Hey UG,

I've got a little collection of Yamaha Super Flighter electric guitars from the late '70s, and they all have some paint scratched off the pickups. As with the Yamaha SGs, the pickups are kind of like open humbuckers but with black painted metal around them.

When I got one of these guitars the paint had scratched off quite badly so I took a friend's suggestion and resprayed with acrylic paint - obviously covered the un-painted sections of the pickup. Since doing this, which was only about a month ago, it's already scratched back off thanks to strumming over the bridge pickup.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to repaint these in a more "durable" manner?

Thanks in advance!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Powder-coat is the best solution, but it requires special equipment. I repainted my wah pedal years ago and I still haven't found another decently long-lasting solution.
Quote by Invader Jim
Powder-coat is the best solution, but it requires special equipment. I repainted my wah pedal years ago and I still haven't found another decently long-lasting solution.

Great thanks, I'll have a look into it! Does it tend to be quite expensive?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Just looked at the process... Surely the baking part will do some damage to the pickup? At least the rubber coating of the wire coming from it, if not the actual coil inside?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

I thought the part to be painted was seperable from the actual pickup? Anyway as for expense, my dad used to do this at home and he said the powder-coat machine was only $100 or so. He actually still has the powder-coat and bead-blasting stuff. As for the baking, you have to have an electric oven and you can never use it for food after you bake the paint as the paint fumes would poison any food you tried to cook. The oven can't be gas because it could explode.

The bake temperature is around 300° iirc so you wouldn't want to put the actual pickup in there.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 1, 2013,
I haven't had too close a look at the construction of these pickups yet, but from the top it looks like the "cover" is actually built around the tops of the coils, so that may not be possible..

I'll check it out, but this sounds like a good option, thanks dude!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

since most people don't have an extra oven lying around, would a toaster oven work? you can pick one up for under $50, and could fit a few pickups or pedal enclosures in there. might not be a bad way to do pedal finishing actually.
Invader Jim, can you post some kind of picture, or link to one of those powder coating machines? Sounds interesting.
Mg sora: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

Something like that. Harbor freight is cheap and usually junky but if you'll only be using it once in a while then its fine.

Jimmy: a toaster oven would work. My dad used a toaster oven that he transplanted into an old microwave (for the extra space).
I know a place near me that does powder coating, so I'll happily just pay for it as I don't have the need for my own machine really.

Just a thought though, at 300º won't the pickup covers bend and misshape? That could be a problem..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid

Just a thought though, at 300º won't the pickup covers bend and misshape? That could be a problem..

I think he means 300 °F, which is about 150 °C. Unit specification is important with this being an international forum and everying .

The problems as far as bending and misshaping come as a result of cheaper and older ovens where the heat is not properly distributed, which results in uneven heating and therefore expansion of parts.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ah cool, thanks guys! Let the restoration begin ^_^
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart