Green_Ghoul
3,307 IQ
how to I get recordings to have that lofi charm? I'm using a zoom r8 right now and everything is crisp (I use the direct input then into my laptop)...Would it be better to get a cassette recorder or something like a tascam porta 03, or is there a way to get that with a digital recorder?
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
"Lo fi" can mean a lot of things, but more than likely you'll be using a bunch of filters to simulate poor frequency response, and maybe some distortion. It would help if you gave us an example, otherwise I'll just tell you to go full Ulver and record on a four-track in the woods.
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
I can sell you a cassette recorder cheap. It's only 4 tracks but it has sat in my closet for too many years.

(I conveniently am trying to sell all the old stuff I don't use anymore).
tim_mop
1,688 IQ
Analogue tape is what you want.

But get a plugin for it, because even though it's not quite as real it's a lot cheaper!

Also try iZotope Vinyl. Free plugin that can degrade recordings to a specific era. Very cool!
paulears
21 IQ
Disagree - so many reasons NOT to use analogue now to record the absolute best quality you can, then experiment with processing to give you the sound you want. In my book, lo-fi recordings now stick out some much from the rest that they are devalued!
Last edited by paulears at Jul 1, 2013,
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by tim_mop
Analogue tape is what you want.

But get a plugin for it, because even though it's not quite as real it's a lot cheaper!

Also try iZotope Vinyl. Free plugin that can degrade recordings to a specific era. Very cool!

This is a great plugin. I recommend as well.
Green_Ghoul
3,307 IQ
@calvacade - here are a few examples of stuff that I'm going for -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMEAJlKem0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2nJWNgZBA

The first track was recorded on a 4track cassette recorder and used the line input instead of an amplifier.

I'll give that plugin a try before buying a cassette recorder (I only have a few blank cassettes and they're pretty expensive). Is it free and will it work on FLStudio? I also have Reaper, but don't like using it as much even though I spent the 60 dollars to get it.
Last edited by Green_Ghoul at Jul 1, 2013,
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
Me plugging my Vypyr 15 into the 3.5mm input thing in the front of my PC via the cheapest aux cord I can find gives that kind of sound.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
I can sell you a cassette recorder cheap. It's only 4 tracks but it has sat in my closet for too many years.

(I conveniently am trying to sell all the old stuff I don't use anymore).

yo what other old stuff do you have?

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my
My

My

And Call Me V
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
Quote by paulears
Disagree - so many reasons NOT to use analogue now to record the absolute best quality you can, then experiment with processing to give you the sound you want. In my book, lo-fi recordings now stick out some much from the rest that they are devalued!

I agree with this. I think that getting the best possible quality to start and then processing with a plugin will get you where you want, but you also still have good stems if you want a "clean" mix. you could also record from a line out to tape later if you wanted. but if you record lo-fi now, you cant change it to high quality later.

Quote by tim_mop

should have said it isn't quite as reel...
missed a great opportunity there.
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
728 IQ
Quote by Vendetta V
yo what other old stuff do you have?

All I got left is a cassette tape recorder, Line 6 UX2, Casio CZ-1000, and Behringer C-1.

Oh and a Spider III amp lol

Only real great thing is the CZ.
tim_mop
1,688 IQ
Quote by jof1029

should have said it isn't quite as reel...
missed a great opportunity there.

Nooooo! what a shame!

iZotope vinyl is totally free. I believe you have to sign up and get an e-newsletter, but it's not a regular one. I forgot to mention it can add things like tape hiss, vinyl scratch etc