worth the time, money and effort. They would spend more money taking you to court than they could recover.
Just don't put it on the front page of your website as an advertisement of your services.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do