Budget? - About $600-700 abouts.
Genres? - Modern death metal and progdeath. The Black Dahlia Murder, Bloodbath, Between the Buried and Me
New or Used? - Used
Home or Gig? - Both. Fine tuning a bedroom volume isn't very important to me though, I can throttle the crap out/fine tune the volume with my GT-10.
Closest City? - Southern California: Inland Empire & San Diego County
Current Gear? - Ibanez S420, LTD EC-1000, Peavey 6505 & MS412 (WGS), Boss TU-3 & CS-3 & GT-10 & NS-2, MXR M77, Morley Little Alligator, Danelectro Fish & Chips

I understand that nothing is going to work for me straight up as well as the 6505 is. I know I'll have to boost the crap out of whatever else I get, and that's okay.

Some important things I need, please read:
- No FX loop signal bleedthrough. This is the problem with my 6505.
- I would really like channel volumes and master volumes, but this isn't important if there's no bleedthrough.
- 1 or 2 channels max. No 3+ channel amps, unless it's a design where I can choose 2 channels to switch between with a 1/4" jack. Must have a 1/4" jack for switching channels so I can control it with my GT if it's 2 channels.

The top amp I'm considering right now is a Marshall SL-X. I'm trying to find out more info about that amp as well.

Thank you. Don't feel bad if you want to yell at me because what I want is not possible in my budget. If it's not, recommend the cheapest amps that are and I'll just have to save up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 30, 2013,
So the GT is what you're using for your effects and distortion? What about something like a Peavy Windsor? They're single channel and pretty cheap. Just curious why you're looking for a new amp, did the 6505 die or something?
Quote by Leather Sleeves
So the GT is what you're using for your effects and distortion? What about something like a Peavy Windsor? They're single channel and pretty cheap. Just curious why you're looking for a new amp, did the 6505 die or something?

Not at all. My GT is basically a $500 EQ. But it's my "central hub", it lets me control everything with minimal tap dancing. I very much want the dirt to come from the amp.

Nothing wrong with the 6505, it just has some design flaws that I don't want to deal with.

Quote by Ippon
I've seen BTBAM with AxeFx with MB power amps, MB Dual Recs, Dr Z, Fender Twins, Thunderverb 200, and Orange PPC and Port City cabs.

I am considering a POD HD rack w/ tube poweramp. Probably a Peavey 50/50. The idea is on the table anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I read your other thread too and I really don't know what you mean about "FX loop bleedthrough." Can you describe what is happening? Because the amp you have really can't be beat for that tone, at least in the same ballpark of your price range.

Other than that, maybe try a EVH 5150 III? You might be able to score one used. When I tried one I wasn't that impressed with it, but then I saw the band Decapitated using them and they were brutal as f#@K -- that amp is great for all ranges of death metal...and has excellent cleans too!
A POD HD might be the best you'll do for that range if a 6505 isn't doing it for you. I love mine for recording, but I just didn't care for it for live use. Maybe a little too digital sounding? I have a few live recordings from a local venue that records straight from their mixer. With the compression they use from the mics, the digital sound really comes out.
Quote by KailM
I read your other thread too and I really don't know what you mean about "FX loop bleedthrough." Can you describe what is happening? Because the amp you have really can't be beat for that tone, at least in the same ballpark of your price range.

Other than that, maybe try a EVH 5150 III? You might be able to score one used. When I tried one I wasn't that impressed with it, but then I saw the band Decapitated using them and they were brutal as f#@K -- that amp is great for all ranges of death metal...and has excellent cleans too!

The way the amp is designed, some of the signal from the input goes all the way through to the output, regardless of what happens in between those two points. If I have a killswitch in the loop, or put a volume pedal all the way down to 0 in the loop, there will still be sound.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Maybe send your 6505 to FJA or someone and have it modded?

yes? no? ish?

Modding was the first thing that crossed my mind. But I don't know if the issue is even something that can be practically fixed. Definitely don't want to send it to a modder, shipping costs for doing that would be stupid. I will try to find out if something like that can even be fixed though.

Quote by R45VT

Do you know anything about the MkIII?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you can extend your budget a bit, MB RoadKing or RoadKing II. The Tremoverb is very nice, too, and less expensive. In the spirit of tweaker amps, check out the Rivera Knucklehead series: K100 (awesome Clean, lots of Gain), KTré Top, KTre Reverb, and KR100 (increasing gain).
I was actually considering a Tremoverb before I got my JSX, and the main point against it is that the loop is parallel? So it wouldn't work well with my GT?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So that's just an inherent flaw with the 6505's? At least that puts me at ease, I thought mine was broken . It doesn't bother me too much.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Offworld- contact Craig @ CEC. I know the ASG hybris loop is series.

I will probably pick one up by the end of the year if everything goes to plan...

Most amplifiers have shitty loops. I do believe most Marshall's are parallel.

The Hybris is 1K. It's not that far out of budget. Ask Craig about the FX loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jul 1, 2013,
Quote by ExDementia
Mesa Mark? Are you opposed to combos?

Here's a 50 Cal for $500 if youre willing to drive ~45 mins: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msd/3885352784.html

You may need a boost, but they're pretty good from what I've seen.

He wants an amp with serial FX loop. He will not be happy unless the amp has that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I picked up my mkiv long head for$780. Troll cl.

I have since seen probably a dozen mkiv combos are $800ish.

May not be 100 percent but all i know iis with my timmy,, puresex.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Is it purely the signal bleed getting you down? Or are are there other issues with the 6505?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Over on the Marshall forum I was told that all JCM900 amps have serial loops.

Looking for a head only.

I wonder how long the Hybris head is? It would be cool if it could fit into a rack... Since Craig designed it I'm quite sure there's nothing to worry about design wise.

The bleedthrough is the major problem. I can't use my Little Alligator to do swells right because volume pedals only work right for that in the loop. In front of the amp it just sounds shitty, more of a gain roll off than a volume roll off.

Do all Mesa amps have parallel loops? I know at least in the Rectifier amps it's a relatively easy mod to change it to serial, but I'd rather not have to mod anything. It's not totally off the table. I have not been very impressed with the Dual Rectifiers/Roadsters I've played though, gain/tonewise. I haven't played a Tremoverb before.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Maybe send your 6505 to FJA or someone and have it modded?

yes? no? ish?

An email to them couldn't hurt to see if they can fix it?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey